Quicken for Mac v5.12 Released

Comments

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus have the BoughtX and SoldX transaction types been implemented in Mac, or at least will they convert properly if migrating from QWin? The last time I tried a conversion from the Windows version my transaction registers were so out of balance from 20 years of these transaction types there was no chance of having a workable file without starting over and giving up transaction history. Thanks!
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    @Concordman - Renaming Rules

Thank you, that was most helpful. I'm sure my understanding will flesh out as I work through more examples...I just needed a 'push'.

I'm not sure I understand the comment you made below, it sounds like there are two likely scenarios when you download...either you get the payee that is shown on the bank statement, or Quicken can intercede and change the bank's payee to something it suggests instead. Are you saying that if I look at an individual transaction's detail and see the detail on the bank statement is different than the payee Quicken downloaded, that I will not be able to rename Quicken's choice?? I'm missing something here...

"Now what I found most interesting while learning how to use this feature is that if you use "if Quicken name is ..whatever" when you download again it will not take the name you have set up..In this case needed to use the CCRD name..make sure you have all the items set up describing the name."
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
     This is how I understand it, by the way I welcome all comments from the Quicken folks if I am not reading this correctly.

What I have observed using the renaming rules is if I set the feature to the Quicken name  I am able to change existing and past transactions. New transactions require that I have to use the credit card statement name .

I played with this for a little while and observed that the name provided by your credit card statement will overrule what quicken thinks/ wants to use. Hope this helps
  • Is anyone else having this issue? If I make a transfer from one account to another Quicken transfers money again without my permission. Just yesterday, Quicken transferred $200 from my checking to three savings accounts. It leaves a message on my register that says PUBLIC HB. i called the bank and they determined from the IP address that it was Quicken doing this. I contacted Quicken support yesterday and they reset my account and said it wouldn't happen again. HA! Today, it transferred another $100 to one of my savings accounts. I HATE this new update.
  • Tom Anderson
    Tom Anderson Member ✭✭
    I posted this elsewhere and it was suggested that I include this in the release comments forum, too.

Getting to the details of a scheduled task is now a convoluted mess. It used to be simple to highlight one of these and select edit transaction wherein the split details could be modified rather easily - now you have to jump through hoops and it is not clear what to do. You have completely screwed this whole process up = what are the current instructions????? The problem with programmers is that they have their own thought flow of what is needed to complete a task. In so doing, it may be the architecture of the program and not the logic of what is needed to complete a task. Fundamentally, choose a scheduled transaction - want to change values of portions of the split list for a future (read next) cycle of the transaction. Modify one or more items in the split, adjust the overall total of the transaction, end of story. Not 10 steps with a bunch of little flags buzzing around to select. It was pretty easy before - now a MESS.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
     This is how I understand it, by the way I welcome all comments from the Quicken folks if I am not reading this correctly.

What I have observed using the renaming rules is if I set the feature to the Quicken name  I am able to change existing and past transactions. New transactions require that I have to use the credit card statement name .

I played with this for a little while and observed that the name provided by your credit card statement will overrule what quicken thinks/ wants to use. Hope this helps
    This confuses me. Are you saying that after I change the name to what I want for a recurring download, future downloads will use the words from the FI? If this is the case I don't see the point in changing anything. I feel I must be misunderstanding something.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus A user has asked what I think is a good question in this thread: why doesn't the new functionality for editing the next instance of a scheduled transaction allow the user to edit the Memo field? You can change the date or amount. I'd broaden the question to: why can't the user edit any of the fields, such as category or tags, when editing the next instance of a scheduled transaction; all these fields are grayed out and cannot be changed (until the transaction is marked as paid);
    It is a good question with probably an unsatisfactory answer.  The reason is that Quicken Windows doesn't support it and the Quicken Cloud's feature set for scheduled transactions is defined by Quicken Windows.  We aren't syncing scheduled transactions in 5.12 but the feature is defined by the Quicken Cloud feature set.  I can see there is some value in being able to edit more than the date and amount and I personally think we should allow one to edit future instances in addition to the next instance but we don't allow that today. In beta, we noticed there were a number of people who confused editing the next instance with marking the scheduled transaction as paid. If you want to edit those fields you can still mark the transaction as paid and edit them.  Of course, the downside is they become real transactions and one may not want them to become real because it changes their workflow and how they track paying bills, etc. This doesn't mean we won't allow editing of memo and other fields in the future but it's not there today.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    What I am saying is make sure to insert the conditions as set by the CCRD statement, use the pull down menu to use statement vs quicken. See the screensaver I attached in my previous reply
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    I definitely like the new ability to quickly modify the date and/or amount of the next scheduled transaction without impacting future scheduled transactions. This is a time and click saver. However, something strange occurs if that scheduled transaction is a split. You can quickly change the overall amount of a split using this shortcut, but Quicken 5.12 does not immediately update any split amounts, so the sum of splits is now in disagreement for the modified transaction. This seems inconsistent with the way Quicken has worked previously. As a test I manually marked the modified scheduled split as paid, just to see what happens. At the point of payment Quicken 5.12 now inserts an additional split amount making up the difference. I presume at that point you would have to go into the transaction and modify the splits to reflect reality. This is not typically the way I would prefer to work - I would rather make the change up front and not defer the edits until after payment.

