Migrating Quicken 2007 Mac file to Quicken Deluxe Mac 2018 locks up

I'm attempting to migrate my Quicken 2007 v 16.2.4 data file to Quicken Deluxe 2018 v 5.4.4.  My file is aprx 250 MB.  The process starts, but there is no progress, even after leaving it to run overnight.  The new Quicken 2018 file being created gets to about 25 MB, but then never gets any bigger.  I even tried creating a new Quicken 2007 file to import, but the same happens, except the resulting 2018 file is only 2.5 MB.  I've attached a copy of the contents of the package file below from my main data (not the new one I created).  My guess is there is something corrupt in the data files.  Is there a way to repair this?  (I've tried reindexing the file but that didn't help).
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Dan

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    That 2007 file format can be quirky because it is the same basic forked file structure since when Quicken first came out for Mac in the mid 80s, yet it is now running on three decades newer Macs using a totally different processor architecture.

In your screenshot, I see a few oddities: why do you have so many database files and Quotes files? In my experience, there should only be one. I also don't know why the Acronyms and PayeeSubstitution are showing as UNIX executables-they should be blank icons. (That data file doesn't tolerate being on any other format disk other than HFS(+) But, I don't think that is your migration problem. But, you also appear to be having the problems creating new files in 2007. I won't tackle that here.

You can look at this: https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-opening-quicken-mac-unable-open-file but I don't know if opening the root data base will solve your problem. It is something to look at.

I wish you luck. I have found is that there are soft limits to this database structure. (Such as no more than a combo of 256 categories, accounts, classes, etc.) You go over that vague number and weird things happen. There is also a limit to price quotes.  I normally don't focus on database size, but 250 MB for a very dense database originally designed to be stored on a 1.44 MB floppy indicates you have a lot of history. If everything checks out, you might have exceeded on of those unspoken bounds and the file is failing silently.
  • Daniel Borden
    Daniel Borden Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thank you for your helpful post.  I think I do have a very large number of quotes.  Is there any was to trim that, or would I just delete the file and let Quicken create a new one?

However, a curious thing happened.  I thought I'd try to create a new file and migrate that, just to see what would happen.  When I was creating the file in Quicken 2007, it threw up an error the Quicken has detected corrupt data in the file.  It first happened when Quicken 2007 tried to create a backup of the new file as part of the set up process.  But now every time I try to open that new file, I get the error.  I don't get any such error with my main 250GB file.  I've tired re-indexing it, but I get the error as soon as I press Command-Option-B.  Could my copy of Quicken 2007 or any of the support files be corrupt?
  • John_in_NC
    edited December 2017

Thank you for your helpful post.  I think I do have a very large number of quotes.  Is there any was to trim that, or would I just delete the file and let Quicken create a new one?

However, a curious thing happened.  I thought I'd try to create a new file and migrate that, just to see what would happen.  When I was creating the file in Quicken 2007, it threw up an error the Quicken has detected corrupt data in the file.  It first happened when Quicken 2007 tried to create a backup of the new file as part of the set up process.  But now every time I try to open that new file, I get the error.  I don't get any such error with my main 250GB file.  I've tired re-indexing it, but I get the error as soon as I press Command-Option-B.  Could my copy of Quicken 2007 or any of the support files be corrupt?

You certainly could reinstall 2007. There aren't any support files-the program in the Applications folder is all there is to it outside of the .plist preference file which isn't likely to cause file specific problems. My big question is whether a reinstalled version will update to 16.2.4 after the Intuit separation. (2007 is no longer supported.) If you try that route, I would right click/compress the old application and tuck it away. Then reinstall and try to update. If it doesn't, you have the old zipped version to revert to.

If it were I, I would:
    1. Quit Quicken 2007
    2. Make a backup of your 250 MB file and COMPRESS it. (This way no program can accidentally open it.)
    3. Go into the package contents of the original file in step one. Note which database is the most recent. (It likely is "Data") NOTE: Make sure the one you select does not give you the option to show package contents in the context menu. You need to keep drilling down until it does not.)
    4. Right click and copy/paste that database to the desktop
    5. Hold down the option key and launch Quicken. (This will force it to ask you what file to open)
    6. Point the Open dialog to the recently pasted desktop database icon. 
    7. Quicken should open your old database.
    You will lose the Quotes this way, but it basically is rebuilding the file outside of the transaction database. See if it opens correctly in 2007. If so, try converting that file into 2018. Hopefully, it will work, but you will figure out if the actual database itself is kaput.

If it works, you can manually import the older quote history for each security via CSV in 2018. A hassle, but better than starting over.
  • Daniel Borden
    Daniel Borden Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Thanks John.  I'll probably try that.  I may decide it's not worth it at this point.  The whole reason I was looking at Quicken 2018 was I wanted to upgrade to High Sierra, and first reports were Quicken 2007 wouldn't work with High Sierra.  But it now appears that other than an issue with creating automatic backups, for which a simple workaround exists, it still largely works.  Since I have a fusion drive, and not an SSD, I may not even have that issue (at least now but i know that's probably only temporary).  I was going to run both 2007 and 2018 side by side to see if 2018 was an acceptable alternative for me.  Regardless, I know I'm just kicking the can down the road by not upgrading.  I hate to think I'll just have to start over from scratch, but that may be the case.  Thank you again for your helpful posts.
  • John_in_NC
    edited December 2017

I have a 2 year old High Sierra iMac with Fusion, and 2007 appears to mostly work. But, I stopped using that program years ago.

In any case, my suggestions aren't hard to try (reading them probably takes more time.)) So, if you can retain your data, great. If you need to move on fresh, well, I guess you have accepted that.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

See if this FAQ helps, and related links at the bottom (some stuff you already know): (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.