How do I delete a report with an invalid report name?

I have an old report originally created in Quicken for Mac ("Report on Medical/Doctor& Dentist Fees") that has been delete in my Quicken app. However, every time I initiate an accounts update to refresh downloaded transactions, this report creates a file/folder in the Reports folder under the Quicken app. It causes my OneDrive app to display an error, and I have to open Finder, delete the file/folder. I believe it is due to the "/" (forward slash) that is in the file name. What causes this, and how to I fix it so this doesn't get recreated each time? There is no report in the Q app to delete.

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paul. Appreciate your question.

In order to delete a Report in Quicken, you will need to choose the Reports nenu, go into the report that you want to remove, and then while in the report, go back to the Reports menu and choose "Delete Report" and it will remove the report from Quicken.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if this works or if you have any other questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Paul Galley
    Paul Galley Member ✭✭
    Understood, but I've already done that. I deleted the report in Quicken months ago, and it no longer appears in Quicken's list of reports (first attachment). But the report keeps reappearing in Finder (second attachment). I have to delete this in Finder, and OneDrive can then continue syncing.

Other suggestions?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    This looks like you are opening your data file package to delete the "report folder". Why are you even going into your data file package via the Finder? That is not really intended for regular user access. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Paul Galley
    Paul Galley Member ✭✭
    I agree that one should NOT have to delete reports in the data file package. This has been a unique experience limited only to this one report. The report does not exist in Quicken (at least in the drop down list of reports from the Reports menu). The reason I encountered this is that the OneDrive app notifies me there is a problem that prevents syncing (OneDrive1), and directs the user to the folder location where the problem file exists (OneDrive2, OneDrive3). That's why I delete it there. The report was deleted long ago in the Quicken app, yet it keeps getting recreated in the data file package. Go figure?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, strange behaviour. Is the sync bi-directional? Could it be that OneDrive is trying to sync back to your drive? Is that report folder present in the OneDrive copy and copying it back, thereby appearing as if it is being created by Quicken when it might simply be copied from the OneDrive version? 
    (I am only speculating because I have no direct experience with OneDrive).

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Paul Galley
    Paul Galley Member ✭✭
    Yes, the sync is bi-directional. My Quicken application resides in my local OneDrive drive. Quicken somehow recreates the troublesome report file on the local OneDrive, but the forward slash in the file name prevents it from syncing to the cloud. I've checked many times.... this file never makes it to the cloud.

As a workaround, I'll use selective syncing to OneDrive, disabling the associated Reports folder. Hopefully that will eliminate the syncing problem.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've reported this to Quicken to see if this might be a bug to be dealt with. You can also use the "Report a problem" menu item under the Help menu in Quicken to submit this issue, which gets submitted directly to the developers. Unfortunately, that avenue does not provide a way to get feedback from them.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed asking the first time but where is your active data file stored? IT should not reside in a folder that is synced with ANY cloud service. This is known to eventually create corruption in the data file. Only backup files should be stored in the synced folder.

This discussion has been closed.