Shares of a security disappeared within investment account.

Using Quicken for Windows subscription,  R18.16 Build 27.1.18.16.   I have an investment account (401K, through employer)  It shows 90.492 shares of a security on 2/28/19, and that securty disappears for 3/1/19.  Additional shares are added, at the next pay period -- but the 90+ shares, and the value of those shares do not show up in Quicken any longer.   I see no "mystery transactions" which would account for this...   Please help me figure out what happened. .

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do things look when you view the 401k account online via their website ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the particular security?  And what brokerage holds it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for placeholders. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• AnnKelley
    AnnKelley Member ✭✭
    Good thought, but no placeholder entries.
  • AnnKelley
    AnnKelley Member ✭✭
    I have updated settings per Jim_Harman's instructions, and found a placeholder for this security -- I've updated to have the proper number of shares, and things look... better. ..now.  This will make the share balance correct, and show the balance properly.  Not sure why the placeholder was created.

Thanks for your help!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Placeholders are created when you do a manual Update share balance (AKA Adjust share balance) or when you are finished accepting download transactions and Quicken's share balance does not match the downloaded balance. 

Sometimes the downloaded balance is incorrect or has not been updated to include recent transactions, even if those transactions were included in the downloads.

You can avoid unwanted placeholders by reviewing each transaction rather than automatically accepting them and not letting Quicken create them when it offers after you click on Done at the end of your session.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.