Security Value Portfolio view

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
WIndows 10 Fall Update, Q2017 R15.13 Last week I could enter security prices to 5 or 6 decimal places. Now for some unknown reason I can only enter 4 decimal places. What happened, how do I correct it. It occurred coincident with or very close to installing last Rev 15.13

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Interesting!! I just tried to edit the security price history. That worked and carried back to the portfolio view. But I can't add the additional decimal place directly. (It does not matter if I try to type it directly or copy paste it into the portfolio view, it truncates and 4 decimal places, but vie price history it works fine. What is going on, it used to work without issue.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In QWin 2018 R6.12, I can enter security prices up to 6 decimal places in an Investing/Portfolio view.. If I enter more, it rounds.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Really! I used to be able to do that also, but not since this last update to 2017. Is Quicken going to reduce capability in 2017 in order to pressure users to move to 2018? I guess I have installed my last update.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I see the same behavior as Jim Harman with Quicken 2016 R 14.12. 

If you haven't already, you may want to try a Windows reboot.  If the issue persists, apply the Mondo patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Just updated...Now Q won't let me enter more than 6 digits for share price...I ha....

share price entry
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Just updated...Now Q won't let me enter more than 6 digits for share price...I ha....

share price entry

Bobby,
    No Quicken version, currently or in the past, has ever allowed more than 6 decimal places for fractional shares.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

share price entry

Simply not true. It entered easily and calculated correctly when BitCoin was over 2,137, 899 per coin (share)...After update it would not.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited March 2018

share price entry

According to the Quicken help, the limit is supposed to be 11 digits total, 6 max to the right of the decimal point. It is supposed to accept 12345.123456. This is the way it is working for me.

In a portfolio view, it won't accept input wider than the column width you have set; it bongs if you try to enter more digits than will fit. [QWin 2018 R 6.12]

So maybe you need to make the column wider.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

share price entry

I am able set a maximum share price of 99,999,999.999 with Quicken 2016 R 14.12. 
  • Jim_Harman
    edited March 2018

share price entry

That makes sense - 11 digits max total, 6 digits max to the right of the decimal point.

If I buy 3 shares for a total of $20.00, the price per share displays as $6.666667.

If I buy .003 shares for $20,000, the price per share displays as $6,666,666.6666, assuming the column is wide enough.

The only slightly odd thing is that it rounds in the 6th decimal place but truncates in the 11th digit.

Also if I edit the number of shares in a Buy transaction so there are more than 4 decimal places, it ignores the edit and does not propose to adjust the share price.. (but that's a different problem!)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Hershey:  With my QW2017 R15.13, I can enter a price of 123.456789 via the portfolio view screen.  

If the column width is narrower, I can only enter lesser digits - like 123.456.  Column width appears to be the key; screen resolution could (I suppose) be another factor.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    q.lurker said:

@Hershey:  With my QW2017 R15.13, I can enter a price of 123.456789 via the portfolio view screen.  

If the column width is narrower, I can only enter lesser digits - like 123.456.  Column width appears to be the key; screen resolution could (I suppose) be another factor.  

Thanks. I figured it would end up be something simple, but couldn't find it. Thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

share price entry

Jim Harman: Thanks! You pointed me at the problem. So simple, once I know.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

I have Q2017 R15.13 and I have no problem entering prices with 6 digits to the right of the decimal point on the Portfolio tab or the Holdings tab.

Here's a discussion where one user had the problem (in Q2015) and fixed it by toggling their screen resolution.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.