Is there a way to export my portfolio view to excel or a CSV on Mac 2018

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Is there a way to export my portfolio view to excel or a CSV on Mac 2018?  I found in the support forums a workaround to be able to select the info, copy it and paste it into another app that is supposed to work in Quicken 2017, but it does not seem to work in Mac Quicken 2018.  Anyone know if there is a way to do it?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    No, they broke the workaround in QM18. About the only option is to take a screenshot for printing, but that won't get it into Excel.

Please go to the link below and VOTE in the upper right corner:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/portfolio-report-s34cxgbvlfxxp
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Darn. Sad to say, @RickO is correct. You used to be able to select-all, copy, and paste into excel. I can’t do a select all any more; not with cmd-a, and not by dragging. I will go vote...
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    It's really pretty sad that they did all the work to expand the options for viewing the portfolio and customizing columns, yet left out the ability to print and export.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

No, they broke the workaround in QM18. About the only option is to take a screenshot for printing, but that won't get it into Excel.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/portfolio-report-s34cxgbvlfxxp

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Types and the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Thanks all.  I added my vote to the feature request topics.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

And with the making of the Portfolio Report, you can also add your VOTE to Export to spreadsheet or CSV ASCII file.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Can I hear more discussion about what you'd like this export to do?  Do you simply want to paste the portfolio view into Excel with the same formatting that you can see in the portfolio view or a slightly different format that might be better for editing and manipulating in Excel?   For example, we could include the security as a column in the table that would appear with its corresponding lot as part of each row so that one could create a cross-tab from it.  Or we could maintain the visual hierarchy of the portfolio view which might look nicer in Excel but isn't as usable.  Thoughts?  It would also be helpful to hear what people want to do with it?  Are you pasting into Excel for more in-depth calculations or is it to print out for record keeping. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    The functionality I would really like to have is to have the ability to export the current portfolio view into an Excel Spreadsheet.  The purpose is be able to use Excel to do some analysis, and to work with other data that is not in Quicken.  My interest from Quicken is in getting the same visible content and formatting that is in the current portfolio view into an Excel spreadsheet somehow.  For me, most of the time I am trying to balance investment allocations across a number of accounts so the summary security,symbol,quantity,current-market-value, etc. without the detail lot data is all I need.  I rarely need anything associated with specific lots.  For those rare occasions, I think that including the security as a column in the table that appears with its corresponding lot as part of each row would be preferable.  

I have no preference whether there is an export menu item or button to create a new spreadsheet with the Portfolio data;  or whether the user needs to do a manual selection of the data, copy to the clipboard and then paste into Excel.

The other thing I would like to have is the ability to print out the portfolio view into a report.  I don't need the graphics from Quicken, just the text (columns and rows of data) of what I can see in the current portfolio view.  If I can export it into Excel, I could just do my own formatting and print from there.  Having a Quicken report would be convenient.

I want to print out my portfolio for two reasons.  One is record keeping, the other is so I can create a printout that I take with me to a financial advisor without needing the whole computer.
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Similar to what @Darryl said, I import (or right now retype) my portfolio into Excel so I can do pivot tables and other kinds analysis I can't do in Quicken, with additional columns I add.  I want these columns on each row:
       account name, security name, # shares, current price, total basis cost, current market value,
    and optionally:
       the symbol, asset type, asset class, Qualified or non-qual (i.e., IRA/401k vs regular broker)

I also do NOT want per-lot or per-transaction information, just what's in the main portfolio view.
    The data should be "as of" the date I choose!

Are there any other fields?  How about a dialog where I can select what fields I want from everything available!

Don't forget to include a line for the cash in each account.
  • John C
    John C Member ✭✭
    Daryl Washington and John Burgess covered most points. I will be more specific opn what would be generally useful to most users who have a working knowledge of Excel, diverse portfolio IRAs and regular stock investments and more than one brokerage account. Provide a means to export portfolio information from Quicken to a csv or Excel format as in Quicken 2007. I am still using Quicken 2007 even though I would like to switch to 2018 just to have some of the download features for brokerage accounts. I have been running both in parallel for a few months but I am going to go back to 2007 for everyday use and just reload Quicken 2018 quarterly or semi annually to have a backup when 2007 no longer functions on Mac OS.

In the 2007 version one could set up the Portfolio window with a variety of columns headings displayed and in a customized sequence of columns. The entire portfolio report could be exported to an Excel spread sheet and then manipulated for a variety of reasons. The ability to label, sort add information to each asset is not there in Quicken either 2007 or 2018 so you need the export funtion. For example, I have used the exported data from the 2007 version spreadsheet to
    • combine Roth and Traditional IRA into one grouping to see overlap in mutual funds
    • combine identical stocks or mutual funds in IRA and non IRA accounts to see total exposure
    • label mutual funds by investment type (large cap, growth, small cap, etc.) and sort to see how assets are diversified
    • identify % of each mutual fund by class (US stocks, foreign stock, US bonds, foreign bonds etc.) then look at total asset in each class to view allocation

There are other ways an investor might want to work manipulate the portfolio export if it was available. It cannot be that great of an effort to go back to features that were available in 2007 and would increase the versatility of the app considerably for investors.
This discussion has been closed.