Anyone else getting "unable to download the latest quotes" in One Step Update Summary but...

Receiving the "unable to download the latest quotes" every time that I run the One Step Update in Quicken Premier R18.16. When I open the various investment registers and look at the Holdings, all of the securities have the current quote. There are no securities with missing tickers.

I didn't have this issue previously and at various times I have owned securities which weren't publicly traded in the portfolio so they had no ticker or quotes but still never saw this message.

Anyone else seeing this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you verify TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 on the Advanced tab of the Internet Options window are enabled: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options
  • titanrx8
    titanrx8 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, the TLS1.1 and 1.2 were already enabled.

The quotes for all of my active positions (about 300 tickers) are updating properly so I suspect that Quicken '19 might be a bit more critical of some of the holdings that might be requesting price updates. In the past, I rarely turned off the price tracking when a a company ceased using a ticker or when I sold a security. I think that it is giving the error in response to trying to update a ticker that no longer exists. I am going to review all of the portfolio settings for pricing. Might take a while since over time there are probably 1000+ hidden securities in the portfolio list.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the bottom of the One Step Update Summary view.
    Is there a checkmark at "Show just the last update"?
    If not, old error messages may displayed over and over,
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The quotes for the active positions may be provided by the brokerage.  If you examine the One Step Update Summary, Quicken will tell you how many of the requested securities it was able to successfully pull quotes from the third-party quote provider.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    titanrx8 said:
    In the past, I rarely turned off the price tracking when a a company ceased using a ticker or when I sold a security. I think that it is giving the error in response to trying to update a ticker that no longer exists.

I am going to review all of the portfolio settings for pricing. Might take a while since over time there are probably 1000+ hidden securities in the portfolio list.
    In my experience with Quicken, I see the program downloading quotes for securities that are a) checked in the security list to have quotes downloaded, and b) either owned in an account or included in the Watch list (security list check box).  My experience is that for the last 5+ years, the program has quit asking for the quote on a security once all positions in that security had been sold off.  (More like 10 years ago, the program would consider only the Download Quotes check box in the security list.)  

On that basis, your consideration of tickers no longer active is probably relevant, but would likewise tie to whether that security is also in the Watch List.
  • titanrx8
    titanrx8 Member ✭✭
    UKR, Sherlock and q_lurker, thanks for the responses.

The "show just the last update" is checked.

The error message is , "Unable to download the latest quotes. Try again later." No indication that any security prices were updated at all.

Taking a careful look at the securities list now to see if I have anything on watch and uncheck it. I don't need Quicken to watch securities. My brokerage account sends realtime notifications on things I'm watching.

If killing off the watched securities doesn't do the trick I'll look closer at the "dead" securities.

Thanks all.
  • titanrx8
    titanrx8 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I cleaned up the security list and eliminated all watched and un-checked download prices for the dead tickers. Ran one-step update for just the brokerage account and received the same "unable" message. For the heck of it, I re-ran the one-step update for all 14 accounts (bank, credit card, brokerage) and the "unable" message was replaced with the more common "x of Y" quotes were updated with a link for a report.
    And this is the report

Checked the security list and there were no securities named "0", but there was one named "unidentified security" which had no ticker, no cusip, no transaction history but did have a lengthy price history. Not sure where this came from but it did have the check for price downloads so I unchecked it and will see how future one-step updates proceed.

Thanks again for all of the responses.
  • titanrx8
    titanrx8 Member ✭✭
    q_lurker, you are right on the money with the muni bonds. The munis are only priced monthly or quarterly so I find it easier to just update the month end value from the broker statement (I have no particular need to do this other than reconciling Quicken to the statement since when I sell the munis at some point the final transaction handles the final price update for the gain or loss)

I wasn't aware that all of the new securities get automatically added to the watch list. Have to keep an eye on that. I don't use the watch list in Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also note that the stock market is closed today for Good Friday ... so you're not going to get ANY new quotes for today.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.