Is it not possible to generate a simple net worth report on a given date?

Honest
Honest Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Reports (Mac)
I am using Quicken Mac 2019 and I can find no way to generate a net worth or balance report for a specific day in time.  I want to create Jan 1 and December 31 net worth reports for last year, the beginning and the end.  These are to assist my accountant and were easily done in Q2007.  This is kind of a "bedrock accounting" report that we all need and I cannot fathom that it can't be done.  What am I missing?

Comments

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Honest(ly), this is one of the most glaring omissions in QM reporting and probably the easiest to implement. Why the "Accounts Summary" report does not allow the date to be changed is beyond me.

There is a way to get the information you're looking for, but it's really clunky.

The "Net Worth Over Time" report gives balances between two end dates, but unfortunately, you get all the intervening months. So for what you want, you'd have to do the following:

1. Customize the date range using a beginning date of 12/1/2017 (yes, 12/1/2017) and an end date of 12/31/2018. By default, Quicken uses the first of the month as the pick date for the first date value, but the actual balances are as of the end of the month. Quicken uses the last day of the month as the pick date for the second date value, and as one would expect, the account balances are as of that date. So to summarize, use a beginning date of 12/1/2017 and an end date of 12/31/2018. This will give balances as of 12/31/2017 and 12/31/2018.

2. You will need to expand all the categories by clicking the arrows so that the individual account balances show.

3. Now you've got a report you can print with thirteen months of values when you only wanted two!

4. Finally, there is no way to export this into Excel so that you can at least edit the data.

See what I mean by clunky?
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Or here's another way to solve your problem from SuperUser RickO.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/net-worth-quicken-mac-2017
  • Honest
    Honest Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks John!

It is most helpful to know that "Net Worth Over Time" uses the last day of the month to show results and, with that information, I can get what I need.  Still, it is ridiculous to have to go through all the motions to get a simple net worth statement...  I went the route in the link you suggested and got the information into a spreadsheet so I could manipulate it and get what I need.

Thanks again for your help.  Maybe, someday, Quicken will gt serious and realize we need a strong report capability out here in the real world.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    A Net Worth report is basically also called a Balance Sheet. You can add your VOTE for the
    Balance Sheet (aka Net Worth aka Accounts Summary) type report.

But since these are just a subset or an application of the Columnar Summary report organized with appropriate options, you may want to add your vote to Columnar Summary report (with selectable choices for rows and columns).

First
    , click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the:
    Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post too. BTW, the columnar-type summary report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post a little lower; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• The balance sheet is more valuable over time than spending.  It should not be this difficult using Quicken.  Lost a lot with the Mac version.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The balance sheet is more valuable over time than spending.  It should not be this difficult using Quicken.  Lost a lot with the Mac version.
    Then at the very least be sure to click on the link for the Balance sheet above, then add your vote by clicking the VOTE count located in the blue band on page 1.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.