Stock quotes - Price Day Change missing

Hugh C Pryor
Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I noticed that after updating to the current release that Q does not report Price Day Change for three of my equities: BA, DWDP and PFE. All the rest seem to display properly.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    " ... after updating to the current release .....

While I'm skeptical that it matters to your problem; when you think such a condition matters enough to post it, you need to be much more specific. 

In fact, whenever you initiate a discussion, you need to specify the Quicken Year, Edition, and exact Release. Example: Q2019 Deluxe R19.36. See Help > About Quicken.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Hugh C Pryor
    Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
    Q2019 Deluxe for Win, R19.36 build 27.1.19.36.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Is it working ok now - sometimes I will get a stock quote that misses a day here and there, but not just stops - have you looked at the Quicken Price History for these stocks
    --> Security List --> pick a stock --> is it checkmarked for Download Quote -- Click it -
    --> Security List --> pick a stock --> Update --> Edit Price History

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hugh C Pryor
    Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
    ps56k I have done all of those. Everything is fine except that one column f(Price Day Change) for the 3 equities I mentioned. The $gain/loss is correct. It is not a big deal now but I was just passing on an anomaly that occured with the last program update.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    weird - is it blank or zero - what about the Change % -
    Here is a portion of my column - and - BA - Boeing - from today -
    - Day Gain/Loss --> ok
    - Price Day Change --> ?
    - Price Day Change (%)  --> ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hugh C Pryor
    Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
    Price Day change is blank, % is 0 Day Gain/Loss is correct.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Hugh C Pryor

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community. 

May I ask, are you still seeing a blank Price Day Change for these three securities? 

Or has the information updated correctly since this issue first occurred?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Hugh C Pryor
    Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
    Hi,

Yes as of this morning the problem is still present. Interesting though, is that if I update prices by using one step update it works properly.

Hugh
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi Hugh,

Thank you for the response and that additional information, although I apologize that this issue is still present.

May I ask, when the update fails - where is it being initiated from? 
        Investing Tab > Portfolio view > Update Quotes?
        Or the Security Detail View > Download Quotes?

Also when the update fails, does the date and timestamp for the last update show the correct date/time?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah

• Hugh C Pryor
    Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
    Investing Tab > Portfolio view > Update Quotes.
    The date and time are correct.
    This problem occurred with the most recent update of Quicken.
    It happens 100% of the time when updating as above.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @Hugh C Pryor

Thank you for that additional information. 

I attempted to replicate this behavior in my copy of Quicken 2019 R19.44, but unfortunately could not, all price day changes update as expected.

If you select to update the Historical Prices - do the missing price day changes download?

Thank you,

Sarah

• Hugh C Pryor
    Hugh C Pryor Member ✭✭
    It works properly if I do a one step update or update historical prices. The only way the error occurs is if I do it this way: Investing Tab > Portfolio view > Update Quotes.
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    I have 7 holdings (symbols) each time I hit update (quotes) from my portfolio I'm viewing, it updates the totals at the bottom Day gain/loss but doesn't display " Price Day Change" for each of the holdings for the most recent closing date, usually the date before. I might go to checking or savings accts. and then back to portfolio 10 min. later still no prices, 10 hrs. later prices maybe showing. I'm using Quicken Premier 2019 ver. R19.44.
    So how do we fix this ? I have already reinstalled the software, help and support don't list the topic. So any suggestions, please reply
    Thanks , Tim
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Which holdings are affected?

The "Price day change" and "Day Gain/loss" columns show the change since the previous day's close and a security's entry will be blank if there is no updated price for the current day.

Note that mutual fund prices (anything with a 5-letter ticker) are only updated once per day after the close of trading. Quicken usually has the updated prices by about 7PM Eastern time, but sometimes they update overnight.

For any security that has not updated today, you will see a little clock icon in the Quote/Price column. If you hover over that, it will show when the price was last updated.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Also if you want to see how yesterday's closing price compared to the day before, you can set the As of date at the top of the portfolio view to yesterday. 
  • Justin Damerell
    Justin Damerell Member ✭✭
    When updating stock portfolio, some stocks show an updated Day Gain/Loss, but the Price Day Change is blank. So the data has been downloaded, but not displayed. Is there some limit to number of entries that can be updated? I have 55 companies I am tracking. Running Quicken 19.44 Build # 27.1.19.44.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, thanks for the clarification.

There should be no problem tracking 55 companies.

For a company where the Price Day Change is blank, click on the name of the company to display the Security Detail View. The data received from Quicken's quote provider will be displayed under Quote in the column at the left.

Is there a number next to Change?

If you click on Update and Edit Price History, are there entries next to yesterday and today's dates?