I have another comment on the new UI for scheduled transactions. It seems that you cannot simultaneously adjust the total scheduled amount and the splits amounts in one dialog box. You first have to set the total, then open the splits dialog to set those. This may result in some back and forth if either side needs adjusting. The previous method of reusing the splits editor for scheduled transactions made all amounts accessible in one pane, allowing easy total and splits adjustment back and forth. I am concerned the new method may be less user friendly.

Finally, I do miss the ability to select specific months for scheduled transactions (i.e. not all months of the year). I guess I was one of the few who used this feature and after upgrade I have a bunch of singleton scheduled transactions for each month of the year where I have future payments. This will be a pain to maintain going forward, as now I will have to update $ amounts for 5 or 6 separate monthly scheduled transactions vs. only a single one with a specific monthly schedule. This change makes things worse not better for me.
  • Quicken Marcus
    RCinNJ said:

This confuses me. Are you saying that after I change the name to what I want for a recurring download, future downloads will use the words from the FI? If this is the case I don't see the point in changing anything. I feel I must be misunderstanding something.
    The way renaming rules work is that you can use either the Quicken Name or the Statement Name to define the rule.  Both work on downloading a transaction.  The difference is that the Quicken Name is more restrictive in that the entire Quicken Name is used to trigger the renaming.  For a Statement Name you can define portions of the name to use in the rule so you have more flexibility.   The Statement Name is the name that the bank gives the transaction and is usually quite convoluted and long sometimes spanning both the Payee Name and Memo fields.  The Quicken Name is typically the nice name that our aggregation service gives it but they don't always do a good job and they will sometimes fall back on the crazy statement name.  In any case, all rules are applied to new downloaded transactions.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Don Awalt said:
    @Quicken Marcus have the BoughtX and SoldX transaction types been implemented in Mac, or at least will they convert properly if migrating from QWin? The last time I tried a conversion from the Windows version my transaction registers were so out of balance from 20 years of these transaction types there was no chance of having a workable file without starting over and giving up transaction history. Thanks!
    We have not added the boughtx or soldx types from Quicken Windows but I thought we converted better than you described since this can be represented by 2 separate transactions - one for the buy and the other for the transfer.  Are your accounts single-mutual fund accounts or a 401K account without cash?  It's possible we may have problems with these types of accounts on import but I don't know specifically.
  • Quicken Marcus
    I posted this elsewhere and it was suggested that I include this in the release comments forum, too.

Getting to the details of a scheduled task is now a convoluted mess. It used to be simple to highlight one of these and select edit transaction wherein the split details could be modified rather easily - now you have to jump through hoops and it is not clear what to do. You have completely screwed this whole process up = what are the current instructions????? The problem with programmers is that they have their own thought flow of what is needed to complete a task. In so doing, it may be the architecture of the program and not the logic of what is needed to complete a task. Fundamentally, choose a scheduled transaction - want to change values of portions of the split list for a future (read next) cycle of the transaction. Modify one or more items in the split, adjust the overall total of the transaction, end of story. Not 10 steps with a bunch of little flags buzzing around to select. It was pretty easy before - now a MESS.
    Tom, can you describe in more detail about what you're doing?  Are you trying to edit the instance, the transaction or the scheduled transaction model?  We never allowed one to edit the instance before so this is new.  In beta, we noticed a number of people got confused between the instance and the transaction and I think this may be the case you're running into.  What you want to do to mirror previous behavior is to simply click the Mark As Paid button on the mini-toolbar to convert the scheduled transaction instance into a transaction.  Once it's a regular transaction you can work with it like any transaction.  Click details and edit splits.
  • Quicken Marcus
    J_Mike said:
    @James Sapp
    Re: Columns Icon issue.

