Tampered Package

Hello, I purchased a new 2017 Quicken Deluxe off Amazon. The package arrived shrink wrapped with a spine label that stated, “Security Device Enclosed”. When I opened the CD case, I found no device (not sure what it had supposed to look like), and no manual/guide book. I’m wondering if I’ve been scammed. Can anyone help? I have pictures as the package was being opened.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can check with Quicken Support 
    but since you bought it from Amazon, you need to go back to Amazon and see what they have to say about it. 

Quicken, Inc only sells the latest version, you bought 2017, so who knows what you really got.  I think the old adage of "Buyer beware" applies here.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Is it possible that you bought, from Amazon, a Download version of Q?  Double-check your purchase receipt.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I forgot to say that the plastic case included a CD. The CD looks authentic, but still unsure what the security device suppose to be.... That's why I'm wondering if this was an "used" CD. I simply opened and popped out the CD. It tis a buyer's beware world. Anybody can shrink wrap a package and make it look new. Thank you for your replies. Sincerely, Old enough to know better.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    cynthia said:

I forgot to say that the plastic case included a CD. The CD looks authentic, but still unsure what the security device suppose to be.... That's why I'm wondering if this was an "used" CD. I simply opened and popped out the CD. It tis a buyer's beware world. Anybody can shrink wrap a package and make it look new. Thank you for your replies. Sincerely, Old enough to know better.

The "security device" is, probably, a VERY small ship, that's buried in the papers inside the CD case. 

They're pretty common for retail sales of any CD.

SO, just install the CD and see  what happens.  I suspect that you're being overly cautious here.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    cynthia said:

Probably "security device" = "loss prevention device", you've seen them, quite often a rectangular plastic bubble with something inside for a sensor to detect.  Generally only on retail store packaging.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    cynthia said:

And being a cynic, I suspect that in many cases it’s just a label intended to deter theft from retail stores; there’s actually no device present other than the label.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    cynthia said:

Other possibility is that someone removed the rectangular "security device", but didn't remove the sticker.

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I agree with Dan Glynhampton's comment that the security device is just a label. Typically it is a label or strip that covers the side of the case where it opens. You have seen them on DVD's that you purchase and it just shows that the shrink wrap and the case haven't been opened. Yes, anyone can shrink wrap a product but if you saw that white or other colored strip that you have to peel off or cut through then you are probably safe. As for whether you bought an older version or the current version as stated by another community member who responded to your concern, load the program and then click HELP in the menu bar and select "About Quicken." It will tell you what year and what version you have

NOTE: I purchased mine directly from Quicken but when I loaded it and checked it stated year 2017 although I thought I was purchasing 2018. Through subsequent automatic updates mine now shows year 2018.
This discussion has been closed.