Exporting investment data from Mac to Windows.

Unknown
Unknown Member
My number one request is still the same - I want to go back to using quicken for windows. I was able to export/import all of my data from Windows to Mac, but now I cannot export/import my investment data back over to Windows. Its SO annoying.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    How long ago did you switch from QWin to QMac?  And, which product year of QWin do you have?

Also, this is your first post, using this ID, in the forum ... so I don't understand the "is still the same" reference.  When did you previously state this request?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Steve, there are a lot of users who have migrated from Windows to Mac, but the demand to go the opposite way appears to be pretty small.

Among  Quicken users who go from Windows to Mac and decide they don't like it because of the limited feature set of the Mac version, most simply ditch the Mac and go back to using their previous Windows data file -- with the extra work of replicating anything they entered in the Mac version in the weeks that they tried to get settled on the Mac.

So that leaves a very, very small subset of users like you, who went from Windows to Mac, waited too long to jump back to your Windows data file withjout losing a lot of work, and now want to be able to migrate back.

I think they really should allow data to transfer in either direction, but I'm guessing that the demand for Mac-to-Windows conversions just isn't big enough for them to have made it a development priority to build this feature.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

How long ago did you switch from QWin to QMac?  And, which product year of QWin do you have?

Also, this is your first post, using this ID, in the forum ... so I don't understand the "is still the same" reference.  When did you previously state this request?

Hmm.  I think I bought my mac 8 - 10 years ago.  My QWin data all transferred over to Qmac flawlessly. 

Two summers ago I had my first real bad thing happen with QMac: I updated it and somehow in the process I lost years of investment history.  I was able to reconstruct some of it, some was lost forever.

Then last summer I bought a very nice Win laptop for other reasons and remembered how nicely Quicken ran on Windows (Qmac was pretty rudimentary when I first converted) and I was still angry about losing data on QMac, so I bought QWin (whichever version was current last summer) and installed it.  That's when I discovered that I could not import investment historical data.  Without that, I lose half my reason for having Quicken.  I contacted Quicken, was told it is a known issue and no fix is forthcoming.  So I now use my Mac for financial stuff and have pretty much abandoned my laptop.  So this is still my primary request for improvement in QWin.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    jacobs said:

Steve, there are a lot of users who have migrated from Windows to Mac, but the demand to go the opposite way appears to be pretty small.

Among  Quicken users who go from Windows to Mac and decide they don't like it because of the limited feature set of the Mac version, most simply ditch the Mac and go back to using their previous Windows data file -- with the extra work of replicating anything they entered in the Mac version in the weeks that they tried to get settled on the Mac.

So that leaves a very, very small subset of users like you, who went from Windows to Mac, waited too long to jump back to your Windows data file withjout losing a lot of work, and now want to be able to migrate back.

I think they really should allow data to transfer in either direction, but I'm guessing that the demand for Mac-to-Windows conversions just isn't big enough for them to have made it a development priority to build this feature.

The thing is, QMac sucked when I converted 10 years ago, but I persevered because I liked my Mac for everything else.  Over the years, QMac has become really good.  I'm happy to continue using it, but I have both systems, use them both, and was planning on switching back to Windows completely just because it can do things the Mac can't, and I don't really use the things that Mac does better.  Its a complete pain to use the Mac only for Quicken, so because of Quicken, I did not make the switch.  But because QMac is now good, there have to be a lot of people who switch and stay for a long time.  You may be right (and getting less right), but its no excuse.  Its horrible to just ignore a key deficiency of QWin.  Its obscene to have to competent sides of the same design house who will not make their two products completely compatible.  
This discussion has been closed.