How do you get the Memo field displayed for Account transactions to print on split transactions?

Kenneth Goodwin
Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Reports (Windows)
When I construct a Report for a single category, the only memo field that is printed are those memos associated with non-split transactions which appear in the account transaction display since for my split transactions, the memo field is normally blank since I populated the Memo field in the account transaction display.

For example, if the transaction was split between a single category and sales tax, the printed Report Memo is only the one for the split transaction and not the populated Memo field shown in the account transactions display.

I like to see the memos when I view the account's transactions. In essence there are two different Memo fields with the same name Memo.  One for account transaction display and one for the split transaction display.

For a single category Report, any solution save having to copy all of the memos from the account transaction display to the split transaction display to get Reports to print the populated memo field in the account transaction display when the transaction was split?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If you haven't already, you may want to consider filtering and printing a register (press Ctrl + P and check Print split transactions).
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    edited April 2019
    Don't see how that will give me a report limited to just one Category which exists across all of the accounts. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by filtering which to me is requesting the one Category I want to be printed in the Report.

The memo line gives me the specifics of a transaction which I've only inserted in the account transaction display or account register as you correctly define it. If I've inserted a memo in the register yet split the transaction leaving the split transaction memo line blank, the report prints the blank split transaction memo line for the requested Category and doesn't print the register's memo line, the location where I normally describe the transaction. 

Problem as I see it is that the two different/separate memo entries have the same descriptive - Memo. I would name one Memo and the split transaction memo line as MemoSplit so that I could extract the register's memo line in a Report for a split transaction. 

I understand why the Report generation does this but for me the register is the primary data source and not the split transaction. I would have to execute two clicks in order to see the memo I've entered for the split transaction OR double enter the memo into both the register and the split transaction fields. 

I guess we all want our specific level of customization.  I've just gone into my 11 years of data and copied/pasted the memo data into those split transactions so I can see the memo when I look at the register and now have the Report print the memo line as pasted into the split transaction memo field. 

Regardless, thanks for the response.  I was wondering where the Print Split transactions capability was located.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may not be exactly what you want, but try going to Edit > Find. Next to Find, pick Category, then Contains, and pick the category from the dropdown list.

For a non-split transaction you will get one line that includes the transaction memo and amount.

For a split transaction that includes this category, you will get two lines - one for the whole transaction that includes the transaction memo and unfortunately the entire transaction amount and a second line for the split that includes the split memo and the split amount.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @Sherlock means is the "All Transactions" register which you get to by clicking on the blue "All transactions" at the top of the Account bar (usually on the left side of your screen).

I just discovered this recently after using Quicken for almost 20 years!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think @Sherlock means is the "All Transactions" register which you get to by clicking on the blue "All transactions" at the top of the Account bar (usually on the left side of your screen).

I just discovered this recently after using Quicken for almost 20 years!
    I've corrected the post.  Thanks.
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    Sherlock and Jim, Thanks for the great suggestions.  I knew there had to be a few ways to solve my problem.  What I was seeking were the improvements/repairs I've made to a 'second home' over the last ten years.  The memo lines are necessary to jog my memory wheras the specific transaction is sometimes a mystery.  Since sales taxes use to be deductible (Texas with no state income tax so we get a sales tax deduction of the Fed return), a good percentage of my transactions were split across the second home and sales tax categories yet all my memos were in the account register display.  Glad you guys could understand this since I found it hard just in describing it.  
This discussion has been closed.