upgraded to Quicken 2018 and now need to record a deposit to an investment account. No deposit dia

Curt112
Curt112 Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Recently upgraded to Quicken 2018. I need to record a
deposit make to an investment. There is no deposit in the Action drop down dialogue
box or in the Enter Transaction to record the deposit. The ability to record
deposits has always been available before.

Comments

• ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Click on "Enter Transactions" then "Deposit".  It's the 3rd item from bottom in the dropdown list.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Click on Enter transactions, then in the dropdown, scroll all the way down to Cash transactions and you will see Deposit.

If you have set up the account with a linked checking account (Edit account details/show cash in a checking account) , you would make all your cash transactions there.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Curt,

We're you able to enter a deposit into your investment account?

Are you still needing any clarification?

Let us know where you are at, if we don't hear back from you this post will be closed after 48 hours.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Curt112
    Curt112 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No, the two responses did not pertinent as my problem is that in neither of the drop down menu's for  "Action" or "Enter Transaction" do not contain a selection for making and deposit and many other actions as well. Using the "Action" drop down directly in the register displays 17 possible choices while in the "Enter Transaction" drop down only displays 13 possible choices. "Withdraw" and "Deposit" are not shown. There are others not displayed as well. When I open a different Quicken file that is for a different person the drop downs will display all possible choices. correctly. Very confusing.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Curt,

What type of account is it? This is listed next to Account type: in the General tab of the Account Details dialog and may affect what transaction options are available.

Does the account have a linked checking account? This will also affect what transaction options are available.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Curt,

What type of account is it? This is listed next to Account type: in the General tab of the Account Details dialog and may affect what transaction options are available.

Does the account have a linked checking account? This will also affect what transaction options are available.

Also, if the account is set up as a Single Mutual Fund account, cash-related transactions will not be available.  You can't move cash into an account that is SMF. 

• Curt112
    Curt112 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Jim,

Its an Investment account. Over a year ago I deleted the checking account for the file. It was working fine prior to the forced upgrade to 2018. There are six accounts in the portfolio. Two work correctly and the remaining 4 do not display all the options. Oddly of these four accounts, two accounts show more options then the remaining two and the register "action" drop down shows different number to options than the "Enter Transactions" drop down. One of the "Enter Transactions" shows all options. These four are single mutual fund accounts all from Janus Henderson. As I work around I have used the  "Shares Added"  option which was available and added the cost and purchase date. This is a basic part of the program and I am confused why it is no available and is inconsistent.
  • Curt112
    Curt112 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Curt,

When I saw this I thought you were on to something but I checked all 4 accounts and all are setup as non-SMF accounts.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    To simplify the discussion, let's just talk about the options available when you click the Enter Transactions button. This is the more flexible way of adding transactions. Also let's just talk about the 4 accounts that don't have a Deposit choice near the bottom of the Enter transaction dropdown.

When you go to the Account details dialog for these accounts as shown on q.lurker's screenshot, what does the Account type say?

Is there a Show cash in a checking account option, and if so what is your selection?

I think you said these all have No selected for the Single mutual fund account option. Is that correct? 

Also can you explain what you did when you deleted the checking account? Was this linked to one of the investment accounts that is now giving you problems?
  • Curt112
    Curt112 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jim,

The account that displays all 34 options is correctly shown as a Roth IRA. The other three accounts that only display 13 options are shown as IRA but should also be Roth IRA's.

The Account Details dialog box for all accounts shows Tax Deferred "yes" and SMF "No". Each account is a single mutual fund and if I try to correct to "yes" for the SMF it will not change. I can select "Yes" but when I reopen account after selecting "OK" to still shows "no" to SMF.

There is no "Show cash in a checking account" question displayed.

Yes in the past the checking account which was deleted made transfers to the Roth IRA accounts.

To delete the checking account I went to the Account Details box and used the Account Delete prompt in the lower left corner and typed "yes" to delete as prompted.

Thanks, Curt
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Curt said:

Jim,

The account that displays all 34 options is correctly shown as a Roth IRA. The other three accounts that only display 13 options are shown as IRA but should also be Roth IRA's.

The Account Details dialog box for all accounts shows Tax Deferred "yes" and SMF "No". Each account is a single mutual fund and if I try to correct to "yes" for the SMF it will not change. I can select "Yes" but when I reopen account after selecting "OK" to still shows "no" to SMF.

There is no "Show cash in a checking account" question displayed.

Yes in the past the checking account which was deleted made transfers to the Roth IRA accounts.

To delete the checking account I went to the Account Details box and used the Account Delete prompt in the lower left corner and typed "yes" to delete as prompted.

Thanks, Curt

At some point, did you convert these accounts from something else?  That might include a conversion from MS Money to Quicken, from a regular brokerage account to a tax-deferred account, from a regular brokerage account to an IRA account, from a single mutual fund account (Janus?) to a regular account (Janus Henderson?), or some other conversion?

The 13 transaction option is a definite characteristic of a SMF account.  With 34 transaction options, that is a characteristic of a regular account.  

IRA accounts may have some different options than non-IRA accounts (though I don't spot any off the top).  Show Cash as a separate account is not an option for IRA accounts.  

The only time one has the option to designate as a Roth IRA (as best I recall) is when the account is initially created in Quicken as an IRA.  If you convert an existing tax-deferred retirement account to an IRA, I do not believe Roth is an offered variation.

So I am thinking through some conversion process at some time, the conversion process left the transaction list options as SMF, but the full account status was changed to non-SMF.  
This discussion has been closed.