My computer crashed &I have no backup. My phone has accounts &is up to date. Howdo to I restore fro

My computer crashed and I have no backup. My phone has all the accounts and is up to date. What can I do to restore from the cloud? Just updated to 2 yr cloud program.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, but the Q Mobile phone App can't be used as a backup for your Q desktop data.  The App has only a SMALL fraction of the data in you desktop product.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

Sorry, but the Q Mobile phone App can't be used as a backup for your Q desktop data.  The App has only a SMALL fraction of the data in you desktop product.

But it has all my accounts so the data is stored somewhere. I thought the 2 yr price included cloud backup? My data is floating somewhere.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Becky ,

There is no 2 Year Cloud Program. The 2-Year Subscription to the Quicken Desktop Program, does not include the Quicken Mobile Application. That is an option, that Users who have a Smart Phone, have the ability to add on their own. It is not mandatory to use.

There is a Dropbox Backup, if you opted for it. However you needed to manually Backup your Quicken Data File, to it. It does not do it for you.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    If the data is on my phone, it seems it is somewhere that I should be able to access.  I tried to restore from a year old file and it says that it doesn't match my cloud which means it is there somewhere.  When I look at the program, it has automatic backup on so I should find it somewhere but can't.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018

Hi @ Becky ,

There is no 2 Year Cloud Program. The 2-Year Subscription to the Quicken Desktop Program, does not include the Quicken Mobile Application. That is an option, that Users who have a Smart Phone, have the ability to add on their own. It is not mandatory to use.

There is a Dropbox Backup, if you opted for it. However you needed to manually Backup your Quicken Data File, to it. It does not do it for you.

Actually, in QMac it will automatically back up for you to Dropbox, but you have to enable that option and point the backups to the Dropbox folder one time when you first start using the program.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited August 2018
    Becky said:

If the data is on my phone, it seems it is somewhere that I should be able to access.  I tried to restore from a year old file and it says that it doesn't match my cloud which means it is there somewhere.  When I look at the program, it has automatic backup on so I should find it somewhere but can't.

We need to differentiate between what's stored on Quicken Mobile and any manual or automatic made by the desktop program.

For Quicken Mobile (the data stored on your phone), if (and that's a big if) you can recover anything from that, you would likely get at most 90 days of data. It is not intended as a backup and does not contain anywhere near all the data in the desktop file.

If automatic backup was turned on in the desktop app (menu Quicken > Preferences > General > File Backup) then you may be able to recover a full backup file. The location of those backups defaults to a folder on your computer. It would not be stored on Dropbox (or any other cloud service) unless you manually changed it to do so. If it is still set to the default location, and it didn't get trashed when your computer crashed, then you may be able to recover.

To find the backup file location, in desktop Quicken, click menu File, then "Show Backups in Finder". If your settings are still intact, and if the backup folder location didn't get trashed, then you may be in luck.

On the other hand, if you restored this machine from scratch to an empty hard drive, then you will find an empty backup folder and you will basically be out of luck.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

The phone app, once again, can NOT be used as a backup device.
    Also, the phone app is QUITE different than the optional Dropbox backup.

If you didn't create backups, and didn't turn on the optional backups that RickO mentions ... then you simply need to start over from scratch.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    When you say "your computer crashed" ... what exactly does that mean?
    Is your computer's hard drive still viable? Or was the "crash" caused by the hard drive becoming damaged or corrupted by a virus?
    If the hard drive is still in working order, you could remove it from the broken computer, insert it into a USB external hard drive enclosure and use that on your new computer to recover your Documents, Pictures, Music, etc., including your Quicken data file(s).

[additional info about backups removed as it only applies to Quicken for Windows. Becky uses a Mac
    Sorry, UKR]
  • thecreator
    edited August 2018
    Becky said:

Hi @ Becky ,

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

You have not included the Quicken Program Year, Flavor or R #, you are using.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    The operating system was damaged on my Mac.  I backed up the data on an external hard drive.  I assumed the quicken data was there but it wasn't.  I am using Quicken for Mac 2018.
  • thecreator
    edited August 2018
    Becky said:

The operating system was damaged on my Mac.  I backed up the data on an external hard drive.  I assumed the quicken data was there but it wasn't.  I am using Quicken for Mac 2018.

Hi @ Becky ,

Did you set up a Drop Box Account for yourself with Drop Box? Before the problems you are facing?

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Becky said:

When you say you backed up your data to a hard drive, how did you do that? Your data file is stored in your hidden user Library folder. You cannot see it by default.

If you used Time Machine, you will have your data, but you have to know where to look for it. Please advise.
  • RickO
    edited August 2018
    Becky said:

Becky, when you say the backup data wasn't on the hard drive, how do you know that? Where did you look? 

And, what's on the main hard drive now? Did you just reinstall the macOS over the original drive, or did you completely erase it? 

The answers to these questions will help us better search for your data. There's a good chance it's still there somewhere.

By default, both your data file and backup files are in the folder:
    Macintosh Hard Drive > Users > yourusername > Library > Application Support > Quicken.

To access this folder on your startup drive, you will need to hold down the Option key while clicking the Go menu in the Finder. There you will find an entry "Library" which is the user Library folder mentioned above.

On your external drive, depending on how you backed it up, you may just be able to navigate to directly without the Go menu trick. The path to the folder would be the same except substitute the name of the external drive for "Macintosh HardDrive". If you just copied over your user folder, then you would start with "yourusername", whatever that is, eg. "becky".

As an example, the path to the Quicken folder on my computer looks like this:

Inside this Quicken folder (either on your regular hard drive, or the external backup) you will find a folder called "Documents". This is where your data file (which ends in ".quicken") would be. And if you had auto backups enabled, you will also find a folder there called "Backups" that holds the backup files (which end in ".quickenbackup".)
This discussion has been closed.