Cash Reserves/Cash Imbalance

My Fidelity investment account is messed up in Quicken (windows Home & Business 2019 desktop). The Quicken balance matches what Fidelity shows, but when I look at the holdings they're all correct except "Fidelity Cash Reserves" shows a negative number and "Cash" shows a positive number of the same value. There is no cash in the account, it's all invested. I think a downloaded transaction went wrong? How can I correct it? If I change the cash value to zero it throws the amount off, obviously.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to do that would be to enter a Buy for Fidelity cash reserves on the date when the cash balance was first incorrect. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    It's a whole lot simpler, in a Fidelity account, to simply hold Cash as CASH, rather than as a MMF.
    That way you don't have to deal with all of the MMF buys or sales whenever there's a transaction in the account.
    AND dividends upon this cash still download into the account as Cash ... they're just not used to buy the MMF at a constant $1.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @NotACPA . My core holding is Fidelity Government Money Market, and my holding in that fund is shown not as shares, but as my cash balance. This is the simplest and best way to handle cash in a Fidelity account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.