Investment account balance incorrect

Ben
Ben Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
My investment account shows I purchased a CD and it deducted the amount.  The register balance went down by the amount of the CD, but there is no corresponding "deposit" or placeholder to show that my total account balance didn't change.  In the summary column on the left, the account balance is correct, but in the account register it is incorrect.  How can this be corrected?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Ben,

If you look in the portfolio view of this account how is this CD displayed?

What information is missing about this CD that the accounts needs? Is it just the value of the CD that is needed?

It sounds as though it may be possible to create a Payment/Deposit for the value of the CD if that's all that is missing.

Please see the steps for creating a payment/deposit to see if this is what you are needing https://www.quicken.com/support/adding-paymentdeposit-quicken-mac .

~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In what account and what type of account, are you holding that CD?  How did you record that purchase?
    Because, normally it would be a security in an Investment account, and you would have either used Cash in the Investment account, or transferred cash into that account, to buy the CD.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭
    More info:  These transactions were downloaded automatically from Schwab.  Here is a correct entry - I purchased a CD in 2017 and 2 transactions were created on the same date:  one was "Buy bonds" and cash out for $X and the other was "Payment/Deposit" and cash in also for $X (representing the CD).  I purchased another CD in 2018, but only one transaction was created for the cash out "Buy Bonds" for $Y.  Therefore my Balance column went down.  However, when I look at the balance summary on the right, the total is still correct - the summary balance doesn't match the account balance.  If I try to add a "Cash In" transaction manually, then both balances go up, but then obviously the summary balance is not right.  Why does the summary balance not equal the account balance?
  • Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭
    Sorry, the balance summary is on the left.  :)
This discussion has been closed.