Two Desktops

I have installed Windows version on my desktop and my wife's desktop. We will be working on the same file(not at the same time). So, when I finish my file and quit and she turns on her PC, will she be able to work on the same file that I just finished? If not, is there a way around it? Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OR, you could use a USB drive to move the file.
    NOTE, in Greg's message that you need to Backup and Restore to move the file. Do NOT attempt to use the file while it's in the cloud.  Doing so frequently results in irretrievable data corruption.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    Thanks to all. I have account with one drive. I assume that will work as well. A few more questions to come while I am getting started. We are using for rental house we have
  • MarcR
    MarcR Member ✭✭✭
    If both desktops are on the same network and you have and use an external hard drive for your PC backup(s) (file history, system image, etc..,for example), create a folder for your Quicken backup.  I use this method and back up every time I use the file on the primary desktop. When we use Quicken on any other PC on the network, we always access the latest backup to continue, then back it up again to external hard drive.  I do use OneDrive as well, but only for weekly or monthly back ups.
  • KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    OR, you could use a USB drive to move the file.
    NOTE, in Greg's message that you need to Backup and Restore to move the file. Do NOT attempt to use the file while it's in the cloud.  Doing so frequently results in irretrievable data corruption.
    How does this corruption happen (I'm honestly asking)? When you say "in the cloud" do you mean not to use the file when changes are being written to the cloud-based version? If not, how could simply moving a file from cloud to desktop and vice versa cause corruption?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you're running Quicken, the data file is open for read/write. If a read or write transaction does not complete correctly on a cloud/network drive and Quicken doesn't catch it, corruption can occur and you may not realize for days/weeks/months/years. Anyone that uses their Quicken data file from a cloud/network drive is playing with fire and just haven't gotten burned yet or have gotten burned and don't know it. Quicken was written to access data from a local hard drive.

https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    I am just getting started. I am only working with my primary desktop for now.Hipefully, by the time my wife is ready to work on her desktop, Quicken may solve this issue.
This discussion has been closed.