price history to create multiple security charting

eusebio.salgado
eusebio.salgado Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have a couple of index mutual funds with same underlying index and I suspect one of them is charging more fees than the other. I wanted to compare the performance between both.
As the multiple security charting option is not working (at all) and the "Growth of $10,000" is not easily allowing me to select the securities I want, I was looking for a way to download the quicken price history to my computer and perform the comparison in excel.

Please note that such price history is not downloaded from internet (it is a pain to find the correct mutual fund) and I usually update it manually (once or twice per month).
I have had these funds for years, so I have a nice amount of date there, but I dont know how to get my hands on it in an easy way.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You can export the price history. From the Edit Price History dialog, click on Print > Export to > PRN file. When you save the file, give it a CSV extension and you can open the file directly in Excel.

HOWEVER the price history is usually not sufficient to compare performance as you are describing because it does not take into account any dividends or other distributions from the fund. For example money market and 401k stable value funds maintain a fixed share price of $1.00 and all of their returns come from dividends.

To get a better picture of the total returns of your investments, I suggest you look at the Investment Performance report. This includes the effects of distributions, whether reinvested or kept in cash,  and also the timing of any purchases and sales.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    There's really no way to "tease out" if expenses between the two funds are different by looking at any report that's available in Quicken.  "Performance" depends on the timing of investments and redemptions, how closely the fund actually tracks its index, tax efficiency, and fees. 

You can get a better feel for how these elements blend together by looking at each fund's annual and quarterly reports and the prospectus.  Too, funds typically present their own versions of "growth of $10,000" for various time periods, though these are only directly comparable if the funds happen to have the same fiscal year. 
This discussion has been closed.