Cannot get shares to agree with online account

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Number of Shares do not match my Fidelity Brokerage account.  Quicken shows I have .001943 shares of a security I sold in 1998. When I down load from my brokerage, Quicken says it does not match and I have .0019473 too many shares in Quicken.  When I remove or sell .001973 shares in Quicken, and resync to my brokerage account, it says it does not match and I have -.001943 shares in Quicken.  How to solve??

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hello Rich,

Welcome to the Quicken Community!  We appreciate you taking the time to share this issue with us.

Please take a moment and review https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts and post back with the additional information.  An answer given for one version of Quicken may not apply to a different version and we want to be sure you are receiving the right information.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Options
    When this has happened in the past, it has always required finding a corrupted transaction, deleting it and re-entering it. You could try Showing Closed Lots option in Investing tab, Portfolio view to see if one lot stands out. My first suggestion would be to delete the last sell transaction where it should have zeroed out. Close Quicken and reopen. Then enter a Sell All shares for the fund.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks this seems to have worked.  I will not know for sure until I do a month end reconciliation.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks this seems to have worked.  I will not know for sure until I do a month end reconciliation.

Each time you do a download from the financial institution (FI) there should be a comparison of holdings per the FI vs. Quicken.  The next time you download you should know whether that worked or not.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options

AND, if you're actually closing out a position (at the brokerage/fund AND in Q), use "Sell All Shares" instead of inputting a specific number. 

Easily cleans-up/avoids the "tiny fractional share" issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.