Report on dividends (or anything else) export to CSV?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I can select all my investments accounts and filter by year and a text filter for "Reinvest" so I can see all my dividend reinvestments for the year. I can print this as a pdf. What I would really like to do is export the column data as a CSV or some format where I can work with the data. Or, why can't I create a report to show all these types of transactions? If I am missing something, advice appreciated. If not, please consider this as a feature. 

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Sorry, saw a similar post just now that did not show up in my search. I see the answer is I can't do this, but others wish to do something similar as well. And yes, I voted for the feature. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/portfolio-report-s34cxgbvlfxxp
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    What version of Quicken Mac are you using.

I have Quicken Mac 2017 and I've set up REPORTS > Category Summary > Customize and select THIS YEAR and selected just the investment accounts.

All your dividend reinvestments, short term capital gains and long term capital gains will show there.  You can select taxable investment accounts or taxable and retirement accounts, if you wish.

Quicken Mac will save the reports for you to refer to later.

Additionally, you could run a Tax Schedule report and your Schedule B and Schedule D transactions will also show there for your taxable accounts.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Qmac 2018 does have the ability to export register transactions to a CSV file. One can filter/sort the transaction register as desired and then export.

From the menu bar - File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File...

The link you referenced is primarily concerned with exporting the Portfolio View to CSV. This is still not available in QMac 2018.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I have Quicken Mac 2017 and I've set up REPORTS > Category Summary > Customize and select THIS YEAR and selected just the investment accounts.

All your dividend reinvestments, short term capital gains and long term capital gains will show there.  You can select taxable investment accounts or taxable and retirement accounts, if you wish.

Additionally, you could run a Tax Schedule report and your Schedule B and Schedule D transactions will also show there for your taxable accounts.

Are you able to get reinvested dividends and reinvested capital gains included in this report? If so, how? These amounts always get ignored when I try to create a report of all investment income.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Yes...either way.

Just follow my directions above.  Make sure you use a New Report, then a Category Summary Report , select a date range (This Year) and select ONLY your investment accounts (taxable, retirement, or all) and select ALL the categories.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Same as Bill, my reinvested dividends are not showing up in the report either - and that is what I need to know about. I am using 2018 Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    JM said:

Qmac 2018 does have the ability to export register transactions to a CSV file. One can filter/sort the transaction register as desired and then export.

The link you referenced is primarily concerned with exporting the Portfolio View to CSV. This is still not available in QMac 2018.

Thanks! I see now. You have to SELECT ALL the items in the transaction register otherwise that export option is ghosted... Seriously Quicken?

However, there is another problem. I am not getting data I can work with in the export. Instead of one column for shares and one for price, an entire cell for my 100+ dividend items has a text string, for example, "51.779 shares @ 30.900172.

So, now I need to write some little text parsing functions here? Jesus, it never ends with these guys. 

In summary, instead of a built in report, that would be so easy yet does not work to include reinvested dividends, I need to:

1. Filter transactions by time period and string "Reinvest"
    2. Select ALL
    3. File - Export - Register Transactions to CSV File
    4. Open file in Excel
    5. Write two functions to parse # shares and price from the export "data" column 
    6. Enter a few functions and/or use subtotals to view my dividends by fund, stock, account, taxable, non taxable...

So easy! So glad I have Quicken 018 to do all this for me!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

What category do you have for your reinvested dividends?  Are you using the correct Type of transaction (Reinvest...and then Dividend, Long Term Capital Gain, Short Term Capital Gain, Interest)?

Here's a screenshot of my report, as I set up using the above:

And when I click on each Category, I can see each individual transaction by date, account and amount.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

BTW...I have Quicken Mac 2017.  You have 2018.  I have zero knowledge of what's available and what works in 2018.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Thank you. I was using the wrong report sequence.

Clicked Reports - Category Summary (NOT "New report" - that is what I did before)
    Clicked Customize, then choose accounts and categories.

Bill, this works. Works in 2018. Thank you again!

P.S. From your screen shot, we have almost the same amount in dividend earnings this year. :-) Thankfully I pay estimated taxes on this, so less pain with the return this year.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    JM said:

Thank you, this makes sense . However, I was able to get to my ultimate goal (info on reinvested dividends) via the advice above. A few little usability quirks kept me from understanding how to make a report that, in my case, eliminates the need to export and manage this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Sorry about that.  I had the sequence correct in the original post.  In the second, I added in the "New Report" report.  That does NOT work.  You have to use the "stock" Category Summary" report in Quicken Mac to get this to work.

Sorry about the typo and misleading you.  

As to the dividends and capital gains, I've still got more coming in as it's end of year dividend time.

I'm retired and have retirement income, which I "generously" withhold taxes from upon withdrawal.  

I'm still getting money back from the IRS.  
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I still cannot get it to work. I select category summary (not new report), select date range, investment accounts, and all categories. The report shows zero "Money In."
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

That is truly bizarre Bill. I just did what you said and I get all kinds of money in and out. Have you tried clicking Customize in the upper right to verify accounts and/or categories are selected? I'm sure you probably did, so apologies for what is probably useless advice. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

B Hawks, good for you. That we are all here talking about this demonstrates that we are each working toward retirement. I am amazed that so many of my coworkers, friends, family... many who make good money are so uninvolved or committed to learning about all this and managing their retirement.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

P.S. Bill is Quicken displaying any accounts or categories in the header section of your Category Summary report?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Bill...make sure that TAGS is set to NONE and PAYEES is set to NONE. 
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Payees set to NONE solved the problem. Thank you all.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Yes, that is a poor criteria selector...Note too that it is not possible to select BOTH transactions with Payees, categories or tags with the ALL/NONE selector. You may want to add your VOTE to Add Selection Criteria for -No Category- and -No Tag- on Reports.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    So...let's get the instructions completely correct now...so there is NO confusion for Quicken Mac users...

To create a report on reinvested dividends and capital gains in Quicken Mac:

1 Reports

2 Category Summary.  Make sure you use the "stock" listed Category Summary report.  DO NOT USE New Reports!

3 Create a name for the report

4 Use This Year as the Date Range

5 In Accounts, select ONLY your investment accounts

6 In Categories, select ALL ... or place a checkmark for the Investments main category...which will then select all the subcategories under the Investment category.  

7 In Tags select NONE.

8 In Payees select NONE.

You'll now have your report for reinvestments.

And Quicken Mac will automatically save this report and have it in the Reports list.

In my case, I've created reports for Reinvest Dividends and Capital Gains for my taxable investment accounts...and then one for ALL my investment accounts.

You'll also have the opportunity to export this report to a .csv file by clicking on the "Export csv" in the upper right heading area of the report.

You can then manipulate this data in Excel or Numbers. 
This discussion has been closed.