Investing Portfolio views Market Value now includes Cash when grouped by Security

Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In several versions of QWin prior to 2018 R8.8, if you grouped an Investing Portfolio view by Security, Cash was not included in the list of securities even if No Security (includes Cash) was selected as a security in the customization. This meant that the total cost basis and market value in these views was always off by the amount of any cash in your investment accounts.

This has been corrected in R8.8.

Thanks, Quicken!
QWin Premier subscription

Comments

• Neal
    Neal Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Quicken has been updated to the latest R8.8 and I have modified my all my reports by selecting cash as the security, however, it does not print out as cash, as a separate line item.  In prints as -Cash- and in some accounts it prints twice, top of report and bottom of the report, but not within the security list.  It also prints -Cash- even when I deselect Cash, as a security, and security type.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Neal, are you referring to reports or Portfolio views? If reports, I suggest you start a separate thread about problems you are seeing there; this one is about cash in Investing portfolio views.

Please be specific about which reports you are referring to, and any non-default settings you are using. I did a quick test with the Investing/Portfolio Value report and did not see any problems, either with no subtotals or subtotaling by account. -Cash- comes and goes depending on whether you have No Security selected.
  • Neal
    Neal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jim, you are correct in the Investing Portfolio (show Value), view, cash does appear at the bottom of each account, as a line item as Cash.  However, when I run a report, either from the view or from Reports icon, and select Investing/portfolio, all accounts as well as securities, the report shows at the top -Cash- and at the bottom -Cash- each as separate line items.  I just disregard one of the Cash line items. This is not a real concern for me at this time. Thanks
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2018
    Neal said:

Jim, you are correct in the Investing Portfolio (show Value), view, cash does appear at the bottom of each account, as a line item as Cash.  However, when I run a report, either from the view or from Reports icon, and select Investing/portfolio, all accounts as well as securities, the report shows at the top -Cash- and at the bottom -Cash- each as separate line items.  I just disregard one of the Cash line items. This is not a real concern for me at this time. Thanks

I'm curious because I don't see this. Is this a report you have saved, or is it a standard report, i.e. the one you get at Reports/Investing/Portfolio Value?

When I display that report with the default settings of Earliest to date and Don't subtotal, I see my current security holdings and I only get one -Cash- line at the bottom, reflecting the cash in my investing accounts. As expected, the -Cash- line goes away if I de-select No Security in the report settings.

If you are seeing something different on a saved report, Quicken may be carrying over bad behavior from the version when the report was saved. If you start with the standard report and make the same customizations as in your saved report, maybe the problem will go away.
  • Neal
    Neal Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jim, you are correct.  I compared each one of my reports and all had to be changed.  The removal of the second line item for cash was removed.  The only report that I have found that still references two cash line items is in the Investing: Report Value (canned report).  I generated a new report three times and compared it to my old report but, the second cash line item was still there.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    "Report Value" does not appear to be a standard report. It's confusing, because IIRC Quicken once let you modify a standard report and save it in the same section with the standard reports with a similar or maybe even the same name. Recent versions let you use one of the standard names but require you to save reports in the My Saved Reports section.

If you go to Reports/Reports and Graphs Center, you will see the standard reports in the left column and reports you have saved on the right. In a fresh data file, the My Saved Reports column is empty.

In QWin Premier 2018 the standard Investing reports are:
    Capital Gains
    Investing Activity
    Investment Asset Allocation
    Investment Income
    Investment Performance
    Investment Transactions
    Maturity Dates for Bonds and CDs
    Portfolio Value
    Portfolio Value and Cost basis
  • Neal
    Neal Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Not sure if again this is a holdover from previous designs but, when I first created reports in the Reports and Graphics feature, right side of standard reports box, I created the same category of reports, with the heading of "My Saved Reports".  In other words I have two columns with the same reports category name.  Under these categories, I have created the respective report. Quicken automatically added a final category of "My saved reports", at the bottom of this side of the feature, but I do not use that category.  Not sure how the heading of my side got the My Saved Reports, I may have selected this years ago when I first set up these reports.

Quicken                                                   My Quicken
    Standard Investing Reports                     My Saved Reports
    >Banking                                                       >Banking
    >Spending                                                    >Spending

As mentioned earlier, I have created a report under the respective category that I have used over the years, when I required a specific report.  Now that I have recreated all of my reports, the Portfolio Report is the only report that listed the Cash on two lines, which had causes an issue, so as of now I am no longer using this report.  It does provide more and a better review of the data over the Portfolio Value and Cost Reports Basis, however, adding cash twice does throws the data off.  Note, if you also create this report selecting account vice security, results are the same for each account i.e., two cash line items.  In the future I'm just going have to remember that when Quicken is updated, make sure the reports section has not changed with the new updates.
This discussion has been closed.