in Mac Quicken 2007, where is the data file located?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    While you can move it anywhere, the default location is in your Documents folder. Check there-the file will likely have a .qdfm extension if it was created in the last 16 years.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Not there. There's a "Quicken backup Foldert" but it's empty. I'm not looking for a backup, but rather the original data file created 21 years ago and converted over the years to newer versions
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018

Not there. There's a "Quicken backup Foldert" but it's empty. I'm not looking for a backup, but rather the original data file created 21 years ago and converted over the years to newer versions

If it was created 21 years ago, that would have been with a pre OS X version of Quicken. Those didn't use extensions, and the lack of one is carried forward. I would look again to see if this is the case.

If you know your filename, then I suggest  searching your Mac for that file using the Finder. As I noted in my previous post, the file could be located just about anywhere if it has been moved from its default location.

Note: if you had automatic backups enabled, then one of the backups in the folder you located in the Documents folder would be the most recent version the last time you used Quicken. You could always use that if you cannot find the original.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
     Ways of Searching for Data File(s):

1/ In the Finder: you can search for them by doing the following:

In the Finder, open a new Search window by selecting File > Find (or pressing Command-F). 
    1. Click on Search This Mac
    2. Select search by "Kind is Other", then type "Quicken Data File". 
    3. [Optional] Add the another criterion: Click the (+) sign (on the right-hand side of the search window) then select "Other...". Scroll or type to find "System Files", then click the In Menu box on the right. Click OK.
    4. [Optional] Now change the "System Files" setting to say "Are Included". 
    This will find Quicken data files anywhere on your Mac, including in your system folders (if you include using steps 3 & 4).

NOTE: once the search is created, you can save it for future use by clicking on the Save button in the Finder Search window.

Once you found the file, double-click it to open it or use the File >Open File menu within Quicken. 

2/ Using Terminal: For the more tech savvy, perform the following search in Terminal:

sudo find / -name "qdata*" -ls. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.