Add true multi-currency conversion support in Quicken for Mac (317 Legacy/Merged Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

I did find a work-around for transferring funds from one currency to another.  Just create a dummy cash account (named mine foreign currency throwaway).  Split the transaction and enter the actual cash amount for the receiving currency and post the remainder (or excess) to the throwaway account.  Mark this account as hidden so it won't affect your sidebar balance.  Just something to use until they improve the Mac version to behave more like the Windows version.

I created an Expense Category called "Conversion Rate". Either way works
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I did find a work-around for transferring funds from one currency to another.  Just create a dummy cash account (named mine foreign currency throwaway).  Split the transaction and enter the actual cash amount for the receiving currency and post the remainder (or excess) to the throwaway account.  Mark this account as hidden so it won't affect your sidebar balance.  Just something to use until they improve the Mac version to behave more like the Windows version.

both good work-arounds, though I prefer the category usage for reports...been using that for years with QM2007....

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Marcoman said:

I've been a Quicken user on a PC for 25 years.  Finally decided to switch over to Quicken for Mac 2017.  After converting my file it was a shock to discover the foreign currency accounts were not converted correctly.  Any past transfer from a USD account showed the USD amount in the foreign currency account instead of the foreign currency amount from the PC file version.  Also, the years of reconciled statements are lost.  Hard to believe that in 2017 multi-currency functions have yet to become a basic feature.  Sure hope Quicken will put this on the agenda soon.

Today I finally had to make a decision.  After using Bootcamp on my Mac for the last 7 years just so I could use Quicken for Windows to support my multi-currency accounts, I have finally had to move my bookkeeping to my Mac.  Since Quicken for Mac is not a true multi-currency app I have decided to start using Banktivity 6.  I have used the trial version for the past month with great success.  Today my trial version ran out of time.  So now I am a proud owner of Banktivity 6.  

It looks like after using Quicken for the last 26 years that now I will have to part ways.  I was holding out for soooooo long hoping Quicken would get the Mac version up to par, but I have run out of time.  For the rest of you I hope Quicken can get it together in the future, but I will be moving on.  

Good luck.
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would like functionality to support multiple currency transactions within the same account, such as an investment account where I can trade in either CAD or USD for example, and maintain simultaneous cash balances in both currencies in the same account.  Right now in Quicken I need to create a dummy account in the second currency to handle these transactions.  Very inefficient.  I've been using Quicken for 20 years and am currently using Q Win 2016 Home and Business Canada.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Chris said:

I would like functionality to support multiple currency transactions within the same account, such as an investment account where I can trade in either CAD or USD for example, and maintain simultaneous cash balances in both currencies in the same account.  Right now in Quicken I need to create a dummy account in the second currency to handle these transactions.  Very inefficient.  I've been using Quicken for 20 years and am currently using Q Win 2016 Home and Business Canada.

That would be ideal...that said, Quicken currently is designed with only one currency per account register, and alas, likely for the foreseeable future.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Mira Shnier
    Mira Shnier Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

I have been a Quicken user for years.  (My oldest transactions in my current file are from 1992, but it might have been even earlier.)  I have been using a Mac since about 2010, and have been waiting with baited breath for Intuit / Quicken to come out with a Canadian version for Mac.  I tried Parallels, but there were other issues with that, so I finally bought a cheap laptop running Windows just for Quicken.  

Multiple currency support is a must for me.  Whether it’s VISA transactions while travelling, investments, or income, I need to be able to track transactions in their original currency, but also report on them in Canadian.  (ie a summary income report showing income from all sources, but reported in the CAD equiv.)   My Bank supports US Dollar accounts and VISA cards, and I can transfer funds between them and my Canadian Dollar accounts seamlessly.  I need Quicken to be able to match that capability.  If I transfer between accounts in different currencies, they must remain linked, just as they do in QWin now.

So, I have decided to go back to Windows. This, and a number of other reasons made it impossible for me to use the Mac version.  And I was so looking forward to that now that it is available in Canada.  I guess I will continue to use the extra laptop on my desk just for Quicken.  Everything else I do is on my Mac! Let's hope Quicken Inc can make the updates to the Mac version soon!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Without the full multicurrency conversion function in Mac , I cannot create a report that combines all the accounts in one base currency.
  • Alexis Schanen Fiuza
    Alexis Schanen Fiuza Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Exchange rate conversion when transferring balances from one account to another a....

When transferring balances between accounts of different currencies, Quicken should allow to enter the exchange rate between these currencies so the balance coming into the new account should reflect the proper amount. 
  • Alexis Schanen Fiuza
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Summary of accounts in multiple currencies in the left panel.

