Financial institutions with missing column field don't appear in list and can't be added

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already but here's something I discovered while trying to add my Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM) credit card to Quicken.

I recently asked if anybody knew if NFM was an institution supported by Quicken because I was unable to add it due to not appearing in the list of available institutions in the "Add Account" window.

The response was that NFM was on the file (C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019\fidir.txt) of supported of financial institutions and thus it should appear on the list when trying to add it.  This didn't solve my issue because even though it was in indeed in the list in my computer, NFM didn't show up when searching for it in the dialog box to add a new CC.

I looked a little more into the file contents and noticed that, compared to other institutions that do appear when searching for them, the NFM entry had a field missing.  The NFM row has 11 fields whereas the other ones, that do show up, have 12 fields.  I obviously don't know what each field means, but it looks like the field in question has list of services available. Here's a comparison:

• Institutions with 12 fields have something like this in the 9th and 10th columns:
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT	BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
  • Institutions with 11 fields just have something like this in the 9th column:
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

I tested this by trying to add accounts with 12 fields, and they all appeared on the list.  I then tried to add accounts with only 11 fields and they didn't show up. I wouldn't be doing due diligence if I hadn't tried to edit the file ;) So I did, I added "CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT" to the "missing" field in the NFM row, restarted, and wouldn't you know it, it worked! :smiley: NFM showed up on the list, asked for my credentials, found my account and created the account with the correct information (limit) and balance!

Big Disclaimer: Now, this is all internal to the application, I'm not sure how it will affect the overall behavior and/or if it will cause problems from which I won't be able to recover. I am comfortable making these types of changes, and I made a backup of my files just prior to doing this, but still wouldn't recommend it because I'm not sure of any hidden consequences later. There's a reason why that entry was like that.  I might even get banned from here :'(  but still wanted to share my findings with the community in case anyone is having similar problems.  It might help when troubleshooting with technical support.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that this is something to be dealt with by Q Support.  Because the name WOULD indicate that Credit Cards are supported ... but the detail in FIDIR.TXT doesn't.
    When I tried to add a checking card with that name, NFM DID come up.
    Scroll to the bottom of the webpage to see your options.

BTW, is NFM's name also on the BACK of your credit card? Because that would be the bank that actually issued the card.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Interesting. NFM is a furniture store so it didn't occur to me to add it or look for it as a "checking" account.  I did try however to look for it under various names in the CC list, including "NFM", "Furniture Mart", "NEFM" and other combinations and didn't have any luck.

I'm going to restore my files to just before this change and see if I can add it as a "checking" account.

Thanks for the insight

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Your credit card will NOT work properly when set up as a checking account.
    For starters, a credit card is a Liability, while a checking account is an asset.
    Please contact Q Support, as previously suggested.

• Will do. Thank you. I believe that NFM is miscategorized in the financial institution list and it's preventing it from appearing as CC provider in the "Add Account" window, but instead shows up as a "Cheking" provider as you confirmed.

For a little more clarity when others read this thread in the future, I think this post would be better titled as follows:
    Financial institutions with missing column field don't appear in (the CC) list and can't be added (as a CC)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, Q Support can correct that.  Have you contacted them?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    " ... The NFM row has 11 fields whereas the other ones, that do show up, have 12 fields".

Not material to your issue. 

[And actually, there are three columns that pertain to download capabilities: your financial institution has only one column with download pertinent data - so it has two fewer columns than the max.]

"NFM is a furniture store so it didn't occur to me to add it or look for it as a "checking" account".

That is material.

When you look at the row for your financial institution, the column that describes what they download, shows "BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT".

When a financial institution offers credit card downloads, you would see the text, "CREDIT" in that column. [And if they don't offer checking or savings downloads, the text "BANKING" should not be there.]

If your financial institution wants to offer credit card downloads, they will have to contact Quicken to get the fidir.txt file corrected.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Will do. Thank you. I believe that NFM is miscategorized in the financial institution list and it's preventing it from appearing as CC provider in the "Add Account" window, but instead shows up as a "Cheking" provider as you confirmed.

For a little more clarity when others read this thread in the future, I think this post would be better titled as follows:
    Financial institutions with missing column field don't appear in (the CC) list and can't be added (as a CC)

Hello @magaly.francisco

Thank you for sharing the details of this issue with the Community although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.

In looking into this matter, it does appear that Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM) is listed incorrectly on the FIDIR list and when attempting to add accounts, Quicken is looking for checking/savings account information, not credit card.

I would like to report this issue so it can be investigated further and the script corrected, however to do so I need a little more information.  When selecting "checking" instead of credit card - were your accounts with NFM found?

If so, did you have the option to Add or Link them in Quicken?  And does any transactions download?

Have you spoken with Quicken Support regarding this issue?  If so, do you have a case number for the contact?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • igotbass
    igotbass Member
    I just installed Quicken Premier, current version 2020, R23.21, 27.1.23.21. It is now January of 2020 and the Nebraska Furniture Mart card can only be found if searching under Checking. It connects, and it adds it to the Credit Card list, but it is still categorized incorrectly.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the FIDIR.txt with Excel, you will see that Nebraska Furniture is properly formatted and everything shows up in the correct columns.

The first blank column is where the Direct Connect would be, the second is where the Web Connect would be, the third always seems to be empty and the next the the Express Web Connect which NFM supports.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• magaly.francisco
    magaly.francisco Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > (Quote)
    > Hello @magaly.francisco
    >
    > Thank you for sharing the details of this issue with the Community although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.
    >
    > In looking into this matter, it does appear that Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM) is listed incorrectly on the FIDIR list and when attempting to add accounts, Quicken is looking for checking/savings account information, not credit card.
    >
    > I would like to report this issue so it can be investigated further and the script corrected, however to do so I need a little more information.  When selecting "checking" instead of credit card - were your accounts with NFM found?
    >
    > If so, did you have the option to Add or Link them in Quicken?  And does any transactions download?
    >
    > Have you spoken with Quicken Support regarding this issue?  If so, do you have a case number for the contact?
    >
    > Please let us know, thank you.
    >
    > Sarah

I know it's been a while, but I just reinstalled Quicken (Deluxe Windows 10 - vR26.23 b27.1.26.23) and the same behavior is there: the name of the bank/CC "Nebraska Furniture Mart" is present in the bank list:

61497 61497 61497 Nebraska Furniture Mart - Credit C http://www.nfm.com 1-800-336-9136 https://www.nfm.com/my-account ACTIVE BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

but it does not show up as option when trying to enable "Online Services" to the account.

To answer your questions:

. When attempting to add it as a checking account, my account is found.
    . It does give me the option to link it to an existing account and it does, but transactions do not get downloaded.
    . I've not spoken with Quicken support about this issue (and so I don't have a case number).

Thanks for looking into it.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-read my reply of April 2019 (near the top of this thread) and @mshiggins reply also of April 2019.
    There's NOTHING that the moderators of this thread can do to correct the situation.  This has to be corrected by Q Support and by NFM (who provided the faulty info).

This discussion has been closed.