Duplicate Xin entries with paycheck

Options
I noticed with my last two paycheck, I'm getting a duplicate entry in my retirement account.  One line is fine and indicates the Cash Amt funded by my paycheck.  The other Xin entry references my paycheck as the description but has no Cash Amt.  If I attempt to delete the Xin transaction with zero amount, it tells me that the transaction was created as a transfer from a split transaction and to edit it from the source transaction.  However my paycheck that is the source of the transaction only has 1 entry.  I've not change anything about my paycheck entry but I do recall a Quicken update just before this started.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the paycheck transaction in your checking account ... try taking a backup and then CUTTING the paycheck transaction, and then re-pasting it.  If something fails, you've got the paycheck.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you using the Paycheck Wizard? Perhaps the second entry is from an Employer match or another deduction that is now zeroed out. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • muzicman61
    muzicman61 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions...

I backed up the file.  I cut the paycheck transaction from my checking account.  Both entries in my retirement account were removed.  When I pasted it back, both entries returned.

I probably used the paycheck wizard years ago when I first set this up.  My employer only makes their contribution twice a year, in March and October.  The duplicate entries only started with my paycheck of 2/15/19.  I believe that was just after R18.15 installed.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In that case, I believe that Jim Harman has nailed the issue.  R18.15 MAY have  decided to post $0 Employer Match amounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my experience several years ago, zero dollar amounts were always posted by the Paycheck Wizard, for example I would get them near the end of the year when I had maxed out the match.

To see if that is the cause, you might try putting in $1.23 or something for the match and see if it shows up in the mystery entry in your 401k.

Of course they don't do any harm, they just cause clutter in the receiving account. If you find them annoying, you could direct them to a dummy account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • muzicman61
    muzicman61 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It wouldn't bother me if that was the way it had always been.  But this just started with my last paycheck.  I do remember when I entered my 2/15 paycheck, it did ask me something about if this transaction included a 401k contribution and I said Yes.  However I have no idea how to change that.  I tried deleting the check and then changing the date of my next paycheck and re-entering it, but it did not ask me about 401k contributions and did make a duplicate zero amount entry.

As you suggested I added an employer match of $1 and you are correct.  I had two entries, one for my contribution and one for the employer and no zero amount transaction.  I have no idea why Quicken would make such a ridiculous change to add an employer match transaction that has a value of zero.

This discussion has been closed.