Running Version 5.12.2 on a 27" iMac/Mojave.

Am seeing same or very similar issue with Columns Icon in investment account portfolio view,
    1). Click on Columns icon at lower right of display.
    2). A small box with the top entry ("Actions") of the columns list appears (see screen shot)

3). Move cursor to bottom edge of the "Action: box and the full columns list scrolls up the page.
    4) Only see this behavior with investment accounts. In non-investment accounts, the full column list pops up on clickong the icon.
    5)  Observed same behavior in Ver 5.12.1

James Sapp and J Mike, Can you try to change the columns by RIght Clicking or CTRL clicking the register header to see if it works the same way?  We can't reproduce it here so we need more information to be able to fix it. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    moski said:
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > In the register when looking at Reinvested Dividend transactions the amount is always 0 because there is a dividend received and then shares are purchased which results in no change from a cash perspective.  Customers who are focused on dividends wanted the ability to see what dividend amount they received in the register. The Investment Amount column will display the dollar amount for the dividend.  It's a really nice way to look at your dividends coming in and making sure they are the amounts you expect.

Thanks Marcus. I think maybe the reason it's less important for me is because of the way my financial institution downloads all transactions. They separate out the actual dividend first and record a new buy transaction, so I've always been seeing these dollar amounts. But as I think back to how my old institution (ML) did this, I do recall they had everything in one transaction so this feature would be more important. Cheers!
    That's interesting.  Quicken is supposed to combine Dividend and Buy transactions into a Reinvested dividend but we had a bug where we weren't doing that properly and in some cases creating duplicate dividends that is fixed in 5.12 so it will be interesting to see if this changes for you.
  • Quicken Marcus
    UPDATE BROKE MY ONLINE BILL PAYMENTS! When I try and send a bill payment now it says the ZIP code is incorrect. Never had that issue prior to this update. Shame on me for updating!

When I edit the payment amount and click on pay now (using bank bill pay), the bill disappears from my register.. poof.. just gone. never connects to the bank. this was a behavior in the 5.11 version as well.. Where do they go? This DOES NOT happen on every bill payee.
    We didn't touch anything in Bill Pay so it might be a change at your bank.  Do you have a 9 digit zip code? We are aware of an issue with zip codes that will be fixed in an upcoming release where we're including the hyphen in the 5+4 zip codes which some banks like Chase choke on.  So it's possible your bank allowed the hyphen before but then upgraded their systems and now the hyphen isn't allowed or did you edit the zip code recently on the Payee screen and added the 4 extra digits?

I don't have any ideas why a bill pay transaction would disappear.  Are you clicking Pay Now in the register details panel or on Bills & Income?
  • Tom Anderson
    Tom Anderson Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Tom, can you describe in more detail about what you're doing?  Are you trying to edit the instance, the transaction or the scheduled transaction model?  We never allowed one to edit the instance before so this is new.  In beta, we noticed a number of people got confused between the instance and the transaction and I think this may be the case you're running into.  What you want to do to mirror previous behavior is to simply click the Mark As Paid button on the mini-toolbar to convert the scheduled transaction instance into a transaction.  Once it's a regular transaction you can work with it like any transaction.  Click details and edit splits.

Scheduled transaction - wanting to NOT FLAG as PAID to make changes on the NEXT transaction but to change some, but not all, of the splits AND have the total adjust for any differences, i.e. (sum of all splits yields transaction amount) Why do I have to mark as paid and then get to make changes - when in point of fact the transaction has yet to be completed (prior to scheduled date.) Having to mark as paid is a crutch for lousy (or lazy) programming and was not necessary in previous versions.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    J_Mike said:
    @James Sapp 
    Re: Columns Icon issue.

Running Version 5.12.2 on a 27" iMac/Mojave.

Am seeing same or very similar issue with Columns Icon in investment account portfolio view,
    1). Click on Columns icon at lower right of display.
    2). A small box with the top entry ("Actions") of the columns list appears (see screen shot)

3). Move cursor to bottom edge of the "Action: box and the full columns list scrolls up the page.
    4) Only see this behavior with investment accounts. In non-investment accounts, the full column list pops up on clickong the icon.
    5)  Observed same behavior in Ver 5.12.1

James Sapp and J Mike, Can you try to change the columns by RIght Clicking or CTRL clicking the register header to see if it works the same way?  We can't reproduce it here so we need more information to be able to fix it.  

