Quicken 2017 Opens Wrong Files

Unknown
Unknown Member
Ever since the last update to Quicken 2017 for mac, Quicken software opens up the wrong data files. Although I do NOT have an on-line Quicken account, when I click on a data file on my Mac Quicken now asks me to sign into my online account. If I close that window Quicken will SOMETIMES open up the data files on my Mac. I have an account for everyday financial data, and one for IRAs. Quicken no longer differentiates the two. It randomly opens either account.

A few weeks ago Quicken support had me remove and reinstall the software. That solution worked until today. The problem is back.

I ask that Quicken fix this problem. (Rant Redacted)
To Summarize, how can I fix this problem once and for all?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Greg: first, I don't know why you're experiencing what you describe. But I can offer a few comments and suggestions.

This site is mostly a user-to-user support forum, so writing like you're talking directly with Quicken Support here will only add to your frustration. If you want to get help from Quicken Support, you can do so by phone or live chat by visiting Support here.

Second, you can report this problem from within Quicken, by selecting the Report a Problem option on the Help menu. But be aware that while this allows you to report a problem to the developers, it's a one-way communication and they won't reply directly about your problem. For two-way communication to resolve your problem, contact Support.

Third, until there's perhaps a clearer answer about why Quicken opens the wrong data file at times, there's an easy way to control which file Quicken opens: instead of clicking on the Quicken application icon in your Dock to launch Quicken, try double-clicking on the data file you want to open. Or, alternatively, drag the data file over the Quicken application icon. Or, perhaps best for ongoing use, drag your two different data files to the right side of your Dock, and launch Quicken by clicking in the Dock on the data file you want to open.

Last thought: many of us have "everyday financial data" as well as IRAs , and Quicken makes it easy to keep them all in one data file. Perhaps you have some specific need to keep them separate, but for most people, the best way to use Quicken it to combine all your accounts in a single data file. Use separate data files if you keep financial records for someone else, like a child or parent, but put all your financial data in one place. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Jacobs.

Thank you for your comprehensive advice.

I have links to my data files in my Mac's dock. Prior to the most recent Quicken updates I was able to double click on those files to open them up in Quicken 2017. I began having my problems when I installed the Quicken 2017 update to version 4.8.1.

I recently shared my desktop view with Quicken support and the rep was able to see my problem. He then created test data files on his own Mac and had the same result. The solution - which it turns out was temporary - was to uninstall Quicken 2017, download the software again, and then reinstall it. I also removed the data file links from the dock and then dragged them back to the dock from the Quicken data folder. That worked OK for about two weeks. Now the problem is back.

I will contact Quicken support and let them know.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Greg said:

Hi Jacobs.

I have links to my data files in my Mac's dock. Prior to the most recent Quicken updates I was able to double click on those files to open them up in Quicken 2017. I began having my problems when I installed the Quicken 2017 update to version 4.8.1.

I recently shared my desktop view with Quicken support and the rep was able to see my problem. He then created test data files on his own Mac and had the same result. The solution - which it turns out was temporary - was to uninstall Quicken 2017, download the software again, and then reinstall it. I also removed the data file links from the dock and then dragged them back to the dock from the Quicken data folder. That worked OK for about two weeks. Now the problem is back.

Hmmm, that's odd that the alias of the data file in your Dock doesn't open the correct file. One more thought... How about if you make an alias of each data file (Command-Option-drag) on your desktop near your Dock. Then drag the alias onto the Quicken application icon in the Dock. Does that launch Quicken and open the correct file? Quit Quicken and try to the other file; does it work? It should, unless there's a bug in Quicken which allows it's stored setting for the last data file opened to override the specific file you are telling it to open on launch.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Larry Daniele
    Larry Daniele Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Greg said:

Hi Jacobs.

I'm experiencing a similar problem in Quicken Deluxe 2019 (Version 5.9.2 (Build 59.25153.100), macOS 10.14.2):
    1. Right-click on the Quicken icon in the dock, choose "MySecondFile.quicken".
    2. Quicken asks for the password for "MyFirstFile.quicken".
    3. Select Cancel.
    4. Quicken then asks for the password for "MySecondFile.quicken" (with the "Let's Get Started" dialog behind the password dialog).
    So I believe your statement:
    It should, unless there's a bug in Quicken which allows it's stored setting for the last data file opened to override the specific file you are telling it to open on launch.
    hits the nail on the head.

The problem is related to which file you opened last in Quicken. If it's the same file you are opening now, then you won't see a problem.

I will report this to Quicken Support.
  • Larry Daniele
    Larry Daniele Member ✭✭
    This is STILL a problem in Quicken Deluxe 2019 (Version 5.11.0 (Build 511.25626.100)). Has anyone confirmed that Quicken Support has an open case for this and is working on a solution?
This discussion has been closed.