Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.7.0 & 5.7.1 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today I’m excited to announce that we’re releasing Quicken for Mac 5.7. There’s a lot of great improvements in this release.

First off, performance. Launch times should be greatly improved. We also improved the performance of the portfolio view chart which was a little sluggish if you had lots of historical investment data.

We continue to refine our Bills & Income experience. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a try. The feature automatically updates your bills with the latest balance information so you can see how much you owe without having to go to the biller website. This is especially useful for credit cards and utility bills that change every month. You can also view and download PDF statements for top billers all from within Quicken. In 5.7, we've added the ability to refresh the Bills & Income view without having to do a full download of transactions and bills now tell you if they are waiting for the next bill so you know that Quicken hasn't downloaded the latest balance yet.

We also fixed a number of issues brought up here in the forums. For example, we fixed an issue where comparison reports with time periods of different lengths weren't quite working right. We also fixed a number of issues with dividends, interest income, reinvested dividends, reinvested interest, long-term capital gains and short-term capital gains where they weren't showing up in the All Transaction view and in reports. We also fixed the Gain/Loss calculations in the portfolio view when there were splits.

Some new things we added are the ability to set an investment account as a Roth IRA or Roth 401k. Also, we launched our new mobile app today which includes budgets. I think you'll be able to download it now for Android and it will take a few days for Apple to approve it for iOS devices.

You can always find our release notes here. They may not be up yet but should be there shortly.

UPDATES
7/19 - Staged release.
7/19 - Pausing release. We're seeing a few people running into a crash so we're going to stop the release to investigate.
7/19 - Pausing budget sync. The crash is in budget sync so we're turning that feature off. This means you won't be able to see budgets on the new mobile app but it does mean those that were in this situation will be able to sync again. A small percentage of customers who upgraded ran into this crash. The issue was also in 4.7.2 so turning off budget sync fixes this issue for 2017 customers too. We'll turn on budget sync again as soon as we can.
7/20 - We're starting the rollout again. The new version number is 5.7.1. This includes a fix for budget sync.
7/21 - Budget sync turned on for 5.7.1.
7/21 - Unfortunately, it still looks like people are crashing when syncing their budgets so we're going to have to turn it off again.  I also pulled the release for now.
7/22 - We're starting to roll out 5.7.2 to customers.  This fixes the top 3 crashing issues we were seeing in 5.7.x.  1) A crash when syncing budgets. 2) A crash when editing the payee and auto-fill had bogus data. 3) A web connect file import issue if the bank includes invalid error codes.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I downloaded the update, but failed to click on "Install and Re-launch" before I quit Quicken.  Now I can't see any way to update to 5.7.0
  • JSH56
    JSH56 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When is full 5.7 update expected live again?
  • Joseph Toubes
    Joseph Toubes Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why do you refuse to fix the check printing as we have asked for ,now some 5 years.  If you can fix and do all this other stuff, why do you continually say that it isn't a priority.    I print checks,  the address for the people I send the checks to is so faint, so tiny that the post office frequently returns it to me and that causes issues.  I am tired of having to hand print envelopes or use Stamps.com to print individual envelopes .   Can I have an answer?   It seems all you do is equal to peeing on my boots and telling me it is raining .   just fix it and move on.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

Why do you refuse to fix the check printing as we have asked for ,now some 5 years.  If you can fix and do all this other stuff, why do you continually say that it isn't a priority.    I print checks,  the address for the people I send the checks to is so faint, so tiny that the post office frequently returns it to me and that causes issues.  I am tired of having to hand print envelopes or use Stamps.com to print individual envelopes .   Can I have an answer?   It seems all you do is equal to peeing on my boots and telling me it is raining .   just fix it and move on.

Probably not a high priority.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018

Before Joseph explodes at being dismissed like that, let's just all acknowledge that almost all feature requests/tweaks/enhancements are a high priority for someone. And if that issue is causing them a lot of pain using Quicken, it's hard for them to understand how this is not a high priority to be quickly fixed.

Some users also assume that a problem they are experiencing is universal, when the reality is that (a) not all users use that feature and (b) sometimes the issue is caused by something unique to that user's data or software or hardware, so other users aren't experiencing the same problem.

The developers have to sort through all of that, and then decide what to address next, and next, and next after that. Sometimes, those decisions aren't a straight line, either. For example, users have complained about why Quicken Mac isn't more flexible about budgeting for transfers (like paying loans, or building savings). Marcus shared that while they acknowledged this was something they needed to address, they wouldn't tackle it until the Quicken Cloud team was done rebuilding the mobile app's handling of budgets, because they'd likely need to rework part of the Mac app's budget code to align with the mobile app. So this might have been categorized as a high priority, yet delayed because of other pieces.

