Can I upgrade from version 2008 to the latest subscription version?

I've been a quicken user since early 2000 and have been happily using v2008 until my harddisk crashed. If I upgrade to the deluxe subscription version will i be able to restore the data from a v2008 backup?

Best Answer

Answers

• bcrob
    bcrob Member ✭✭
    volvogirl: I've been using Q2008 and in the backup folder I only see a QDF files, format 'name-date.QDF' occasionally there's a second with what appears to be a timestamp 'name-date.PM##.##.QDF'
    I've installed Q2013 and when I attempt to restore either file I get to the password step then I get the message: "Cannot open file. The QDF file is from a later version of Quicken."

Any suggestions?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you upgraded in the past to a newer version? Or your spouse or someone did?  Maybe if you log into Quicken you can tell if you bought a newer version.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• bcrob
    bcrob Member ✭✭
    Nope that's the version we were using, we had updated until they quit supporting that version:(

So if V2013 can't restore what's the likelihood that the latest version will be able to convert the file?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bcrob Let's double-check exactly what Q product you're using.  Please do HELP, About Quicken ... and tell us the BUILD info that you find there.
    Also, at the very top of your Q window, what's everything that it says there, after the RED Q logo?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bcrob
    bcrob Member ✭✭
    NotACPA: Since harddisk crash I had to get a new disk, so I installed Q2008 from the original CD, when I checked the Help>About Quicken it showed R 1.0

I've since followed the instructions from link above to install R2013 and Help>About Quicken shows: Deluxe 2013 R12 (22.1.127)
  • volvogirl
    So you installed 2008 again?  Could it open your file?  And like I said before v2010 there were several files making up the data set.  When you install an old version you have to first update the program to open your data file.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

But if v2013 couldn't open your data it must be from a newer version.

• bcrob
    bcrob Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA when I tried restoring from both R2008 and R2013 I get the same error: "Cannot open file. The QDF file is from a later version of Quicken."

I'll switch to the subscription version but only if I can access the existing data?
  • bcrob
    bcrob Member ✭✭
    @volvogirl thanks for help when I click on the link it stipulates US versions and I'm using a Canadian flavour. Even if I follow the link I don't see any updates for 2008 nor 2013, because I've installed R2013 in desperation I downloaded the 'Canada Mondo Patch Update' but it bombed when executing!

Again thanks for the help.
  • volvogirl
    Oh, that puts a whole new wrinkle in the mix.  Canada is different than US.  Someone else will have to help.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow the link that volvogirl provided, but when you get there, click on Quicken  Info at the top of the screen, then on Quicken Patches, and then QuickenPatchesCanadian to find the mondo that you need.
    You MIGHT need to try several until you find the one that matches the product that you actually have installed.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bcrob ,

Go to:  http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html

Scroll down until you see:
    Quicken 2008
    Release R4

Uninstall everything and start over.
    Reinstall Quicken 2008 CD and do not launch the product, until after applying Release R4 patch.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.