Issue with Compare Holdings

I own UBS Govt Securities (SGEXX) in my UBS account. When I "Compare Holdings" after download it shows in Quicken, but indicates UBS reports "0" shares. Online, I can see the holdings in my UBS account. I contacted UBS and they confirm shares are there. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer

• BobL48
    BobL48 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I checked OFX log file and it looks like SGEXX holdings not being downloaded. That appears to be the issue. I will check with UBS tech support tomorrow and see they can resolve. Thanks all for the comments/help. 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that the settlement fund for the UBS account? Sometimes brokerages treat the settlement fund as Cash, with zero shares held.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    And some brokerages just ignore the money market funds designated by the symbol ending in "XX".  Based on what I can decipher in the OFX log, the brokerages are not loading the "XX" funds into the Holdings data portion of the OFX file.

I've tried working with Morgan Stanley to get them to correct it but they are not very bright.  They report cash correctly and consistently with how they report it on their website now, but they still ignore the MMF's as holdings.  You might try talking to UBS but I doubt they will be any more interested in solving it than MS.  Vanguard on the other hand gets it right with MMF's and reports them as holdings.
  • BobL48
    BobL48 Member ✭✭
    I checked the account and SGEXX is listed in the "Cash" portion of the account, just below the uninvested funds. I did "Symbol Lookup" on MarketWatch website and it locates the security, so it is publicly listed, not "InHouse security". I will run Markus1957 comments re OFX file re UBS tech support and get their input. That sounds like it could be the issue. 

Thanks for input and the REALLY rapid reply
    Have a good remainder of the weekend. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the CUSIP number you have associated with SGEXX does not match the CUSIP number UBS is providing.  I suggest you edit the mismatched securities and uncheck the Matched with online security box.  When Quicken subsequently processes the data from the financial institution, you should be prompted to match the unmatched securities obtained from the financial institution with the unmatched securities in Quicken.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You can try @Sherlock suggestion but it likely won't work. 

@Bob_L , as @Jim_Harman pointed out, if your brokerage includes MMF's as part of your cash position and reports it correctly in Quicken (when clicking Cask link in the account register, the values match) then there is no issue to solve. That is a valid way under OFX to handle MMF's. That being said, if they choose to handle it that way, they should not be including buy and sell transactions in the download for the MMF. 

My battle with MS in their handling of MMF's is that they do include MMF Buy/Sell transactions in the download but don't report it as a holding. They do not show the MMF on their website under cash, but rather as a mutual fund holding. That is not consistent with OFX specs.

So if UBS is NOT including Buy/Sell transactions of the MMF in downloads and is including the value of the MMF with reported cash, they are using one of the accepted OFX methods for MMF's.
  • BobL48
    BobL48 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I checked OFX log file and it looks like SGEXX holdings not being downloaded. That appears to be the issue. I will check with UBS tech support tomorrow and see they can resolve. Thanks all for the comments/help. 
This discussion has been closed.