Cannot see Investment Portfolio.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I can view my portfolio register. I can not view my investment portfolio. I am running the latest version of 2018 Quicken Premier for Windows.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why can't you view your Portfolio? Do you get an error message? Does Quicken crash?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    When I view my investment portfolio, the quicken software takes me to the portfolio register. When I attempt to view the portfolio detail, the software crashes and exits Quicken. Just started happening this morning. I reinstalled the Quicken 2018 Premier Software from the CD. The very same events occurred. 
    Simply stated, I can not see my portfolio, just the associated registers.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

When I view my investment portfolio, the quicken software takes me to the portfolio register. When I attempt to view the portfolio detail, the software crashes and exits Quicken. Just started happening this morning. I reinstalled the Quicken 2018 Premier Software from the CD. The very same events occurred. 

It sounds like you're clicking on the "Holdings" button when you're in the investment transaction list?
    What happens if you click on the Investing tab and then click "Portfolio"?  Does that work?
  • mshiggins
    edited July 2018

The first troubleshooting step I would try is to run a validate:

File | File Operations | Validate & Repair: Validate

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    The holding icon is hilighted when I am in the Portfolio register. When I attempt to click on the Portfolio again, the quicken software crashes and I am tossed out of Quicken. How do I get rid of
    the Holding icon while in the Register?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I certainly agree Quicken should not crash.

Was Quicken 2018 working correctly before you started having these problems?

Dis you allow Quicken to install an update just before you started having the problems?

When you click on Help > about Quicken, what software version is displayed?

When you attempt to view the portfolio detail, exactly what do you click on? Is it the Holdings button at the top of the Transaction list (register), an Investing Portfolio view, or something else?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    There are two icons at the top of the Portfolio register. The first says Enter Transactions. The second icon says Holding. How and what that is all about is a complete mystery to me. I can not get rid of it and I am unable to see the Portfolio. Quicken crashes in all cases. Do you know how to get rid of the Holding Icon?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    My quicken premier software for 2018 is up to date.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    To answer your question to me Jim, I am clicking on the Investing icon at the top of the page in trying to leave the register and see the Portfolio.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    When I initiate Quicken, I click on the investing tab and the software immediately crashes. This is a new problem I have never encountered before. I reloaded the software using my Quicken Premier 2018 CD and the same problem still occurs. I am stumped.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just to verify, because you said you just reinstalled Quicken from the CD, please click on Help and then About Quicken and tell us what year, version, and build number are displayed. 

Have you successfully used Quicken before to manage your investments, or is all this new to you?

The "icons" at the top of the investing account transaction list (register) are buttons. You click on the Enter Transactions button to create a new investment transaction - buy, sell, dividend, etc.

Clicking once on the Holdings button should display the Account Overview window, which shows the securities you currently hold and other information about the account. Is that what happens for you, or does this cause Quicken to exit?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem which is now solved. I went to File Operations and ran a Validate and Repair task. The problem disappeared. Again, many thanks to all of you that helped me out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    My answer to your latest questions. I used Quicken Premier 2018 for Windows, R9.34 Build
    27.1.9.34. I have used Quicken for my financial needs for over 10 years. First time I had this
    kind of problem. I fixed the problem by running File Operations, Fix and Validate option.
  • mshiggins
    edited July 2018

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem which is now solved. I went to File Operations and ran a Validate and Repair task. The problem disappeared. Again, many thanks to all of you that helped me out.

Glad that solved the issue for you.

This discussion has been closed.