Is there a way to add a different column to a Quicken report?

I am using Q17.  Can I add a column to a report that is not listed in a particular standard report.  For example, I would like to add a column for the account name to the asset allocation report.

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I think that you're referencing the "Investment Asset Allocation" report .... which is organized by Asset type and then by security.
    There's no way to add Account name to that report ... and I'm not sure as to what benefit that would be anyway, since each of my mutual fund investments are made up of multiple "Asset types". 
    And my stock investments are held in several accounts (my taxable brokerage, wife's taxable brokerage, IRA's, etc.).
    That report would be an absolute mess if the Account that held the security had to be included.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can customize the Investing > Investment Asset Allocation report so that it only includes the securities for one account. Click on the gear at the top right of the report, select the Accounts tab and choose one account.

To get what I think you are looking for, you would have to make a separate report for each of your accounts.

Also you can customize the Investing > Portfolio views to include a wide range of columns and you can group the views by account. One of the columns you can add is "Fund category" which for mutual funds will give you a general idea of what the fund holds. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BUT, multiple Allocation accounts won't give you the overall allocation of your portfolio ... only of those individual pieces.
    I don't know about you, but I consider my ENTIRE portfolio, including all of the accounts that I previously referenced, to be what I look at for proper allocation.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    I agree on looking at the overall allocation.

I suppose one might use a multi-step process when rebalancing - first determine which asset classes are overweight, then which securities contribute to that asset class. You can do this with the Investment Allocation report.

The next step would be to determine where you hold those securities and I guess that is what the OP is looking for.

You could use the Investing Portfolio Tax Implications view grouped by account and customize it to include just the securities of interest. To take potential tax consequences of sales into account, you would also need to consider taxable vs deferred accounts and for taxable accounts the gain or loss in each tax lot.

It does get complicated if you have a lot of accounts and securities. All the more reason to keep things simple!

• Jim_Harman
    One more observation on the Investment Allocation report/graph:

If you click on one of the segments of the graph, you will see just that asset class. If you customize that report, it now offers a subtotal option and you can subtotal by account.

So now you have a report that shows all the accounts that hold for example Large Cap stocks and each security that contributes to that asset class (One security might contribute to other asset classes as well.) This does not drill down to tax lots, but you can see the total gain or loss for each security in each account.
  • rickythecool
    rickythecool Member ✭✭
    Thank both of you for your suggestions.  This will not totally accomplish what I want, but it is helpful.  As you have described it, I will have to run separate reports for each asset class if I want to see the accounts.  Alternatively, I can run a separate report for each account, if I want to see the asset classes.  My real objective is to take a report showing both, and export to Excel, where I can add to and subdivide the asset classes available in Quicken.  When  I do this, for example,  I'd like to be able to see which assets are held in regular investment accounts and which ones are in tax sheltered accounts. 
         Thanks for your suggestions; they are a good place to start.
  • rickythecool
    rickythecool Member ✭✭
    Jim,   Thanks for your latest suggestion; it could be very useful.
This discussion has been closed.