What is the difference between "Quicken on the Web" and "Investment Portfolio"?

SimonSezSo
SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
What is the difference between "Quicken on the Web" and "Investment Portfolio"?  And why would you want to use "Investment Portfolio" if  you use "Quicken on the Web"?  And, why is it that OSU always wants to download to "Investing.Quicken.com"?  Is that the same as "Investment Portfolio'?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Easy question first.  :-)
    "Investing.Quicken.com"?  Is that the same as "Investment Portfolio'?
    Yes, it is.

Next harder question:
    And, why is it that OSU always wants to download to "Investing.Quicken.com"?
    This has been a long standing but forever.

You turn this off and then an update comes in, and it gets turned back on.
    It has been going on for so long I have just given up on trying to get it fixed.
    What I do is select a long closed account and "Send my symbols only", that way when it turns on it doesn't really send anything important.

Now for:

What is the difference between "Quicken on the Web" and "Investment Portfolio"?
    One of the first differences is right in the settings above.  I can choose to only send symbols for the Online Portfolio, but for the Quicken Cloud you don't get that choice.

The other differences is in what you can do with that data.  With the Quicken Cloud you get your accounts, securities, shares, values.

With the Online Portfolio you get something like you might expect from a portfolio on say Yahoo.  Where you can setup alerts, watch lists, get recommendations on if a security is a buy or not, that kind of thing.  The truth is though it is pretty "weak" as online portfolios go.  But of course it has the advantage that Quicken will keep the securities and number of shares up to date.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    P.S. Here is where you sign in.  You can then check out the differences for yourself.

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW  Thank you for this information.  I guess right now, I am a little Leary of online or mobile.  I just have seen a lot of posts on the topic lately.  Also, great tip on shutting off the "investing.Quicken.com".  Doing that would have never occurred to me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

QPW  Thank you for this information.  I guess right now, I am a little Leary of online or mobile.  I just have seen a lot of posts on the topic lately.  Also, great tip on shutting off the "investing.Quicken.com".  Doing that would have never occurred to me.

That is one other difference.  With the online portfolio all they are doing is sending your securities/shares to the it.  It is a one way transfer with zero chance of corrupting your data file.  Something you can't say about Quicken Cloud.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Good point.  "investing.Quicken.com" must be a "one way" communication, whereas, "Online Quicken" and mobile is a "two way" communication (or an attempt at it)?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

That is correct.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Quicken Web and Mobile are companion software to Quicken desktop and sync transaction data in cash, credit card, and bank accounts, and investment summary data, not transactions. Quicken Portfolio is only for investment data.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    ...and one other difference is that Quicken Web and Quicken Mobile are available to users of Quicken Canada. To the best of my knowledge, Quicken Portfolio is not intended for Canadians because the Canadian version of Quicken does not have the facility to upload investment data to Investment.Quicken.Com. Quicken Portfolio is not mentioned in the Help for Quicken Canada, there are no options for Quicken Portfolio is Preferences, and it not referenced in One Step Update.

Interestingly, this difference is not evident from Quicken's marketing material. The only difference in representation of the product's capabilities is that the US Version can Prepare Schedule D.

The non-disclosure of this difference irks me. I've brought it to Quicken's attention, but they haven't changed the market material to reflect the difference.

IMHO, it is difficult for the "average Joe" to understand what some of the online features are/do, and which versions of Quicken provide access to these features. This is something Quicken could definitely do better - explaining these things in the marketing material.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

...and one other difference is that Quicken Web and Quicken Mobile are available to users of Quicken Canada. To the best of my knowledge, Quicken Portfolio is not intended for Canadians because the Canadian version of Quicken does not have the facility to upload investment data to Investment.Quicken.Com. Quicken Portfolio is not mentioned in the Help for Quicken Canada, there are no options for Quicken Portfolio is Preferences, and it not referenced in One Step Update.

Interestingly, this difference is not evident from Quicken's marketing material. The only difference in representation of the product's capabilities is that the US Version can Prepare Schedule D.

The non-disclosure of this difference irks me. I've brought it to Quicken's attention, but they haven't changed the market material to reflect the difference.

IMHO, it is difficult for the "average Joe" to understand what some of the online features are/do, and which versions of Quicken provide access to these features. This is something Quicken could definitely do better - explaining these things in the marketing material.

Yes, marketing is VERY US centric. I have brought up other related issues, and even errors, several times with no change in the marketing; even repeating the errors, year after year.  :-\

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

Yeah it seems like they brought same pig headed marketing people from Intuit.  Once they decide something there is no telling them they are wrong.

Well not completely true we did succeed in one success.  All it took was hundreds of posts and votes.

And it seem like they must have only one web developer that one comes in once a year to do things, since you can repeat that a web page is wrong over and over, year after year and they still won't change it.
This discussion has been closed.