How to move Mutual Fund past transactions into a Brokerage Account

Joe Guthart
Joe Guthart Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Using the Mac edition I want to move all the transactions from a Mutual Fund over to my brokerage account which has multiple mutual funds, etas, etc in them.  The brokerage account recently accepted this mutual fund and now I want to move over over 10 plus years of cost data for that mutual fund.  

Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    It isn't possible in QMac to move transactions from one investment account to another. My suggestion would be to use a Remove Shares transaction in the Mutual Fund account to zero out the shares there. Then use an Add Shares in the Brokerage, entering the total cost there. Then go to Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts and hide the Mutual Fund account (rather than delete it) which will preserve the history in case you need it later.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    RickO’s method is the easiest. You just need one transaction to record the sum of everything older than one year, since everything they are all long term gains.

If you really want to preserve the entire transaction history, you could try this, which is a lot trickier, and I’m not really sure you can do it this way anymore in QM2018.

0. Make a complete backup, in case you need to start over!

1. Export the transactions from the mutual fund account to a QIF file.

2.use a text editor (I use TextWrangler) to edit that file, changing the account name to match your Brokerage account and save it as text, but still with the .qif extension. I’d use a different name for this modified file.

3. With your brokerage account open, Import the modified transactions. Do they all show up in the right place?

4.when you’re confident every transaction has been moved, delete the now redundant mutual fund account.

Good luck!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

RickO’s method is the easiest. You just need one transaction to record the sum of everything older than one year, since everything they are all long term gains.

If you really want to preserve the entire transaction history, you could try this, which is a lot trickier, and I’m not really sure you can do it this way anymore in QM2018.

2.use a text editor (I use TextWrangler) to edit that file, changing the account name to match your Brokerage account and save it as text, but still with the .qif extension. I’d use a different name for this modified file.

3. With your brokerage account open, Import the modified transactions. Do they all show up in the right place?

4.when you’re confident every transaction has been moved, delete the now redundant mutual fund account.

Good luck!

John, I'm all for clever workarounds, but unfortunately, there isn't QIF export/import in QM18. Doing the analogous thing with QXF doesn't work because Quicken detects the duplicate account name and creates a copy.

There may be a way to accomplish this with QFX by "hacking" the QFX file or exporting to CSV and using a CSV to QXF converter. Joe would have to research those options.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to  First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the  Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Good luck!

Sigh. That's what I was afraid of.  QFX export isn't as flexible as the old QIF.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Good luck!

Just for clarification, QFX is the file format used to import transactions from FI/Banks, QXF is the file format used to transfer data from QUicken data file to Quicken Data file, including Windows to Mac conversion. 

Be sure to add your VOTEs below.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Good luck!

oh, that's really helpful, especially to us who have mild dyslexia, or is that listdexia ?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Good luck!

:-)

• Joe Guthart
    Joe Guthart Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks all for the responses -- great resource to call on when assistance is needed.

I went with the RickO suggestion above and all is good.
This discussion has been closed.