I'm using Quicken 2017 Version 4.6.8 (Build 46.19304.100)

Allow for currency exchange when adding all accounts (including accounts in multiple currencies) in the left panel for the subtotals Banking, Cash, Savings, Credit Card, Investing, Brokerage, Property & Debt, Debt, Net Worth, etc. Currently it only adds up accounts in the default currency.
  • Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have voted in favour. I have multiple US and Canadian accounts and credit cards, and without the ability to link cross-currency transactions and generate spending reports including both currencies, I will have to stay on Quicken Windows (running on a Mac VM).
  • Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I have been a Quicken user for years.  (My oldest transactions in my current file are from 1992, but it might have been even earlier.)  I have been using a Mac since about 2010, and have been waiting with baited breath for Intuit / Quicken to come out with a Canadian version for Mac.  I tried Parallels, but there were other issues with that, so I finally bought a cheap laptop running Windows just for Quicken.  

Multiple currency support is a must for me.  Whether it’s VISA transactions while travelling, investments, or income, I need to be able to track transactions in their original currency, but also report on them in Canadian.  (ie a summary income report showing income from all sources, but reported in the CAD equiv.)   My Bank supports US Dollar accounts and VISA cards, and I can transfer funds between them and my Canadian Dollar accounts seamlessly.  I need Quicken to be able to match that capability.  If I transfer between accounts in different currencies, they must remain linked, just as they do in QWin now.

So, I have decided to go back to Windows. This, and a number of other reasons made it impossible for me to use the Mac version.  And I was so looking forward to that now that it is available in Canada.  I guess I will continue to use the extra laptop on my desk just for Quicken.  Everything else I do is on my Mac! Let's hope Quicken Inc can make the updates to the Mac version soon!

You have summarized exactly why I can't switch from Windows Quicken to Mac Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multi Currency.

Multi Currency for Quicken MAC like it is done in the Windows version is desperately needed. I am retired living in Thailand but receive pensions in USD and Euro. The Windows version converts all income/expenses to my USD home currency and thus in the monthly reports I see my worldwide income/expense as compared with the budget I have set up. In the MAC version of Quicken Deluxe this is not possible so having a budget and creating reports is really useless.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Multi Currency for Quicken MAC like it is done in the Windows version is desperately needed. I am retired living in Thailand but receive pensions in USD and Euro. The Windows version converts all income/expenses to my USD home currency and thus in the monthly reports I see my worldwide income/expense as compared with the budget I have set up. In the MAC version of Quicken Deluxe this is not possible so having a budget and creating reports is really useless.

Hey Henk,

Thank you for taking the time to come to the Community and make a contribution!

Your idea has been merged onto the idea thread to add true multi-currency to the Mac product.

Make sure to go up and vote on this topic so we can track and prioritize what features users would like to see!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

yes quicken need to add multiple current currencies, for mac edition. I will switch and buy your product if you have this function. I am living in indonesia, working at Spore and Thai, and using Bath, Sin$ & IDR Rp at the same time.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Here is a rundown of what is and is not in QMac at this stage:
    Present:
    • you can record a Home currency
    • you can register an account in the currency of choice
    • the sidebar will convert the balance into the Home currency. It will also be excluded from the totals. (added to QM2017 v4.2.1, released Oct 2016)
    • you can record a transfer between accounts and Quicken will provide the exchange rate and conversion. This will create 2 separate independent (unlinked) transactions for both sides of the transfer (added to QM2018 v5.1, released Oct 2017)
    • group "super" registers will convert data and total correctly, including net worth using the current exchange rate (added to QM2018 v5.1, released Oct 2017)
    • you can turn on either features for US or Canada or both (added to QM2018 v5.4, released Dec 2017)
    Not Present:
    • data in reports with mixed currencies are not converted into the home currency
    • data in investments are not converted into the home currency
    • data migrated from QWin to QMac will NOT bring over exchange rates history nor the exchange rate used in transactions and will not link the transactions in a transfer
    So as you can see, there is still a long way to go. So if you have not, be sure to add your VOTE at the top of this page.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Related Features and the 
    List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• ricardog.cabrera
    ricardog.cabrera Member
    edited January 2019
    Although I already purchased Quicken for Mac a long time ago...I keep using Quicken for Windows because Quicken for Mac is not able to handle linked multi-currency accounts yet.  It is a shame
  • Michael Kaiser
    Michael Kaiser Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Agree.  This is why I am still on a very old Quicken running on my PC instead of MAC

Yes, true multi-currency support for both Win and MacOS would be VERY useful!  FYI - I still run QuickenWin in a Parallels VM on MacOS.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Agree.  This is why I am still on a very old Quicken running on my PC instead of MAC

