Transactions from Chase credit card not posting correcly

Unknown
Unknown Member
Charges to my Chase credit card decrease the running balance, payments increase the running balance -- the opposite of what they should do.  Chase has been having problems with the "download  transactions" portion of their website (they recently upgraded their site); that problem seems to be solved -- I was able to download transactions -- but the downloaded transactions are posting incorrectly.  

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Charges should decrease (subtract from) the running balance and payments should increase (add to) the running balance. 

For what it's worth, my Chase credit card downloads post correctly (Direct Connect Q2016 R17.4).
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Randy,I don't have any problem download from Chase either ... so let's do a bit of investigation.
    1. Is your Chase account sorted by DATE,  with the newest transactions at the bottom of the register?  To change the sort order, click on the DATE column header until the arrowhead points up.
    2. What color  is the Balance column  in your account register? It should be RED, indicating that you owe money (I.E.,  "in the red")
    3. In that account register, do you use the Charge & Payments column or the Amount column?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks to both.  I talked to Quicken tech support, and they helped me solve the problem.  Not sure what caused the problem in the first ;place, but it's fixed now.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Charges should decrease (subtract from) the running balance and payments should increase (add to) the running balance. 

For what it's worth, my Chase credit card downloads post correctly (Direct Connect Q2016 R17.4).

That would be true in a checking account, but in a credit card account, so charges should increased the running total (of debt), and payments should decrease the running total (by paying off the debt)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

In a checking account, a payment would decrease (subtract from) the running balance and a deposit would increase (add to) the running balance. 
This discussion has been closed.