Similarly, adding or fixing a particular feature might rely on changes to the database or changes to user interface or changes to back-end processes, all of which are done by different engineers on the development teams, any of whom might be tied up on a different project for awhile. For example, we all know that revamping the reports in Quicken Mac has been a high priority, and is an ongoing project that has been getting worked on over the past year. If the developers who deal with printing output are tied up on that high-priority project over a long period of time, perhaps that's why they haven't gotten to work on making changes to the printing of checks. Or perhaps printing checks is scheduled to switch from the old printing architecture (created for Quicken Essentials over seven years ago) to the new printing architecture that has been partially implemented for some reports over the past year, and they had to finish the underlying printing code before going back to checks to re-write that piece of the code. (Those are hypothetical examples; I'm not saying that's what's actually happened regarding Joseph's area of need.)

And sometimes, if not many people are squawking about a problem, it just gets assigned a lower priority, or falls off the radar. That's why re-posting an issue here, as Joseph did, isn't such a bad thing to try to catch Marcus' eye.

Marcus needs to be perpetually aware of many hundreds of user requests, plus many internal things they know they need to work on, figure out the dependencies in code development, and allocate projects based on each developer's particular skills/knowledge/areas of expertise.

Put all that together and you get some sense why something that appears incredibly simple -- like making the fonts on a check bigger or bolder -- might (a) be more complicated than it appears, (b) be something very few users have indicated is a problem for them, or (c) have been accidentally lost in the shuffle of dozens of projects and programmers. It doesn't diminish the pain/annoyance of an issue affecting you, but maybe it helps you realize it's not an issue of the developers being dumb or refusing to deal with an issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JSH56
    JSH56 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Wow... all I wanted was a date of availability.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

JSH56, I was responding above to Joseph and Gasport... and got a little carried away ;)

Your question is much easier to answer: whenever they feel they have fixed what was causing the problems. Marcus's note above talks about issue with the budget on the mobile app, so if that was the only issue, they may not need to change the Mac program. Typically they release to 1,000 people a day for 2 or 3 days, monitoring closely to see if any problems show up which were not caught during beta testing. If things seem okay after 2 or 3 days, they "open the spigot" and everyone gets the update; if they find problems, there are sometimes x.x.1 or x.x.2 minor fixes that get released over the the next day or two, and sometimes they pause for a few days until they have found and fixed the problem.

During the staged release period, there's no particular time or way to know when the spigot will be opened to let another 1,000 users download the update or when it will get turned off.

My philosophy of this is: don't complain if the downloads have been stopped and you didn't get the new version; it was stopped because someone else got it and ran into a problem! It's rarely more than a week, and sometimes half that, between the announcement of a new release and it being available to everyone.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018
    JSH56 said:

See below in response to your other post.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018
    JSH56 said:

We started rolling out 5.7.1 again. The issue we ran into is that for some odd reason a few customers had budgets that were in a state that was unexpected and the app would crash when someone tried to sync.  I apologize to those of you that ran into that issue.  Once we discovered this, we immediately stopped the budget sync feature so that you wouldn't crash anymore.  Today's release should fix the issue even when we turn budget sync back on. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018

Mr. Toubes and I have exchanged emails on this issue.  As Jacobs so eloquently explained, there are lots of reasons why a feature may get worked on before other features.  Sometimes what is impacting the most customers, sometimes it's what is a priority for our company, other times it's because we're working on similar things so it makes sense to change everything at once.  For example, we've been spending a lot of cycles on performance because that impacts all customers and actually impacts the most loyal Quicken customers the most. I don't think anyone would argue against this priority.  This takes a lot of time to investigate and come up with fixes that don't require rewriting the product from scratch.  We also know that reports, budgets and investments need more features to close the gap with legacy products.  There is no shortage of things to work on.

What I mentioned to Mr. Toubes is that we would investigate it while working on report printing.  If we add font and font size capabilities to reports we could add them to checks too because it's pretty similar. We're still working on report printing, but I'm afraid the ability to print a report to fit on a page is taking longer than I expected and its impacting other things I wanted us to start this month meaning I'm thinking we won't get to fonts in reports or checks.

What do others think?  Are you also having the same issue where the check font is hard to read and the post office is returning the check?  It would be great to see the idea voted on in these forums.  The highest voted "check" related idea that I can see is "match downloaded checks to checks already recorded".  Mr. Toubes, you mentioned there were other people who have expressed the same issue in the forums.  Can you point me to the forum post so I can see the number of people this is impacting?  I see this post "quicken for Mac 2016... How do you change the font size for reading and writing and printing checks...". I meet with our Care team every week and they tell me about a number of check issues customers are running into and I haven't once heard them tell me about this issue.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen but the Care team is another input I use to decide what gets worked on and when. 