Quicken Marcus

In Transaction View of an investment account;

Right-click on the register header gives the normal response; i.e., the full column list pops up.

Clicking the Columns Icon (lower right of register) gives the results displayed in the creen shot - the small box containing "action" appears.
    Hoveringthe cursor over the "Action" box and making a slight downward movement causes the box to scroll up the screen (Expand upward) until the full column list is displayed.
    One can then select/deselect columns - normal behavior.
    Clicking on the "Action" box gives no response.

Edit....

One more tidbit;
    Switch the display to Full Screen and clicking the Columns Icon gives expected response - the full list pops up.
    Switch back out of Full Screen and the behavior described above returns.
    This again is for Investment Account, Transaction View.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2019
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Tom, can you describe in more detail about what you're doing?  Are you trying to edit the instance, the transaction or the scheduled transaction model?  We never allowed one to edit the instance before so this is new.  In beta, we noticed a number of people got confused between the instance and the transaction and I think this may be the case you're running into.  What you want to do to mirror previous behavior is to simply click the Mark As Paid button on the mini-toolbar to convert the scheduled transaction instance into a transaction.  Once it's a regular transaction you can work with it like any transaction.  Click details and edit splits.

Scheduled transaction - wanting to NOT FLAG as PAID to make changes on the NEXT transaction but to change some, but not all, of the splits AND have the total adjust for any differences, i.e. (sum of all splits yields transaction amount) Why do I have to mark as paid and then get to make changes - when in point of fact the transaction has yet to be completed (prior to scheduled date.) Having to mark as paid is a crutch for lousy (or lazy) programming and was not necessary in previous versions.
    Tom, you could never edit the next instance in previous versions.  We didn't have that capability.  This is new in 5.12.  If you didn't Mark the transaction as Paid then you must have been editing the Scheduled Transaction Model which affects all future scheduled transactions.  You can still do this by clicking on Edit All Instances and then clicking on the Splits button. Because of the confusion between editing the instance and editing the model, we decided to make the experience different so customers wouldn't get confused between the 2.  Since editing the model is more rare, we decided to move that into a sheet so it's harder to accidentally edit the model.  Editing the instance is done in the register.  I think the other issue customers are expressing is that they want to edit more fields of the instance than just the Date and Amount like the splits. This makes sense but isn't currently supported primarily because Quicken Windows and the Quicken Cloud don't support it. So in summary, to work with Quicken Mac in the same way you used to requires a slightly different path but isn't that different. 1) Double Click on scheduled instance. 2) Click on Edit All Instances 3) Click on Splits.
  • Quicken Marcus
    J_Mike said:

Quicken Marcus

Right-click on the register header gives the normal response; i.e., the full column list pops up.

Clicking the Columns Icon (lower right of register) gives the results displayed in the creen shot - the small box containing "action" appears.
    Hoveringthe cursor over the "Action" box and making a slight downward movement causes the box to scroll up the screen (Expand upward) until the full column list is displayed.

Edit....

One more tidbit;
    Switch the display to Full Screen and clicking the Columns Icon gives expected response - the full list pops up.

That's really interesting.  I spoke to the engineer who wrote that feature and she's perplexed too.  We don't really control how that menu is drawn.  macOS decides where to position the menu and whether or not there's enough space to draw the menu and if there isn't enough space it will shrink it so it fits.  For some odd reason, macOS thinks there's not enough space to draw the menu.  I'm not sure there's anything we can do to fix that.  I notice you've got a Windows VM running in the background.  Could that be affecting this?  Is there any other third-party utility or something that could affect window sizes.  For example, I have an app called Magnet that pops windows to specific screen sizes when moving my mouse to different locations on the screen.  I'm not running it now but I'll turn it on to see if it affects this. Does anyone else have ideas?  Also, have you tried rebooting your computer to see if that fixes it? I guess the good news is there are ways to get around it.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    s2kdriver said:
    Great new 5.12 release with many new features. I particularly like the new "Investment Amount" column which shows dividend and interest reinvestment amounts. However, I have a concerns about this new feature in the case of Remove Shares transactions. I see several differences vs. 5.11 as follows:

a) For Remove Shares transactions, the Description/Category now shows number of shares removed at the market price vs. just the removed share count (as per 5.11). Adding the price here does not make sense since no purchase or sale was made. I am not sure how to interpret this.

