Migration of budgets and reports to 2018

Options
I've been a Quicken user since the DOS version in the early 90's.

For the past 7 or 8 years I've been running Quicken under Virtual Box since I'm a Mac user.

Each new version brings along its own migration challenges.

I just bought Quicken Deluxe 2018 and thought I might be able to run quicken directly on the Mac without Virtual Box.

After conversion to 2018 on the Mac I've run into a couple of things which are possibly show stoppers for me.

The documentation says that budgets and reports are not migrated from previous versions.

Without my budget and reports Quicken is useless to me.

Starting over with budgets and reports is just overwhelming.

If I continue to run the Windows version under Virtual Box will my budgets and reports be migrated?

If not, are there any plans to include the migration of pre-2018 budgets and reports in future versions?

Without that I have a useless piece of software.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    One thing you didn't mention is what Windows version you are migrating from.
    On a Windows to Windows conversion the budget will be retained if the version of Quicken you are migrating from isn't too old.

As for when anything will be added to the conversion from Windows to Mac, no one will be able to tell you any kind of schedule or if they are even planning to do it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    QPW said:

On a Windows to Windows conversion the budget will be retained if the version of Quicken you are migrating from isn't too old.

As for when anything will be added to the conversion from Windows to Mac, no one will be able to tell you any kind of schedule or if they are even planning to do it.

Since Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac don't have compatible data files (shared files that can be read by each other) there is no logical reason to think that reports and budgets would be compatible and available in each.

Personally, you're lucky if you can convert your Windows data to Mac without some cleanup and finagling.  Took me quite some time to accomplish that.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    QPW said:

Data file compatibility has nothing to do with the ability to migrate...that is a conversion issue, simply mapping settings from one set-up to the other. The budgets and reports themselves are not really stored as such...so the conversion is technically possible; it is just a matter of actually programming it.

Of course, converting reports over from QWin cannot yet fully happen since many of the report types and features have yet to be implemented in QMac. So that has to take place first.

So on that note, you may want to add your votes to:First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the: Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post and a few below that too. BTW, the columnar-type report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post a little lower; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    QPW said:

You may also want to add your vote to requests found on the 
    List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac
    This is a special list that draws attention to requests specifically related to this topic. Click the underlined link to visit that page to see the selection and add your VOTE to promote that list, to encourage others to vote. Then click on the links there to vote on the specific requests.

While you are at it, I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in Quicken end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content. Your VOTES matter! 
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.