Options
2»

Comments

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    pauldv172 said:

I understand you are trying to enhance In the bills and income section but I would like some further improvements.  I entered a bill today that is due August 12.  the Action button still says Pay Now.  Why can't it say.  "Payment entered 7-25-18" so I know I paid it.  Also, please add a pop up window after clicking Pay Now to stop an unwanted payment.image

It was paid by clicking on pay now using my Wells Fargo account.  I noticed on the right side of the screen it shows that it has been paid.  PS it as been submitted for payment but not to be paid until 8/6/2018.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Marcus, thank you for updating the All Transactions Income view to now include Investment income (interest, dividend, reinvested, capital gain, etc).  This is an excellent improvement and gives a better view of overall monthly cash flow.  Also the Portfolio Graph performance improvement is great.  I have gone from >30 seconds for a refresh/redraw to <7 seconds for my data set.  Thanks again for taking input from the forums and improving the product.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Marcus, thank you for updating the All Transactions Income view to now include Investment income (interest, dividend, reinvested, capital gain, etc).  This is an excellent improvement and gives a better view of overall monthly cash flow.  Also the Portfolio Graph performance improvement is great.  I have gone from >30 seconds for a refresh/redraw to <7 seconds for my data set.  Thanks again for taking input from the forums and improving the product.

Thanks for the nice comments.  I know a lot of people don't like the subscription model.  Heck, I personally try to avoid it myself when I can.  With that said, one of the core benefits from our perspective is that we can spend more time focused on small things as well as big things.  At this time every year in the past, we'd be scrambling to finish big-ticket items that were printed on the retail box.  If things came up in the forums, we wouldn't be able to look at them because every single person would be working on the new stuff.  That's not the case anymore.  The Quicken Windows team is focused purely on fixing bugs because this is what they've heard from their customers.  We've spent time on performance and other issues that have come up in the forums.  On the Mac team, we still have major gaps to fill and we're working on those big things too but we do now have time to also investigate and fix the small things that people bring up.  The subscription model means software developers need to keep customers happy or people will end their subscription which I think is a much better model than adding shiny new things (that people may not want or need) every year to convince people to upgrade.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Marcus, nicely said! I think if the company overall had communicated it as clearly as you just did, there would be fewer objections to the subscription model. (Of course, some would still be unhappy because they feel more tied down by the subscription, and some would be unhappy because the price is higher than it was before.) I think it helps if you repeat this message periodically, because people get frustrated by one thing or another, and it can help to hear that "you get it" and are working on large things and small things to move the product where you understand it needs to get to.

I've wished that Eric Dunn's messages over the past year would have been more transparent and said just that. If I were him, I would have written: "Yes, we did need to raise the effective annual price for the majority of users who previously upgraded only every three years. And we know no one likes a price increase. The complexity of maintaining this software, and the networking to connect to 14,000+ financial institutions, is complex and expensive, and we are additionally investing in working to make the software more consistently reliable for our users. Over the next two years, as we transition more customers onto the current software, we'll need to spend less time patching multiple older versions and will be able to spend more time focusing on the reliability and functionality our customers expect. We know we will only earn your continued subscription business if we deliver an ever-better product, and that's what everyone in our company is focused on doing."
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

It’s a shame in a way that this is tagged for Mac, because Marcus's comments cover the subscription situation for Windows too; they encapsulate the company position on the current pricing model very well. As Jacobs says, this is exactly the message I’d hoped to see Eric Dunn delivering.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Couldn't agree more with jacobs statement, and I appreciate your candor here Marcus!  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