b) Similarly, for Remove Share transactions, the new Investment Amount column shows a calculation of number of shares x market value - i.e. a net loss amount if the shares would have been written off at market price (which is odd since you would normally use cost basis for this). However, they weren't written off, just removed from an account (in my case for transfer to another account or exchanged for other shares). This Investment Amount calculation at market is potentially misleading, and I trust does not influence other more important areas like monthly net income in reports and in the overview bar chart. If so, that would be a regression and incorrect. I wonder if some other number would be more useful here such as the cost basis of the removed shares, or $0.

c) This next one may be a regression/defect: Inside the Specify Lots dialog in Remove Shares transactions, the previous behaviour in 5.11 displayed the cost basis of the removed shares for each lot and in total (in the Gain/Loss column). This was useful behaviour and provided needed cost basis information as shares were moved to a new account or exchanged for other replacement shares. Cost basis is required for complementary Add Shares transactions. The new behaviour in the 5.12 Remove Shares Specify Lots dialog seems to show Gain/Loss amounts relative to the current market price, as if there were a virtual sale of the removed shares. This is truly misleading useless information and eliminates cost basis information which is needed. Please look into this for a potential defect or unintended regression.

I have taken screen shots of example Remove Shares transactions before and after upgrade, showing differences in the Specify Lots dialog. I can provide this privately if someone from the dev team wishes to contact me.

** follow-up** After thinking about this more, the common reason for all the above issues is due to adoption of market price for Remove Shares in 5.12 vs. use of a $0 price for Remove Shares in 5.11 and earlier. From my perspective and for reasons stated above, market price is the wrong choice. Better choices would be either a) cost basis or b) retain a $0 price as per earlier releases.
    Our engineer who wrote all of this is on vacation so I can't double-check with him but I believe he is using the closing price of the security on the transaction date to estimate the market value on that date. If you're looking just at this account alone, there is a loss of value that needs to be estimated for IRR calculations even though that value was transferred to another account.  Does that make sense?

On your specify lots point, I'm not sure I've set it up in a way to see the issue.  I think I'll need more specifics or screenshots.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2019
    mrhargro said:
    Was so excited b/c I thought this release had auto categorizing based on previous behavior, but no. I actually never have issues with the payee name.

There are recategorization that I basically have to do every day, and wish i didn't. E.g. I've created a Category for Amazon, b/c unfortunately I spend a lot of money there. Anything with Payee gets that Amazon category, but I have to do that every day. Wish I could do what you did with the Payee to that categorization.

Hoping this release is an iteration in that direction.
    For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    Just updated - flawless

I was hoping for an enhancement in reports that would give me a Liquidity Report.

I want to have rows of selected asset accounts with their respective totals.

Have not been able to get this done at this time!

Am I missing something?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 
    But that only works with Quicken's pre-defined categories, right? It seems what many users expect, or want, is to be able to categorize a transaction the way they want, and to have Quicken "learn" and do it the same time they have a transaction from the same Payee. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • robino86354
    robino86354 Member
    edited August 2019
    After the update last night, the budgets tab now defaults to August 2018. I now need to tab through 12 months of history every time I move away from the tab. What should I do to correct the problem? Someone from support via chat said to delete the file and start over....that would be terrible!
  • Evd
    Evd Member ✭✭
    I installed Version 5.12.2 (Build 512.29221.100) yesterday, and I regret to say that this is a very bad version. So many obvious problems that it looks like it was released without testing.
    For example; category totals are wrong when using accounts with different currencies ($ and Euro), after syncing my Amex carts the balance is wrong.
    This is not worthy of my annual subscription payment. Deteriorating quality and still important functions missing (e.g. automatically adjust credit car monthly payment to pay full balance).
    Can I roll back to the previous verion until the 5.12 works?
  • Tom Anderson
    Tom Anderson Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Tom, you could never edit the next instance in previous versions.  We didn't have that capability.  This is new in 5.12.  If you didn't Mark the transaction as Paid then you must have been editing the Scheduled Transaction Model which affects all future scheduled transactions.  You can still do this by clicking on Edit All Instances and then clicking on the Splits button. Because of the confusion between editing the instance and editing the model, we decided to make the experience different so customers wouldn't get confused between the 2.  Since editing the model is more rare, we decided to move that into a sheet so it's harder to accidentally edit the model.  Editing the instance is done in the register.  I think the other issue customers are expressing is that they want to edit more fields of the instance than just the Date and Amount like the splits. This makes sense but isn't currently supported primarily because Quicken Windows and the Quicken Cloud don't support it. So in summary, to work with Quicken Mac in the same way you used to requires a slightly different path but isn't that different. 1) Double Click on scheduled instance. 2) Click on Edit All Instances 3) Click on Splits.

