Delete multiple investment entries

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Is there a way of deleting multiple downloaded investment transactions? The latest Quicken update (2018-R9.30-27.1.9.30) downloaded all transactions in all my accounts for the past two years, then failed to match them to the existing entries. So if there is a way of having it match transactions, that would help as well. 

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My first troubleshooting step would be to restore a backup taken before the issue occurred.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can delete multiple investment transactions in a transaction report of those transactions. 

Be careful though, there is no undo to the deletes, but it does allow for deleting multiple transactions at one time versus the one at a time while in the register.

NOTE:  It goes without saying, make a backup before you start in case you have an accident.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

You can delete multiple investment transactions in a transaction report of those transactions. 

Be careful though, there is no undo to the deletes, but it does allow for deleting multiple transactions at one time versus the one at a time while in the register.

NOTE:  It goes without saying, make a backup before you start in case you have an accident.

@ splasher
    How do you do that?
    I have a test file with an investment Account with lots of transactions so I clicked
    Reports > Investing > Investment Transactions

and customized the report to the one Account, but that was as far as I got in the process.  I couldn't figure any way of mass-selecting the transactions and then deleting them.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

@Tom Young -- Work through a Banking Transactions report rather than an Investing Transactions report.  You will need to customize to select the investment account(s), but with that report you can select multiple transactions and have the delete option.  If memory serves me, it may be that not all transactions can be selected and edited  that way, but most (all?) can be deleted.  Have never tried it with a cash account linked to the investment account.    
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

@Tom Young
    q.lurker has the correct report, my memory got the best of me, but it was something that I had learned from a NoWayJose post from years ago, because I didn't think it was possible by any method at the time.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

Yes, the transaction report available through the Banking section does allow selection of the transactions. 

What an odd bit of programming.  On purpose? 

Selection is also available when using a regular checking/savings Account too.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

From C. D. Bales:

In addition to the Banking > Transaction report, the following reports also allow deleting multiple transactions (including investment transactions):

Itemized Categories

Itemized Payees

Itemized Tags

Tax Schedule

Tax Summary

You can also Rename payees in multiple transactions in in those reports.

You can also Recategorize, Retag, and Edit Memos in multiple transactions in those reports, as long as no selected transaction is a split transaction.

[You can delete transactions from a linked checking account as long as the transaction is not a transfer from the linked investment account. This restriction would probably also apply to any transfer that originated in a split transaction in any account.]

As to why it was decided to utilize a report for the purpose of deleting multiple investment transactions, my guess is:

To delete multiple transactions, you must be able to select multiple transactions.

Since Quicken investment accounts started using "Transaction Lists" instead of "Registers" (many versions ago), it has been impossible to select multiple transactions directly in investment accounts (apparently it's the nature of a "transaction list", rather than Quicken Inc.'s refusal to make a programming change, that creates the barrier).

Apparently no such fundamental limitation existed for investment transactions in non-investment reports, so Quicken chose to make the selection and deletion of multiple investment (and non-investment) transactions available in (most?) non-investment reports that display individual transactions.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

That's an impressive amount of "under the hood" research!

The Quicken help file does hint at some underlying difference between "Registers" and "Transaction Lists".  Although "transaction" is a word used for both registers and transaction lists, the help topics that come up under "Working with Quicken > Working with transactions" generally make a distinction between the two, with separate instructions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks everyone for a lot of very useful information. Truly appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.