Download quotes option for securities disappeared in Quicken for Mac 2018

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
In the Edit Security -> Options drop down for individual securities, the option to disable download for quotes for the security has disappeared in the recent updates of Quicken for Mac. What happened here? Is there a new way to suppress downloading individual quotes?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. They probably removed because they added the option to "download quotes only for indices and held securities". That's selectable as a checkbox at the top of the Securities window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    RickO said:

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. They probably removed because they added the option to "download quotes only for indices and held securities". That's selectable as a checkbox at the top of the Securities window.

I do not track investments much via downloaded prices, though there was a time when I did. I just do not agree with this approach as then users can no longer create "watch lists" nor can they get in and out of positions without losing data in between... 

This solution was an attempt to address downloading problems within Quicken but I see it as a hammer for a thumbtack solution. I would hope they would restore the functionality at some point. Otherwise, this cripples Investment tracking in Quicken.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    RickO said:

What I've done for the "Watch List" problem is create Add Shares transactions for 0.00001 shares for those in the watch list.

This essentially shows up in Quicken Mac as a $0.00 amount and the share price STILL downloads daily. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    RickO said:

Good work-around.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    RickO said:

This is interesting, but I don't think it actually solves my particular problem. I didn't realize the original disable download feature was intended for stocks that aren't held by you - supposedly if you have a stock then you want the latest price. Part of all of this is the fact that this whole multi-currency thing really doesn't work very well in Quicken, does it?
This discussion has been closed.