Report Accounts - Select All

Options
I cannot figure out the logic Quicken uses in reports when I add a new account.

I had thought that if I had chosen "Select All" in a report, and then added a new account to Quicken, it would automatically be selected in that report.  Not always true, but not always false either.

If I had a report where I had indeed only selected certain accounts, it would not be selected.  This appears to be true.

The above would seem to me as the logical, but my experience has been a mixture of results.  Sometimes the new account is added to a "Select All" report, and sometimes it isn't.  I don't know why that is.

Thanks for any replies!

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Joe,

After making any changes, such as adding a new account. I would always verify that the account is included on the report or budget or any of the features in Quicken for that matter.

I would expect that a report would always need to be 're-customized' after adding an account. 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Not true.  I have numerous reports where the new account that was just added is automatically included.
  • Thank you.  It still seems strange that a single rule doesn't apply.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joe Smith said:
    Thank you.  It still seems strange that a single rule doesn't apply.
    Ideally that would be the case. I suspect this is an area that does not get a lot of testing on new releases, and the question is what should the behavior be?

If you have customized a report then you add an account, should the report automatically add the new account? Maybe only if you chose "Select All"? Should the result with "Select All" be different from the result if you manually select all the accounts then add an account? I could argue that either way.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hidden accounts might also be a factor in the logic (I haven't checked).  

My basic understanding with accounts and securities (not categories) has been new accounts (and securities) are usually added to a saved report -- the philosophy leaning toward 'better to show the user the information and let the user remove it, than to not show the information and expect the user to remember to add it'.  

I can't swear that programming is universal or ever was, and the admonition to check for inclusion or exclusion is wise, IMO.

This discussion has been closed.