Turning off on-line actions/activities

Options
I've started getting familiar with "new" Quicken for Mac (5.12.2). All too often, and for too long, at unpredictable times I get the spinning beach ball (for instance, just in switching from one account to another.) On a hunch, I turned off my wi-fi so I was off-line, and the spinning beach ball didn't come up anymore. I don't want to completely disconnect my machine for the internet just to improve Quicken's performance. Is there any way to tell it to "go off-line" once it has verified my account (if it needs to.) I don't download any transactions or use on-line bill paying; I haven't decided whether I want to use the mobile app, but even if I did it would only have to go on-line to update the Quicken Cloud database every now and then. Actually, I wouldn't mind, and would prefer, not have my data in the cloud at all.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Go to Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts and turn off the Sync master switch. See if that helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @RickO Thanks, but it was already off (I never turned it on.) I see now that turning the wifi off doesn't completely stop the spinning beachball, so I don't know what it's trying to do that has it putting that up. I tried importing (creating a new file from) a different QM 2007 file and noticed in the process one of the panes asks whether you want to use Mobile or Web or not. I don't remember how I answered that the first time, but this second time I clearly selected "no" — it still went ahead and created a QCS account for the new file and I still have the spinning beachball.
  • RickO
    Options
    Since you say you are still getting the beachball with wifi off, it would seem that an online process is not the cause after all. 

Do you have the account value graph displayed in any investment accounts' portfolio view? I know that can be a processor intensive activity. You can hide it by pulling the little dot under the graph to the top.

If you are tech-savvy, you could try reading the console logs for Quicken when the beachball occurs to see if that gives you a clue. Otherwise, I think contacting Quicken support would be your best bet.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BTW, a QCS account MUST be created at part of the registration process for Quicken. But no data is stored online. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @smayer97 Understand. It would appear that it actually does that whenever you create a new file, not just when you first use Quicken, whether or not you've enabled mobile/web access.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @RickO I believe I've identified part of what is causing the beachball. I just read somewhere that Quicken updates security prices at a lot of different times, if you have it set to automatic update. Included in that is when you first start Quicken and then, at least, whenever you bring up an investment window. I have roughly 200 securities across 3 different brokerages, so of course it takes a lot of time to get those prices. QM 2007 has the ability to update prices on a user-defined schedule, which is very nice, but it doesn't look like "new" Quicken does. It is scriptable, but a cursory scan of its scripting dictionary indicates it doesn't seem to have anything like "update security prices".
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are correct. That is actually more precise. Each data file gets registered. 

This also points out that backed up files need to be opened and registered too.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    Options
    tmplee said:
    @RickO I believe I've identified part of what is causing the beachball. I just read somewhere that Quicken updates security prices at a lot of different times, if you have it set to automatic update. Included in that is when you first start Quicken and then, at least, whenever you bring up an investment window. 
    To my knowledge, that's not correct. Yes, it does update when you open the file. But I don't think it updates every time you view an investment account; only when you UPDATE an investment account. I doubt this is the cause of the beachball. Sorry.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @RickO Well, here's what the Quicken help file says: "By default, security prices are updated automatically when you launch Quicken or click on an investment account." What it doesn't say is whether that update is selective in any sense, e.g. only updates securities in the account, or only happens if it was x seconds after the previous update.
  • RickO
    Options
    Interesting. I'm not sure that help file statement is correct. Later it says "If you opt out of automatic quote updates, Quicken will not attempt to download quotes and prices history when you launch Quicken."

In any case, I don't think this would cause the beachball unless you have a really slow internet connection.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @RickO Well, with QM 2007 you get a progress bar when it is uploading security prices, so you can see what it's doing. It took 20.3 seconds to download the prices for 202 securities and 15.9 seconds to process them. While I would expect (rash expectation?) "new" Quicken to process faster, the download time would be the same, and that very definitely would account for the spinning beachball. My internet connection is fast enough to watch live TV, so I doubt that's what's causing the downloads to take so long. I'm guessing it's just that the server is very busy.
This discussion has been closed.