Trying to create a monthly billing that needs to be split into 4 sub categories.

Trying to track a monthly bill that needs to be split into 4 sometimes 5 sub categories. This is a private club situation. Monthly payment doesn't match the actual bill as some are prepayments. Tried to use the CC route with little success.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @BonnieG In the split, the Transfer column is the third column; you can select the account to transfer to there, without needing to type the brackets in the category field; it does the same thing, so it's just as matter of which you prefer.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might help, if you gave us an example of the kind of splits you have to make, without giving away any personal information.
    Are you, for example, making one payment from your checking account to one bank, which in turn splits the payment among several business credit cards for which you only get one monthly statement?
  • BonnieG
    BonnieG Member ✭✭
    This is not a bank but a private golfing club that breaks down food spent in the restaurant, purchases at pro shop and costs of golfing + a few more which change every month depending on how much we "charge".
    I would like to set it up like a CC account with manual entries but am not sure if I can use the "transfer payment to..." under the Transfer Category.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so if I understand, you're receiving this bill from the club ... and want to split it to use multiple categories for the amounts that make up the total of the bill from the club.
    Is that correct?
    If so, why doesn't a simple transaction that you split to reflect the various categories work?
    If not correct, please elaborate.
    OR, are you involved  in creating this bill on behalf of the club?  In which case Quicken is a VERY poor tool for this function ... you'd need Quickbooks.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BonnieG
    BonnieG Member ✭✭
    We receive a monthly statement/bill with the charges. The club card is like a credit card where you charge food, pro shop, golf, and the sub categories I am trying to split the total amount due in.
    When there is a balance carried forward (Same as if you carry a balance on a CC) The amount of the check paid is different that the Statement so breaking down the check doesn't match the statement/bill.
    I am not doing this on behalf of a club. I am a member of this club.
    It would be the same as any Country Club membership.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't you setup your club card as a credit card account? Each charge would be recorded to the correct category in that account. When you make a payment, it would be a transfer from the payment account to the club card account.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello BonnieG. Appreciate your question.

This is doable in Quicken if the amounts are the same each month.

* Click on "Schedule" on the bottom of the screen.
    * Set your first date and every month that you want this to happen:

You would put the total of all the expenses and then split them per category....

Hope this helps. Please let us know if this is what you are looking for or if you have other questions..

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • BonnieG
    BonnieG Member ✭✭
    Thank you Harold but the charges are different each month depending on our spending.
    At this point my question is ....If I set this up as a CC and make the partial payment from my checking account would the "Transfer to.." be considered as a transfer of money from my checking the same as a CC and not interfere with my income?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Transfer is neither Income nor Expense ... so the answer to your question is YES!

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BonnieG
    BonnieG Member ✭✭
    Okay we are almost there.....how exactly should this transfer look in the Categories? In other words just how would I establish a sub category for the club? When I have tried I cannot get it to appear in Transfer but shows as expense and does this double all the charges? I am confused on how to implement this and the help line only explains what can be done but not how to. Thank you
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BonnieG said:
    Okay we are almost there.....how exactly should this transfer look in the Categories? In other words just how would I establish a sub category for the club? When I have tried I cannot get it to appear in Transfer but shows as expense and does this double all the charges? I am confused on how to implement this and the help line only explains what can be done but not how to. Thank you
    A transfer doesn't need a category. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BonnieG
    BonnieG Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for your patience. It was the brackets around where to post the transfer that I needed.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @BonnieG In the split, the Transfer column is the third column; you can select the account to transfer to there, without needing to type the brackets in the category field; it does the same thing, so it's just as matter of which you prefer.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BonnieG
    BonnieG Member ✭✭
    Thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.