Why has Quicken deleted functionality for v. 2018 - it is less capable than my old v. 2015?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Deleted functionality: you can no longer customize the register for Investment Accounts.  Now the register is hard-coded with so many unused "junk" columns that you can't see the last 2 columns in the register.  Can't delete, move, or shrink these junk columns like you could in v. 2015.  Since this is the register - where you spend most of your time - it creates a clunky dysfunctional user interface.  Why did they design that in?

Comments

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If you are using Windows Version there is a gear icon with a down arrow on the upper right side.  Click it and select the "Register Columns" item.  Then select the columns that you want to have displayed.  Click "Done" when you are finished.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Although that is true for the checkbook register, it is not available (any longer) for the investment account register.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Although that is true for the checkbook register, it is not available (any longer) for the investment account register.

Jeff,

Perhaps, are you confusing the investment account with the Portfolio page?  Because I don't recall EVER being able to add/change columns in an Investment account ... and I've been using Q for 25+ years.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

Again, I'm talking about the register page for an investment account.  In prior Q versions, the register page columns could be customized, just like it still can be for a checking account - as Snowman discussed.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

What columns are you trying to add?  What changes are you trying to make?

Because you dismissed Snowman's comment as applicable to non-investment accounts only ... and there ARE NO other columns that have ever been able to be added to an Investment account.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jeff,

Here are some suggestions if you have to scroll to see the rightmost columns of the Investment transaction list. Hopefully experimenting with one or more of these will get you a presentation that is to your liking.

-- Make sure Quicken's window is maximized
    -- Click on View and un-check Use large fonts and Use pop-up registers
    -- Drag the bar at the right of the Description header to the left to make it narrower. Unfortunately this column has a rather wide minimum width, because it does double duty for some transaction types.
    -- Drag the divider between the Account bar and the transaction list to the left, making the Account bar narrower to make more room for the transaction list. You can hide the Account bar entirely by going to Edit > Preferences > Navigation and un-checking Show Account bar
    -- Make the other columns narrower if possible without cutting things off
    -- Right-click on the Windows desktop and make sure your Windows monitor resolution setting is set to the Recommended value and  the Size setting is set to 100%.  I think earlier versions of Quicken ignored these settings or used them inconsistently.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

I am trying to delete the 2 left hand columns in the register, not add any.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

In my Investment  accounts, the left 2 columns are the "paperclip" (which shows whether you've attached any documents to the txn) and "clr" (which shows whether you've reconciled the transaction against your monthly stmt.

I still contend that you've NEVER been able to remove/hide (nor add) columns ... so your premise of "reduced functionality" is faulty in the extreme.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Those columns now have a minimum width. Perhaps at one time you were able to make them narrower, even reducing the width to zero?

I can imagine that some people might have had trouble finding the columns if they had made them too narrow to see.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

From C. D. Bales:

" ... you can no longer customize the register for Investment Accounts".

Quicken investment accounts do not have "registers", they have "Transaction Lists" (investment accounts have not had "registers" for over a decade).

Investment account Transaction Lists have never offered users the ability to choose which columns to display. But you do have control over the widths of investment Transaction List columns.]

My Q2018 (R9.34) investment account Transaction List displays look exactly like my Q2015 investment account Transaction List displays.

And if my Q2018 window is wide enough for the resolution of my monitor, I have no problem seeing all columns in my investment account Transaction Lists.

Check that you have not told Quicken to "Use Large Fonts" (see View menu).

I also suggest you make sure you are using the most current release of Q2018, which is R9.34. If you are not running R9.34 (see: Help > About Quicken); try Help > Check for updates, or go to

https://www.quicken.com/support/patch... and download the Q2018 R9.34 patch and run it.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

Jeff,

Here are some suggestions if you have to scroll to see the rightmost columns of the Investment transaction list. Hopefully experimenting with one or more of these will get you a presentation that is to your liking.

-- Make sure Quicken's window is maximized
    -- Click on View and un-check Use large fonts and Use pop-up registers
    -- Drag the bar at the right of the Description header to the left to make it narrower. Unfortunately this column has a rather wide minimum width, because it does double duty for some transaction types.
    -- Drag the divider between the Account bar and the transaction list to the left, making the Account bar narrower to make more room for the transaction list. You can hide the Account bar entirely by going to Edit > Preferences > Navigation and un-checking Show Account bar
    -- Make the other columns narrower if possible without cutting things off
    -- Right-click on the Windows desktop and make sure your Windows monitor resolution setting is set to the Recommended value and  the Size setting is set to 100%.  I think earlier versions of Quicken ignored these settings or used them inconsistently.

Jim, I was able to get the entire register/transaction list on the screen by unchecking the Show Account Bar or by using View/Full Screen which also eliminates the Account Bar.  Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    For the nonce, I'm working on a Surface Pro with a big old ergonomic keyboard. I'm using the recommended resolution and text/icon increase factor for this little convertible. Quicken is updated: R9.34.

My choices for viewing investment transactions lists on my desktop computer don't work for this device.  New computer glasses help. Large Fonts really help, but completely distort the register. [Sorry, CD Bales,  but that running cash total makes it a register in my book. And the last choice in the Action popup is "Register Preferences"]

Tried some of your suggestions,  Jim. The Popup Registers option pops up my investment register with the right third of the window off screen. I have to drag each one over and minimize it so that I get the horizontal scroll bar, which I still need. "Minimize Pop ups" does not minimize popup registers apparently. Full-Screen has to be dragged into position as well. but at least has the scroll bar. Too much fiddling to use routinely.

A few things that helped a bit. Getting rid of the Attach button way out on the right in the Cash Balance column saved a few pixels. I dropped the Large Fonts option, and was able to pull in most of the columns a bit more. No more scrolling, but the text is painfully small. I have three accounts with a smaller investment firm, and I have to hand-enter each and every transaction. Headaches already.

I appreciate most of the changes that have come with the change in Quicken ownership. But I really don't understand the restrictions on this type of register/transaction list. It is nuts that I can't change the font or font size for investment transactions, the way I can for other registers. Those other registers are perfectly viewable in a 14 pt serif font...without Large Fonts. I  think *I* should be able to choose which content is squashed beyond recognition, and I don't need that huge space for Description. The Clr and Attachment columns need not be that big, even with Large fonts. Heck, I don't need the attach column 95% of the time. 

Hope the positive changes keep happening and that someone loosens the restrictions on investment registers.

HC Crain
This discussion has been closed.