Vanguard dividends not transfering from Quicken

wayne beaudoin
wayne beaudoin Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I have a Vanguard account that I transfer the dividends to my checking account each month.  I keep up with Vanguard and my checking account with Quicken. The money shows to be transferring to my checking each month but the vanguard acct is carry a cash balance, which there is not one, equal to the dividend amounts.  Other than manually transferring the money is there anything that can be done so it done automatically.  Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Wayne,

Sorry you're experiencing this trouble.

Are you using the Windows or the Mac product?

Let us know so we can get you the best answer.
    ~~~***~~~
  • wayne beaudoin
    wayne beaudoin Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Windows 10.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    "I keep up with Vanguard and my checking account with Quicken."

What does that mean, exactly?

If you routinely do a One Step Update for both Accounts then certainly the transfer should show up in the two Accounts.  I'd expect that first the transfer would show up in the "from" Account (Vanguard) and if Quicken couldn't "match" that downloaded amount to something in the Vanguard Account, that you'd enter it as a transfer from Vanguard to Checking at which point the download would "match" and you'd accept it.  Then probably a day or two later the One Step Update from the bank would include the transfer in, find a match, and you'd accept it.

If you're entering the transfer manually in Quicken when you request the transfer - and that's the better way of going here - then I'd expect that you'd make the entry in the Vanguard Account with the offset being the checking Account.  Even if you're not downloading information from the financial institutions that gets both Accounts correctly stated, (ignoring timing differences).
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I think I know what you are saying regarding Vanguard. I have a similar situation with monthly Vanguard withdrawals. Vanguard only sends a Sold transaction entry in the OFX download to Quicken. 

You have to then manually edit the Vanguard Sold transaction to "Record the Proceeds" to your checking account; that will change the transaction to SoldX along with entering a transfer transaction into your checking account. Then a day or 2 later when your bank download appears with an ACH deposit from Vanguard, Quicken will ask you to match it to the transfer transaction.

SoldX transactions can't be added to Memorized Payees like a Withdrawal can be, so there is no way to automate the Vanguard funds transfer process, at least in a mutual fund account. I can't speak to their brokerage side which may allow cash to be held in the account, in which case a Withdrawal could be Memorized and automatically record the transfer to the checking account.
  • wayne beaudoin
    wayne beaudoin Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tom Young said:

If you routinely do a One Step Update for both Accounts then certainly the transfer should show up in the two Accounts.  I'd expect that first the transfer would show up in the "from" Account (Vanguard) and if Quicken couldn't "match" that downloaded amount to something in the Vanguard Account, that you'd enter it as a transfer from Vanguard to Checking at which point the download would "match" and you'd accept it.  Then probably a day or two later the One Step Update from the bank would include the transfer in, find a match, and you'd accept it.

If you're entering the transfer manually in Quicken when you request the transfer - and that's the better way of going here - then I'd expect that you'd make the entry in the Vanguard Account with the offset being the checking Account.  Even if you're not downloading information from the financial institutions that gets both Accounts correctly stated, (ignoring timing differences).

I do use the one step update and the transfer shows in my checking account, but it never shows in my Vanguard acct.  I have what is showing to be accumulated cash in quicken,  in the vanguard acct where there is actually none.  It is my fault for not watching it closer.  I certainly can manually enter the transaction but one of the reason I have quicken is so my accounts are accurately tracked without me have to make any entries. 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tom Young said:

Well, I do think that the manual entry of transaction, later confirmed (or not apparently in Vanguard), is the "best practices" method, and if Vanguard doesn't download an "Xout" transaction for the cash then you are forced into manual entries.

That does bring up the question, though, of how the entries were being entered into the checking Account.  Clearly the Account was receiving the increases and you were either accepting them or entering them, so you do need to go back to all those previous transfer in transactions and correct them to have the offset to the Vanguard Account.  That should get the Vanguard Account correct.

I'd be tempted to pick up the phone and call Vanguard about the apparent lack of "transfers out" in the update from them.  Everything else being equal I'd sure expect them to be there.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Tom Young said:

A "transfer" is not showing up in your checking account. A deposit from Vanguard is showing. You need to manually edit that transaction to make it a transfer from Vanguard. Once you do that, if you right-click on it and choose Memorize Payee, Quicken might recognize the transaction in the future and automatically convert the Vanguard deposit to a transfer.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Wayne, what version of Quicken are you running?

And is your Vanguard account a brokerage account or one of the legacy accounts that can only hold Vanguard mutual funds? And is the dividend is a Vanguard mutual fund?

Also, do you have Quicken set to automatically add downloaded investment transactions into your transaction list (register)? The setting for this is in Edit/Preferences/Downloaded transactions and I recommend that you un-check this option. This gives you the opportunity to review and edit transactions before accepting them. 

Vanguard has been tinkering with transaction downloads in brokerage accounts over the past year or so. Currently what I am seeing in the downloaded transactions list for dividends that are transferred to your checking account is a Div listing the security and amount followed by a transaction with no action indicated for the the withdrawal amount. You can click on the second transaction and edit it to a Withdraw or Cash Transferred out of account. Does this match what you are seeing?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • wayne beaudoin
    wayne beaudoin Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the response.  The acct is not a brokerage account, but I also do not see where it is referred to as a legacy account.  It is a mutual fund account that pays a dividend that is deposited into my checking account monthly.  Deposits/transactions are added to my checking account automatically but I have to accept before it is finalized.  I did transfer cash to the fund recently.  In the past, it showed as added with the amount showed in Inv amount and cash amount with description of shares purchased.  The was all done with quicken deluxe 2015.  Recently I added cash as it showed as a purchase, not description with the amount showing in the investment column and then the same negative amount showing in cash amount.  This has never happened before.  I edited the transaction to make it work out.  This all came after I downloaded quicken 2018 deluxe.  looks like I am going to do some manual transactions from here on out. 
This discussion has been closed.