Creation of two Files

Initially, I created one file for our expenses. In the file I also included a guardianship account (incoming montly payments and expenses with a separate bank account). Now I think it is better if I have two separate files. One for me and my wife's account and one for the guardianship account. Is there a way to separate or break up the current file into two separate files? suppose the current file is names AndyG and I would break it into AndyG and Joseph. Any other suggestions will be appreciated as well.

Best Answers

Answers

• Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    Excellent idea. Thanks.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be aware of any previous interaction between the guardianship account and your own account... like a [Transfer] or any other payment, etc -
    The side benefit of the Copy & Delete - is that any existing Category info or other Quicken config, reports, etc - are all intact in the newly copied file.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    One way to split the data files is to create a copy and then delete the appropriate accounts from each data file.  For example, you could create Joseph by selecting File > Save a copy as….
    You might want to follow up with a File | File Operations | Copy after all the deletions are performed. That will clean up the file and likely reduce the file size. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I separated one file into two. The second file is for guardianship account. In the old combined file all of Joseph's transactions were tagged 'Joseph', I have attached an image of Joseph's transaction. Do I still need to tag a column as Joseph? Any suggestions how people populate other column's heading. No accountant here!

• Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    Sorry, previous message did not have the attachment. Here it is.
  • Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    That is a good idea as well. I am assuming that the reports can be sorted by each column heading, such as tags, categories, checks etc.
This discussion has been closed.