BUG? Investing Allocation by Security Chart Misclassifying Security as "Other"

Options
Scooterlam
Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
edited May 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I was looking for an exportable portfolio value report for my portfolio visualizer account and found what appears to be a bug or inconsistency between the graph portlet (Investing>Allocations>Allocation by Security) and the report produced from the same graph.  See image 1.

Basically, VWINX (a Vanguard MF) is incorrectly grouped under "Other" in the portlet (right side of image 1), whereas in the report, it is properly broken out, as expected (left side of image 1).

I checked to ensure that Account and Securities filters were set the same in both cases. They were.  As for the security in question, it appears to show up correctly in the Security Detail View shown in Image 2.

Have you seen this issue?  Can you replicate?  Known bug?  Workaround?  Am I missing something?

Scott
2019 QW HBR R18.15

Image 1

Image 2

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually the problem is that the Investing > Allocations > Allocation by security chart is limited to 11 slices - 10 individual securities plus everything else in "Other" and for some reason it doesn't pick your 10 largest holdings to show individually.

In my case my largest holding is lumped with the Others so the chart is basically useless. 

It appears that in the full screen version of the chart, the largest holdings are displayed individually.

I think if you go to the top of the page and select 10 or fewer securities to display, they will all be displayed.

Note that this display is showing securities, not asset classes, so "Other" is "Securities other than the 10 Quicken chose to display"

I agree both displays should be the same, and the full screen one, showing the 10 largest holdings rather than 10 randomly selected ones is what I would prefer to see.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Thanks Jim,

Is "report a problem" in Help menu the best way of getting bugs like this reported and in the queue for future consideration?

• Jim_Harman
    Options
    I have not had good luck with "Report a problem" unless someone from Quicken has taken an interest in an issue and asked me to send logs and such. 

If you post an issue in the Quicken for Windows > Product ideas section of this community, at least it will get some visibility, and others can vote on it. The Quicken powers that be say they periodically review these ideas and decide which ones to implement. You will see that your other recent post is there now.

It will help if you give the idea a clear title like "Fix Investing Allocation by Security chart so it shows largest holdings" along with a concise description of the problem and a screenshot like you did in Image 1. 

Or if you really like testing and reporting problems you can apply to be a Beta tester.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    It looks like what it is doing is displaying the first 10 or 11 securities that have a positive value selected in the dropdown list, which is arranged alphabetically, then arranging them from largest to smallest value.

If more than 11 qualify, it shows the first 10 individually and the ones later in the alphabet are lumped into "Other".

It would be much better if it selected the 10 largest from all those selected and lumped all the smaller ones into "Other".
This discussion has been closed.