incorrect security price downloads

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Using Quicken Mac 5.8.1. Do not download transactions, only security prices. Prices for FCNTX are often incorrect by a factor of 10, and often only on Fridays.imageimageimage

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Looks like a problem with the quote provider. I would contact Quicken Support (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support) or use menu Help > Report a Problem to get this passed along to the quote provider for correction.

BTW, it also looks like FCNTX should be in the $12 ballpark, not the $120 ballpark. So it looks correct on Fridays and wrong the other days of the week.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    FCNTX and several other Fidelity funds split 10-for-1 on August 10. Quicken downloads prices without taking that into account. I’ve reported this before, but I didn’t realize the problem of back-pricing went that far. The only get around for now is to delete the 10-ish prices from before 8/10, and hope it doesn’t do it again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I thought you might try rebuilding the stock history but that to seems to be in error because it indicated that the stock split happened near the end of 2017. When you rebuild the history, you get a month of daily prices then Friday closing prices for 11 month and then monthly closing prices for the remainder for the data.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    actually, the stock split was fairly recently (early August). what is weird is that these price errors go back well earlier, and (of course) only on Fridays. These erroneous prices just appeared within the past few weeks.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    By the way, deleting the erroneous price does not help---the next download of pricing data replaces the missing data. The only workaround I can ascertain is to manually enter all the prices on days with errors.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

By the way, deleting the erroneous price does not help---the next download of pricing data replaces the missing data. The only workaround I can ascertain is to manually enter all the prices on days with errors.

Something very odd is going on here ... because I also hold FCNTX, in QWin, and I'm not seeing anything like what you're reporting.  Here's the same date range that you displayed.

What's curious about it is that, I believe, Q uses the same quotes provider for both Mac and Win.

Also, for a MF such as FCNTX, that's priced only once a day, the Opening, Closing, High and Low prices should all be the same ... which they aren't in your display but are in mine.

Have you looked into the actual downloaded file ... to see what was sent?  Unfortunately, since I'm a QWin user, I can't tell you how to find that file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    You are correct---it is very odd. No idea as to the differences. It does seem to originate around the time period we changed to the current subscription program (from Quicken Mac 2007-2009, I think). 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Unlike earlier Mac versions (where there was a separate Quotes file), it appears the current Quicken Mac stores the security prices within the user's Quicken database. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Unlike earlier Mac versions (where there was a separate Quotes file), it appears the current Quicken Mac stores the security prices within the user's Quicken database. 

That's not the file that I referenced.  There's a file, somewhere in QMac, that contains the actual contents that were downloaded ... that's the one to look for.

The file that you mention contains what was read from my file, processed and then stored.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    I hold FCNTX as well. I see (as many others have shown) how the split occurred early in August. Yet, the prices downloaded shown the lower price starting mid July. Thus, the graph has that drop.

But, I am not seeing the same drops for any dates prior to mid July.
This discussion has been closed.