share volumes wrong - no way to edit

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken Delux 2015 - use updates to Schwab and Quicken has doubled the share volumes making the investment tracking useless.  Can't find a way to remove the bad number and replace with accurate number of shares.  Suggestions?  Is it possible or is it time to find another online budget application?

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Bob,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

Has the shares for one specific security double or is everything in this account double?

When was this account last correct? Were there any changes that happened?

Let me know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Only a few select stocks have had volumes double.  From what I see they are stock splits: 2:1 where the 44 have become 88.  Also sold some money market funds and can not remove them from the accounts.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When you say volumes, do you mean the number of shares you hold?

Of course when a stock splits, the number of shares you hold is supposed to double.

Are the splits entered correctly in Quicken, not twice or anything?

Are there Placeholders in the account? Make sure the setting to show hidden transactions is selected so you will see any placeholders.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Jim, yes a 2:1 split would increase 22 shares to 44, but when quicken then increases then to 88, how can I edit them back to 44? Should be a simple edit, but there is no place to do it in quicken. My account is at Schwab and they show 44, quicken shows 88. Not all stock volumes just a few. Also I sold a mutual fund, gone in Schwab, not in quicken. Messes up your net worth when quicken takes over.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Review your transactions.

You should only have one Stock Split transaction recorded (in any one of your investment account registers ... that transaction applies to all holdings in all registers)

If the brokerage downloaded Add Shares transactions, delete them. That's what most likely causes your duplicates.
    Also look for Placeholder transactions and get rid of them.

If you sold a Mutual Fund ... where's the Sell transaction in your register?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the reply but it seems there is a mis-understanding, as I've said, there is NO way to delete them!  That is the issue.  The investment house count is correct, Quicken is wrong.  There should be a way in Quicken to edit the # of shares and also to delete transactions so your investment accounts can reconcile with your investment house.  If not, then Quicken has a system that is not accurate and financial books that are not trusted, are not useful.  Should be a simple software editting fix.  If anyone knows how make the edit, please reply.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the reply but it seems there is a mis-understanding, as I've said, there is NO way to delete them!  That is the issue.  The investment house count is correct, Quicken is wrong.  There should be a way in Quicken to edit the # of shares and also to delete transactions so your investment accounts can reconcile with your investment house.  If not, then Quicken has a system that is not accurate and financial books that are not trusted, are not useful.  Should be a simple software editting fix.  If anyone knows how make the edit, please reply.  

Are you even looking in the transaction list for the account in question?  The transaction list is where the transactions are recorded that change the share quantities (and everything else).

Make sure the transaction list is properly sorted - by date.  Click the Date header at the top of the column.  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Any investment transaction can be deleted. Right-click on the
    transaction in the transaction list and choose Delete from the resulting pop-up menu. Or
    left-click the transaction and press CTRL-D.

If you have two Stock Split transactions where only one is needed, or if Schwab sent you erroneous Add Shares transactions, deleting the erroneous transactions is the right thing to do.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

can not be deleted in my version.  Have tried several times, left click, right click and does not work in the stock investment to remove or edit them.  Gives a message it cannot be deleted as it is being used someplace else.  Duh! If it was used in the past and was sold, then yes, but if it was doubled in quantity, then you should be able to edit the number of shares.

I'm getting the impression from the responses that people are trying to be helpful, appreciated, but do not understand the simple question - How can you edit the number of shares in an investment portfolio?  Clicking (right or left) does not work, editing the stock only allows you to change the name, symbol, etc not the transaction volume.  Productive replies greatly appreciated.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

You are looking in the wrong place. You are looking in the Portfolio view and attempting to delete an entire security. This yields the message "You can't delete this security, because you've used it in one or more transactions."

You cannot directly edit the number of shares of a security. You must go to the investment transaction list, which you may think of as the account register, and edit individual transactions. You can get to the transaction list by clicking the account name in the Account Bar, which may be on the right or left of your main Quicken window.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.