Saturday security prices?

Options
Bill
Bill Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Mac)
Why when I go to the securities list and check on downloaded prices do I see a value for Saturday (not a trading day) that differs from the value reported for Friday? (Quicken Mac 2018)

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    What the exact release level for your Q Mac 2018? Click Quicken / About Quicken to get that information.

If you do in fact see a Saturday price, can you provide an example or two?
    Can
    you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Using Q Mac 2018 5.7.2, but this problem has been ongoing with previous versions. Since I have already manually corrected the dates and values through the end of this week, I must wait until next Saturday before sending a screenshot. Stay tuned...
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bill said:

Using Q Mac 2018 5.7.2, but this problem has been ongoing with previous versions. Since I have already manually corrected the dates and values through the end of this week, I must wait until next Saturday before sending a screenshot. Stay tuned...

If you are impatient, you could restore a recent backup (after making a safety backup) and go thru the process that caused the "Saturday" price quotes.

When you are done testing,restore the safety backup and you will be back to where you were before testing.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have observed a few times that early Saturday morning (3 to 7 AM) that Thursday morning stock values would be downloaded. This would self correct after 7:00 AM with a new download. I see this as a problem with the source Quicken uses for stock values and outside of their comtrol.

I have found indivudual bonds in my portfolio are priced at or slightly after midnight. This causes a small change is the Saturday portfolio value. Stocks are priced at the close and do not indicate after hours changes. Mutual funds are priced between 6:00 and 6:30 PM. All this is as expected.

I direct connect to my broker and credit cards and manually enter checking information. If you connect differently your milage may vary. 
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

What the exact release level for your Q Mac 2018? Click Quicken / About Quicken to get that information.

Can
    here?

capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

S

Using Quicken 2018 Deluxe 5.7.2.  I am attaching two screenshots showing Saturday prices (downloaded around 9am EDT). Note that no value is reported for Monday. It would appear that all prices are off by one day. This is problematic when preparing a dated report.

imageimage
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    While I don't know if the "Mac" aspect of your version of Quicken has anything to do with the problem, I do know that in the past I have experience a similar problem with the pricing of bonds that don't trade on a security market with a ticker symbol.  In fact I've seen the problem express itself both ways with different financial institutions, i.e., getting "yesterday's" price placed into   "today's" date and getting "today's" price placed in "tomorrow's" date. 

Look into your OFX log to see where that information is coming from.
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    So is a manual adjustment of the date the only fix?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

Can
    here?

image.

S

Bill,
    Are you (or does your computer regional settings think you are) located in an overseas time zone, perhaps one that is > 12 hours offset from EDT?

Someone with more experience in this matter than I will have to look into this in more detail ... I'm just guessing here ...
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

Can
    here?

image.

S

I am Eastern Time Zone and computer is set accordingly so downloads should match up.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bill said:

That was the only thing I could ever figure out.  I moved the security from TDAmeritrade where today's price was placed into "yesterday's" bucket, to Schwab, where the opposite occurred.  Selling the bond finally fixed that issue.  ;)
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bill said:

TD Ameritrade updates bond prices at midnight, it is not Quicken pacing the cost at the start of the next day.
This discussion has been closed.