Seems that I was doing just what you claim I could not. Even if I was grabbing the model and all future transaction dates - was a lot easier = I just tried your alternative universe solution to editing and all I can get to is a details dialog window. This dialog has Details and Schedule - nothing more and not a clue of a button for splits. So I do not believe your described process is functional. Marking the next scheduled instance of this transaction is a crutch for following how things are paid as far as I am concerned. I do see that by marking a transaction like this leads to allowing the splits to be edited. I don't see why you cannot have the flexibility to make the (not marked as paid) transaction editable. This represents the more real life flow of a transaction like this. There are or should be two types of scheduled transactions - a fixed path for every future transaction and one that follows a date, but the detailed splits vary. The first may be similar to a mortgage payment, the second could well be credit card payments where say the outstanding balance is paid. Or the case I use where rent payment includes various utilities, too.
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 

This has had no effect in improving auto categorization for me. I have to change categories on a few transactions every time. It will not learn. Example: A local diner I frequent named Goodys Cafe is always, without exception, upon down loading auto categorized as Clothing. I must manually change it to Food & Dining:Restaurants every time. Rather than chase the learning curve, give us the ability to edit the category and tags in the payees/renaming rules screen.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus

J_Mike said:

Quicken Marcus

Edit....

One more tidbit;

That's really interesting.  I spoke to the engineer who wrote that feature and she's perplexed too.  We don't really control how that menu is drawn.  macOS decides where to position the menu and whether or not there's enough space to draw the menu and if there isn't enough space it will shrink it so it fits.  For some odd reason, macOS thinks there's not enough space to draw the menu.  I'm not sure there's anything we can do to fix that.  I notice you've got a Windows VM running in the background.  Could that be affecting this?  Is there any other third-party utility or something that could affect window sizes.  For example, I have an app called Magnet that pops windows to specific screen sizes when moving my mouse to different locations on the screen.  I'm not running it now but I'll turn it on to see if it affects this. Does anyone else have ideas?  Also, have you tried rebooting your computer to see if that fixes it? I guess the good news is there are ways to get around it.

I typically run a VM for my QWin app - Parallels12/Win10.
    Rebooted and started only the QMac app.
    Observed exactly the same behavior with Columns icon.

Yes, not a significant issue for me - just interesting!!

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Our engineer who wrote all of this is on vacation so I can't double-check with him but I believe he is using the closing price of the security on the transaction date to estimate the market value on that date. If you're looking just at this account alone, there is a loss of value that needs to be estimated for IRR calculations even though that value was transferred to another account.  Does that make sense?
    >
    > On your specify lots point, I'm not sure I've set it up in a way to see the issue.  I think I'll need more specifics or screenshots.

Thanks Marcus for your response. However, even in 5.11 and earlier I believe the IRR calculation was being done correctly using the market value on the date of the Remove Shares transaction. This was confirmed to me by one of your developers during a related defect investigation back in May. I think the only difference in 5.12 is that you made a decision to display this market value as part of the transaction register for Remove Shares, as well as influence the Gain/Loss values in the related Specify Lots dialog. This was the unexpected aspect for me. However, if this will be the new normal, I will have to find a different method to view the cost basis for the removed shares and their lots. As an alternative I may be able to use the portfolio value view in combination with a specific date selection (i.e. before and after the remove shares date). I will have to adapt my workflow, but this looks possible. It just won't be as flexible or convenient as the Specify Lots method, especially if I am removing only a portion of the shares, leaving some behind. In that case the cost basis calculations will be trickier to compute using the portfolio view.

If you are interested in seeing screenshots of the differences in values shown in the Specify Lots dialog box in 5.12 vs 5.11, I can supply those to you via email or file transfer since they contain private information about holdings. Please message me if you would like to follow up. Thanks.
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    It seems that by using Projected Balances I can get the desired results. A workaround I can live with for now.

Very hard for me to comprehend why the Reports are still a bit shy in comparison to Windows version. Takes a long time between updates/costly subscription and still lacking rudimentary functions.

Try to do a "old-school" Net Worth Report. i.e. Accounts and Totals. That is unachievable!

> @Chris said:
    > Just updated - flawless
    >
    > I was hoping for an enhancement in reports that would give me a Liquidity Report.
    >
    > I want to have rows of selected asset accounts with their respective totals.
    >
    > Have not been able to get this done at this time!
    >
    > Am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.