Go to Tools > Security List and make sure Download quotes is selected next to each security you are tracking. The quote data should be downloaded for each security where (download quotes is selected) AND ( (you have a non-zero share balance) OR (Watch List is selected) )
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    Each time I update quotes I'm go to the day before to see the ending quote of that day, but that is where there is no price listed. I know the holdings have a day change +or- because of watchlist reports from MSN , But quicken doesn't want to show (display) them for many hrs. after I do an update at 5 am for the day before , It shows total day change at bottom next to total value, But doesn't show price day change of each share, takes software hrs. to put it in portfolio display. Why ? bad software
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    Jim
    "For a company where the Price Day Change is blank, click on the name of the company to display the Security Detail View. The data received from Quicken's quote provider will be displayed under Quote in the column at the left."

Is there a number next to Change? I tried No Change

"If you click on Update and Edit Price History, are there entries next to yesterday and today's dates?" I tried No Change

"Go to Tools > Security List and make sure Download quotes is selected next to each security you are tracking. The quote data should be downloaded for each security " I had those names, securities selected with a check mark. So I went and cleared them all, and started over check marking them all (7) hit done , Closed Quicken, Opened quicken hit update in portfolio , 2 of the 7 selected showed a "Price day change" the total was correct for "Day Gain/ Loss" for yesterday. Just wish we could get all 7 to display up to date info.
  • Jim_Harman
    I am trying to tell whether the Price day change data is missing from the quote download. If you can identify a couple of the problem securities, we can try to download the quotes and see if we also have a problem.

What do you mean by "I tried No Change"? Is there a number next to "Change" in the Security Detail view or is it blank?

In the price history, are there entries for today's and yesterday's dates or not?
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    "The data received from Quicken's quote provider will be displayed under Quote in the column at the left." Is there a number next to Change? = I tried No Change .
    problem securities, VOO ,QQQ, VDC, EFA, BIV, GFACX theses are showing a +/-- on MSN watchlist and My Yahoo portfolio whenever I check, before updating quotes on Quicken because Quicken doesn't show any info in Price Day Change column
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    I have 7 holdings (symbols) each time I hit update (quotes) from my portfolio I'm viewing, it updates the totals at the bottom Day gain/loss but doesn't display " Price Day Change" for each of the holdings for the most recent closing date, usually the date before. I might go to checking or savings accts. and then back to portfolio 10 min. later still no prices, 10 hrs. later prices maybe showing. I'm using Quicken Premier 2019 ver. R19.44.
    So how do we fix this ? I have already reinstalled the software, help and support don't list the topic. So any suggestions, please reply
    Thanks , Tim
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    "For a company where the Price Day Change is blank, click on the name of the company to display the Security Detail View. The data received from Quicken's quote provider will be displayed under Quote in the column at the left."

Is there a number next to Change? I tried No Change

"If you click on Update and Edit Price History, are there entries next to yesterday and today's dates?" I tried No Change

"Go to Tools > Security List and make sure Download quotes is selected next to each security you are tracking. The quote data should be downloaded for each security " I had those names, securities selected with a check mark. So I went and cleared them all, and started over check marking them all (7) hit done , Closed Quicken, Opened quicken hit update in portfolio , 2 of the 7 selected showed a "Price day change" the total was correct for "Day Gain/ Loss" for yesterday. Just wish we could get all 7 to display up to date info.
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > I am trying to tell whether the Price day change data is missing from the quote download. If you can identify a couple of the problem securities, we can try to download the quotes and see if we also have a problem.
    >
    > What do you mean by "I tried No Change"? Is there a number next to "Change" in the Security Detail view or is it blank?
    >
    > In the price history, are there entries for today's and yesterday's dates or not?
  • Tim Moeller
    Tim Moeller Member ✭✭
    "The data received from Quicken's quote provider will be displayed under Quote in the column at the left." Is there a number next to Change? = I tried No Change .
    problem securities, VOO ,QQQ, VDC, EFA, BIV, GFACX theses are showing a +/-- on MSN watchlist and My Yahoo portfolio whenever I check, before updating quotes on Quicken because Quicken doesn't show any info in Price Day Change column
  • sbender47@
    sbender47@ Member
    I have the same problem with Price Day Change. I have 14 account entries, the first 2 show Price Day Change and the last 3 are also correct. The 9 in the middle (which are not always the same stocks) never show a value (always blank). I have found that if I go to CUSTOMIZE, select Price Day Change fron the righthand column, hit MOVE UP, hit MOVE DOWN, hit OK all the Price Day Change values are filled in.

I hope this helps someone find the solution to the problem.
This discussion has been closed.