MERGING INVESTMENT ACCOUNTS (Q Mac)

David Hunter
David Hunter Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Investing (Mac)
We had two separate investment accounts and have merged them into a single trust.  Is there a way to merge the two accounts and preserve the transaction history in Quicken 2018 for Mac?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... (Note: you mentioned Quicken 2018-you have to make sure you upgrade to the latest version of 2019 (which 2018 will) as this feature was recently added. 

Of course this will ONLY upgrade if your subscription is current and not expired, otherwise. 

(And if you are expired and have not upgraded, not sure if you would be able to upgrade to the last version just before the expiration or if you would be stopped from doing any upgrades at all).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• David Hunter
    David Hunter Member ✭✭
    Overall the transfer worked well. There was one security that showed as having transferred but there was no sign of the shares in the receiving account. Since I don't use my file for tax purposes I just "bought" the missing shares at zero cost to get the portfolio right. Maybe the shares will show up later and I'll have to reverse my correction or adjust the cost.

A still unresolved glitch is that the combined portfolio now prices out at about 18% less than it did before and below the value in the brokerage account. The individual holdings seem right so I'm not sure where the problem is. I gave up last night but will keep looking and will do a full reconciliation when I get the next statement.

Thanks again for your help!
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2019
    I would check the beginning of the destination register to see if a placeholder is offsetting the moved (phantom) security. 

You can use "Add Shares" instead of Buy shares-this will allow you to enter the cost without affecting your cash balance (even though I know you entered $0). I know you mentioned not being too worried about the basis being off, but having it correct might help you sleep better at night.

With a little sleuthing, I think you should be able to figure out the 18% difference. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.