From my perspective, nothing builds customer loyalty like engagement, listening to user feedback and improving the product - for both small and big things. Marcus' interaction on the forums provides a path for this feedback to be heard and is truly commendable. For this reason I have absolutely no problem with the subscription model. I am happy to renew as long as the product continues to provide value and is moving in the right direction - with collective help from the forums.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Upon installing 5.71 and 5.72 I see a behavioral change in choosing a scheduled bill payment which falls on a weekend.  Formerly when this was encountered you got a pop up box that advised you your payment falls on a weekend and date will be changed.  Upon continuing the date was not actually change.  So one would assume It to be advise only.  If you changed it the series would have a new due date going forward.
    Now when this is encountered your scheduled payment is duplicated with a Friday date but your scheduled payment remains in the register.  So, it does not change the date it duplicates the payment with a new date.  Then you need to say skip this instance on the original.  Seems to me just the date of the scheduled transaction should be changed and leave the series alone.  It is misleading to produce a message that says date will be changed when, in fact, it is duplicated.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    RobertB said:

Upon installing 5.71 and 5.72 I see a behavioral change in choosing a scheduled bill payment which falls on a weekend.  Formerly when this was encountered you got a pop up box that advised you your payment falls on a weekend and date will be changed.  Upon continuing the date was not actually change.  So one would assume It to be advise only.  If you changed it the series would have a new due date going forward.
    Now when this is encountered your scheduled payment is duplicated with a Friday date but your scheduled payment remains in the register.  So, it does not change the date it duplicates the payment with a new date.  Then you need to say skip this instance on the original.  Seems to me just the date of the scheduled transaction should be changed and leave the series alone.  It is misleading to produce a message that says date will be changed when, in fact, it is duplicated.

for cross-reference:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/scheduled-payment-falls-on-a-weekend-date-will-b...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

looking for a picture book users guide
  • jacobs
    edited August 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Marshall, there is unfortunately no printed or online users guide, manual or book about Quicken for Mac.

If you're looking for some help getting started and finding your way around the program, there are some videos a fellow user here created a few years ago. A few features have changed and been moved around since these were created, but these videos are still a very good introduction to Quicken for Mac's basic operations. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive guide online, in a book or elsewhere for Quicken for Mac. Instead, check out the following Quicken Mac FAQ: Where to find a Help Guide

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    There is a bug with loans. The capital payment for August and future transactions has been multiplied automatically by QM by an unknown multiplying factor.

Notice how the capital amount is exagerally large for August, but the total is correct:

Here is the same transaction for July, correct this time:

This is not limited to just 1 loan. I have a 2nd loan which exhibits this faulty behavior (a 3rd loan seems fine however). All July and previous transactions are OK. All August and future transactions exhibit this faulty behavior.

I upgraded to 5.7.2 last week, from 5.6.x I believe.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

There is a bug with loans. The capital payment for August and future transactions has been multiplied automatically by QM by an unknown multiplying factor.

Notice how the capital amount is exagerally large for August, but the total is correct:

This is not limited to just 1 loan. I have a 2nd loan which exhibits this faulty behavior (a 3rd loan seems fine however). All July and previous transactions are OK. All August and future transactions exhibit this faulty behavior.

Anyone around?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Marcus, have you been able to reproduce the issue? Is a fix along the way?
  • jacobs
    edited August 2018
    Options

John, just FYI Marcus often doesn't continue to read and reply in these threads beyond the first couple weeks of a new release, so he may or may not see your message. Since I haven't seen similar reports from Quicken Mac users, I'd guess your problem something unique to the set-up of your loan. Sorry, I don't use the loan feature and can't provide any specific help, but my suggestion in a case like this is to contact Quicken Support. The phone support people can connect to your Quicken so they can walk through it with you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I've found the cause of the issue. QM has reset the duration for the loans. Both loans had a duration of 168 and 88 months. In both cases, it has been reset to 30 months.

A loan that had a duration of 2 years did not have its duration reset, so it looks like this is happening for loans whose duration is in months (which may be a rare case).

I tried opening backups from 6 months ago when the issue was not existent. After QM 5.7.2 upgraded the backup file, the duration of both loans was reset to 30 months. I don't have QM 5.6, or any earlier version, so I cannot check that this only happens in 5.7.
  • jacobs
    edited September 2018
    Options

John, If you haven't done this already, use the Report a Problem feature on the Quicken Help menu to report what you've found. That should help get it to the product team because, as I noted previously, Marcus doesn't always come back to read these threads after a release has been out for a couple weeks.
This discussion has been closed.