Anyway, it would be great if others weighed in on the importance of this feature. What I have planned is to start working on renaming rules so doing fonts for checks would bump that work.  There are always trade-offs.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I frequently see people with problems that I don't experience (and I've had my share of problems that not everyone else experiences, or is bothered by). I usually attribute these differences to either different ways of using QM or odd interactions of different hardware, different financial institutions, etc. Is this issue with how the address prints a typical complaint? I've never had a problem with how the checks print-- including the address (QM 2016 - 2018). I use window envelopes using the address as printed through QM. Maybe there is a difference in my system, maybe it is a difference with the printers I've used? My checks' address line prints with black ink and of sufficient size that I have never seen it as a problem and have never had one returned. The address is slightly smaller than the other type, but I know from printing regular envelopes that long addresses wouldn't fit in the window if the type was larger. My checks are letter size width. Is the problem with smaller checks? Is the type scaled to smaller checks and hence smaller than on my checks?

I only post this because I think it is helpful if people understand what other people are seeing. I certainly wouldn't object if there was an option somewhere to set the size for the address, but I wouldn't feel I need it.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

@RCinNJ, your post illustrates well part of what I was describing above. Joseph has a major problem with the way his checks print, and you have no problem. Is it his printer versus yours? His checks versus yours? His computer's fonts versus yours? His perception of results versus yours? None of that questions that he feels check printing is a major problem, but it demonstrates why a particular issue like font size/weight might not be something a lot of users are complaining about, and if not, why it hasn't been a higher priority for the developers. (In any case, Marcus addressed above what other areas of work this particular issue is tied to, and gave an indication that work in this area is likely at least a few months away.)
  • John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bug Report (I think).

Updated to Mac Version 5.7.1 and encountered new issue editing Transactions Category when in All Transactions Tab.  When selecting any of the Filters, and opening the Transaction, I am unable to see, nor modify the Category.  A work around is to edit the Details/Split, where you can enter or modify the Category.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

Bug Report (I think).

Updated to Mac Version 5.7.1 and encountered new issue editing Transactions Category when in All Transactions Tab.  When selecting any of the Filters, and opening the Transaction, I am unable to see, nor modify the Category.  A work around is to edit the Details/Split, where you can enter or modify the Category.

John, I'm trying to replicate what you're reporting, and I'm not experiencing the problem. Buy maybe I'm not understanding...

In the left rail, I click All Transactions at the top. In the register, I'm on the Transactions tab. I set a filter for the current year and for one account. I can still see the category column, and if I click on a split transaction, I see all the splits and their categories. If I double-click to edit a transaction, whether it's a split or not, I can edit the categories like normal.

When you first click on All Transactions, the the Category column even present? If not, there's an easy solution to that: click the Columns icon in the bottom toolbar, and click on Category to make it a visible column. "All Transactions", like every individual account register and grouped account register, is individually configurable, so it's sometime easy to overlook that a missing column may not be there by default but can easily be turned on.

If that's not it, please add more detail about what you're doing and seeing. Or if you can capture a screen shot with no important personal data, please post that.
  • John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jacobs, thanks for the response, and thank you for bringing my attention to the "Column" name where I was attempting to edit the content of the column.  As it turns out, when I upgraded to 5.7.1, it must have reset the displayed columns, with "Description" replacing "Category", and I didn't catch it since "Description" contained the same information as "Category".  I rechecked all the  other account screens and it doesn't appear that "Description" is an option, so I'm wondering if "Description" was just introduced, or it's availability was inadvertently changed to make it available and it shifted the column data.

Problem solved.  Thank you.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

Jacobs, thanks for the response, and thank you for bringing my attention to the "Column" name where I was attempting to edit the content of the column.  As it turns out, when I upgraded to 5.7.1, it must have reset the displayed columns, with "Description" replacing "Category", and I didn't catch it since "Description" contained the same information as "Category".  I rechecked all the  other account screens and it doesn't appear that "Description" is an option, so I'm wondering if "Description" was just introduced, or it's availability was inadvertently changed to make it available and it shifted the column data.