I have been standing in line and voting for the multi currency in Mac for many years now and would love to put my old PC to "Sleep" so that the last App running on that machine can be transferred over to my Mac! Hope the support team get the message and our votes make a difference!
  • Jonny
    Jonny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    att: smayer97 I use QP2019 for Mac. How do you record a Home currency? Which sidebar will convert the balance into the Home currency? I have added account with Euro's, which went fine, but I see nowhere that it is converted into US$. In the currency option it accepts manually the conversion rate US$/Euro"s, but no other currencies!
  • André Roy
    André Roy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

Comment directed to Quicken about Quicken for MAC ====> ENABLE EXCHANGE RATES in between account in different currencies and the related features such as the production of reports in the base currency (or another selected currency)!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: An Update from Eric Dunn.
  • gpinedab
    gpinedab Member
    Anyone know if the latest version of Quicken for Mac addresses these issues mentioned by smayer97? It is the only reason I still use Parallels.

"Not Present:
    • data in reports with mixed currencies are not converted into the home currency
    • data migrated from QWin to QMac will NOT bring over exchange rates history nor the exchange rate used in transactions and will not link the transactions in a transfer"

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    gpinedab said:
    Anyone know if the latest version of Quicken for Mac addresses these issues mentioned by smayer97? It is the only reason I still use Parallels.

"Not Present:
    • data migrated from QWin to QMac will NOT bring over exchange rates history nor the exchange rate used in transactions and will not link the transactions in a transfer"

There have been no new developments in this area. You can always refer to the Release Notes to monitor the implementation of new features here:
    Release Notes for Quicken for Mac Subscription (2018+)

• JM112
    JM112 Member ✭✭
    Hey - your customers have been pleading for years for you to provide a true multi currency Quicken version for MAC so that we can abandon our old PCs.  I am still working on Mac 2000.   Are our requests falling on deaf ears?  Today as never before people are switching to Apple Mac - are you going to finally consider your possible clients or turn a deaf ear.  Sorry but I have requested this for the last number of years.  Listen to your clients.... this nothing for you to accommodate this simple request.  Thanks for rethinking your position on this and get it done.  Dr JMills
  • Alexis Schanen Fiuza
    edited November 2019
    I use Quicken Deluxe (Canada) for Mac 2019 Version 5.11.0 (Build 511.25626.100)

The Net Worth Report, when having accounts and investments in multiple currencies, works with a dropdown menu when only one currency can be viewed at a time. I'd like to, in addition to the above, to have an option on the dropdown menu to view a consolidated net worth where all currencies are converted into the home currency (eg. Consolidated View Home Currency). I used to have this in MS Money in the past and it was a great feature.
  • enterfornone
    enterfornone Member ✭✭
    For some reason the reports are divided by currency. I use accounts in three currensies and cannot get a single report by category with totals per each. Each currency is grouped separately one below another. That's a huge drag and a big difference with the Windows version.
    I was extremely surprised once I converted my file with that (frankly stupid) limitation. Certainly summaries in base currency is possible technically as sidebar already does that.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already been requested... Voting is broken or I would point you to it....

But yes, QMac does not have true multi-currency support, like performing conversions on reports, investments, etc.

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hello @enterfornone

Thank you for taking the time to share your Idea with the Community!

As this Idea already exists, I've merged your comment into the existing post and updated the legacy vote count to include the two votes your post has received so those votes aren't lost in the "move".

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • Juan C
    Juan C Member
    Re Foreign currency conversion in Quicken Mac:
    a) Please express the conversion rate like the Treasury Department and the rest of the world does, as Foreign Currency per US$ instead of the unwieldy fraction being used now or allow for for a reciprocal clickable option.
    b) Please add the option to include a custom currency to the list. Some countries use custom currency baskets to protect long term transactions from inflation.
  • Michael Chen
    Michael Chen Member
    I am sadden that a year since I asked for the a "Net Worth over Time" graph/report that would combined my CAD and USD accounts, this is still not possible on Quicken Mac. None of the upgrades in the past year had made any impact on me. The multi-currency Net Worth total on the left-hand bar is worth it weight in gold as I make my daily updates. But having a combined graph over time to see "how I am doing" is something I could use everyday.

I don't want to move back to Quicken Window. And I don't want to keep cutting/pasting to an Excel spreadsheet just to get a total. I don't need all the speed improvements to open my file - it was plenty quick a year ago. It seems the ability to storing exchange rates and summing up currencies hasn't been a priority, sadly.
  • J-C Bailly
    J-C Bailly Member ✭✭
    This is the one and only reason why I keep my Windows partition and Quicken Premier Windows active on my Mac. It's somewhat surprising in 2019 to be unable to enter foreign currency charges on the credit cards accounts!!!... Does it mean that Mac users don't travel abroad?! This is absolutely indispensable if you are serious about having a Mac version of Quicken. What is so difficult about this that it does not make it to the top of the list of priorities for an otherwise very well designed product?