Why is only one investment account total incorrect when I run a networth report?

smoak53
smoak53 Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Investing (Windows)
When I run either a networth report or an account balances report all, of my investment account totals are correct except one. That one investment account total is correct everywhere except when I try to run those reports. It is significantly higher than what it actually is. I just updated from Quicken 2016 to the Quicken subscription, however it was doing the same thing before the upgrade. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of account, in Q, and what type in real life?  What do you hold in that account?  What Financial Institution?
    Finally, please do HELP, About Quicken and tell us the Build info that you find there.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, back up your data file.

Then go to File > File Operations > Validate and Repair and see if Quicken finds any problems with your data.

Assuming that is OK, one thing you might do is to customize the net worth report to show just the problem account then run the report for earlier dates to see when the balance stops matching the balance elsewhere in Quicken, for example in the account's Holdings view with the As of date set to match the report date.

See if you can find a particular transaction when the problem starts. Post back here if you need help resolving this.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • smoak53
    smoak53 Member ✭✭
    RE: NotACPA answer
    It is a single investment account (Ameritrade) of individual stocks both in Quicken and in real life.Upon looking at the account closer and comparing it with my statement I found that the actual networth report amount is correct, not the other way around.  In the Quicken Ameritrade account overview - holdings market value amount is correct, but in the account status, security value, it is much less. The Quicken version is 2019, version R18.16 and the build is 27.1.18.16.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comparing Q's Portfolio (CTRL-U)  to a brokerage stmt, can you narrow the difference down to a particular security?  Have you compared the #shs and $/shs for that security between the two?

• smoak53
    smoak53 Member ✭✭
    I have now compared the brokerage account holdings statement (shares, share price and market value) against my quicken account holdings and they are exactly the same. )-: In the Quicken Ameritrade account holdings overview the market value is correct, but when you go down to the next section "account status", the security value is 17% less than the actual market value. So strange as every other account is right on the number, however, this is the only account that is a brokerage account with an assortment of stocks and mutual funds in it. Could this be the problem?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, are  you saying that in Q's Portfolio view (CTRL-U) the value of the account isn't equal to the sum of the values in that account?  Can you take a snapshot of that, and post it here to help us to understand the situation?

• Jim_Harman
    edited May 2019
    @smoak53 is not looking a Portfolio view. From the account's transaction list (register) he clicks on Holdings to display the Account Overview.

He is saying that the totals in the Holdings section at the top do not match the numbers in the Account Status section below.

One way this could happen is if the As of date in the Holdings section is not set to today's date.

Perhaps the As of date is set to the statement date (he says the Holdings numbers match his statement) while the Account Status section is showing today's values.

Perhaps this is the same problem that affects the reports: the reports are showing the current value of the account rather than the end of month numbers shown on the statement.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoak53 said:
    In the Quicken Ameritrade account holdings overview the market value is correct, but when you go down to the next section "account status", the security value is 17% less than the actual market value. So strange as every other account is right on the number, however, this is the only account that is a brokerage account with an assortment of stocks and mutual funds in it.
    Do you have any cash in the account? If so, it is perfectly normal for Total Market Value to be greater than Security Value. The difference is the Cash Balance.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• smoak53
    smoak53 Member ✭✭
    Jim, Rocket and NotACPA:
    Sure appreciate everyone's input, but still no luck.
    @ Rocket  - Only have 122.00 in cash in the account so that is not the problem. 
    @Jim - this clarification by you is correct:  " smoak53 is not looking at Portfolio view. From the account's transaction list (register) he clicks on Holdings to display the Account Overview. He is saying that the totals in the Holdings section at the top do not match the numbers in the Account Status section below. Jim, Unfortunately, the dates are correct, I always run an update right before I print a report, so the dates and prices are current.
    Not sure if I will ever figure this out...)-:
  • Jim_Harman
    I am still a little confused. In your original post you said that the net worth report was incorrect, then later you said that the net worth report is correct and the balances in the account are wrong. Are you now saying that the balances in the Holdings section of the Account Overview are correct and the only error is in the Account Status section of the Acount overview?

When comparing to online balances at your broker, make sure you do it after about 7PM Eastern time or on a weekend so you are looking at closing share prices and updated NAVs for your mutual funds.

Also make sure there are no future dated transactions in the account that might be throwing off the balances.

• smoak53
    smoak53 Member ✭✭
    Sorry Jim,
    yes, my initial post was incorrect. It was not until I checked my shares and share prices against my statement (per NotACPA) that I realized I actually had more money than I thought I did. The Homepage with all my accounts has the wrong value for the Ameritrade account which is the same incorrect value as in the Account Status. The only correct amount is the market value in the Account Overview holdings. So the good thing is when I run the actual networth report it is correct, but if I don't run the report and just look at the Homepage Ameritrade account total  and  the networth total at the bottom of the Homepage it is wrong. Thanks for your help, I guess I will just have to live with it.
This discussion has been closed.