John, wow, I learned something new from this, too. I guess because I don't use All Transactions a lot, I never noticed the Description column being available before. It looks like it's simply a copy of the Category field for banking-type transactions, but it creates a description of share information (100 shares @ $15.875) for investment-type transactions. I guess if you're just using All Transactions for browsing or searching, it's helpful to mash these two different type of transaction descriptions together, but if you want to editor a transaction, you need to have the source column showing to be able to edit it.
  • John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I use the All Transactions Tab to review all new transactions after doing an Update All, and filter as Last Downloaded, so I can add Categories, notes, and make necessary correction (E.G. Category).
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

@Quicken Marcus, you asked above for other posts about check printing problems. They're not all consolidated in one place, but they continue to roll in. Here are two just today: one about the light font and one about the memo field mis-alignment. And please read this thread about the memo field alignment problem, which people have been complaining about for several months.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

@Quicken Marcus, you asked above for other posts about check printing problems. They're not all consolidated in one place, but they continue to roll in. Here are two just today: one about the light font and one about the memo field mis-alignment. And please read this thread about the memo field alignment problem, which people have been complaining about for several months.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    If this hasn't been reported (I couldn't find it while searching)...  Using 5.7.1, all Gain/Loss columns for me have been stuck at $0.00/0.0% since the update. 
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

If this hasn't been reported (I couldn't find it while searching)...  Using 5.7.1, all Gain/Loss columns for me have been stuck at $0.00/0.0% since the update. 

@jive turkey: Are you talking about these columns in the Portfolio view of an investment account or group of accounts? 

I'm not seeing zero values  in mine:

This is grouped by security, but the values are not zero if I switch the view to type, asset class,  or holding period. Is this where you're looking, or are you talking about somewhere else?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

Actually, the cumulative Gain/Loss (like in your picture) works, which is the important part. It is the 1-month, 3-month, etc that are all zeros.

Most of this info is available on a million websites, so it isn't critical like the overall Gain/Loss $ & %, which is working fine. But I do like having it all there at a glance :) 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018

Thanks.  This is exactly what I'm looking for.  More people to come forward with this issue as a priority.  Pictures would be helpful too so we can all see the issue and better understand the impact.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018

John, We didn't do anything in 5.7.x to change this so it shouldn't have changed on you.  When I just launched my 2018 I still had the Category column so not sure what triggers the change.  In any case, since All Transactions shows transactions from both investment accounts which don't have categories and banking transactions the description column is included and can't be edited but you can and should add the category column for editing categories. 
  • John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Marus, thanks for your attention to this.  I have no idea how the "Description" column replaced the "Category" column, if it in fact did, but I had made no changes to my settings prior to, nor subsequent to the Upgrade.  Prior to the Upgrade I could edit the information contained in Description/Category, that was displayed for a Transaction, while in the "All Transactions" tab.  Possibly it was previously set to "Description", but allowed editing the data by opening the Transaction, without opening the Details.  The problem has been resolved for me, as I reset the displayed columns eliminating "Description", and adding "Category".  Quirky things happen sometimes.  Who knows!  

Thanks again for your comments.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018

Thank you for posting your issue and helping the community.  I'm guessing if you ran into this issues others did as well.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018

We did a couple of changes to these calculations in 5.7.x to make them more accurate. 1) We now include splits in the calculation if one occurred during the designated period.  I think this was reported by a forum customer.  2) We now only display a value if the security was held during that designated period.  If not then we display $0 / 0% as you're seeing. The thinking is that if you didn't hold it during that period then there should be a gain.  I believe we use the acquired date for these calculations.  Do you have buy transactions for these securities?  
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

@jive turkey: They just released version 5.7.2 today, so I uploaded to that before I saw your reply and looked again at my investments. for me, adding those columns works just fine, looking at an individual investment account or all investments:
    And if I set the Price and Holdings date back a month (before most my funds had quarter-end reinvestments), I still got what seems to be valid values for funds that did not have any transactions in the prior month (e.g. just showing change in value). I haven't sat an analyzed the numbers for accuracy; I'm just reporting that I'm seeing non-zero numbers for all but a money market fund that is showing all zeros.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I understand you are trying to enhance In the bills and income section but I would like some further improvements.  I entered a bill today that is due August 12.  the Action button still says Pay Now.  Why can't it say.  "Payment entered 7-25-18" so I know I paid it.  Also, please add a pop up window after clicking Pay Now to stop an unwanted payment.image
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited July 2018
    pauldv172 said:

I understand you are trying to enhance In the bills and income section but I would like some further improvements.  I entered a bill today that is due August 12.  the Action button still says Pay Now.  Why can't it say.  "Payment entered 7-25-18" so I know I paid it.  Also, please add a pop up window after clicking Pay Now to stop an unwanted payment.image

Thanks for these ideas.  I see your point about wanting to mark the payment as Paid since you have already paid it.  When you say you paid it, are you paying it using Quicken Bank Bill Pay or are you paying it using your bank's website?  If it was your bank's website, I would suggest clicking on the 3 dots and then selecting Mark as Paid.  This will tell Quicken that you paid it.  The reason it says Pay Now is that Quicken thinks this is a Bill Pay transaction and it's dated for a future date and Quicken doesn't know it's been paid. I definitely like the idea of being able to cancel an online payment from this screen.  I think if it was paid, it would appear on the right side and there may need to be a button or menu there that you can use to "Cancel" the payment. Thanks again for your suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.